Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen generator

Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default Hydrogen generator

Has anyone ever built a hydrogen generator and put it on a xj? Planning on building one and eventually installing it in my xj. Anyone have a thoughts?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

If you are talking about the small 12V units like a lot of people are trying, they are pretty much useless because of the limited amount of hydrogen they put out. There are small commercial units on the market that have big claims about fuel mileage gains. All snake oil.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: i6

i put an arc reactor in mine and it works awesome!!! sorry...
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 lt 6cyl

Originally Posted by crbnfibr
i put an arc reactor in mine and it works awesome!!! sorry...
good idea, what i did was use a flux capacitor and i just go back to when gas prices were cheaper. i have to re gear though it take a while to get up to 88 mph......im sorry too lol
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 PM

That soooo funny guys ...... I've seen this " snake oil " work ... so next time someone posts a serious thread ... have a serious comment not a douchy smart remark. You guys should go to NAXJA , there all ******** there.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1991cherokee
That soooo funny guys ...... I've seen this " snake oil " work ... so next time someone posts a serious thread ... have a serious comment not a douchy smart remark. You guys should go to NAXJA , there all ******** there.
no, actually thats pirate that has all of them
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 lt 6cyl

Originally Posted by 1991cherokee
jokes man jokes, your the one throwing names out. why are you so sensitive? picked on alot as a child? to answer your original post, they are pretty much jokes and dont show usefull gains
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure if you put one in your CA jeep, it would fail smog and is not CARB approved.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Hey I just get really irratated when I post a thread on here and people waste time and space to write some stupid comment. If you do not believe in them then just say they do not work or something simple. When I answer peoples questions I keep it to the point not tell them stories. Honestly I'm not "sensitive" , if we were all at a bar I wouldn't GAF what was said ...but this was a serious question because its a real thing.

And what "gains" are you folks talking about ? Mpg or Hp? I'm looking for Mpg , gas is f*ckin crazy right now.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM

Year: 1995

Energy cannot be created or destroyed you can only change its form in this case you would be burning fuel to create electricity to create hydrogen to burn it again....sounds like perpetual motion and as of yet not possible.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM

I didn't mean to get your panties twisted there 1991, my answer was very serious and addressed your question directly.
As I said, the amount of hydrogen produced by the small 12V units is negligible and when introduced into the a/f mixture of any vehicle engine it will not produce any substantial gains in either hp or mpg. Therefore, claims of gains in either rate right up there with magnets on the fuel line and that "swirl effect tornado blade" that goes in the air inlet---- snake oil.
Since I doubted you are planning to install a 300V or higher unit in your vehicle I didn't address that.

BTW- I'm a Hybrid Technician with Chrysler.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l IL6

Yeah the amount of energy required for gains just doen't add up. The alternator must convert rotational energy from the engine into electrical energy. This process is less that 100% efficient. Energy from the battery is then used to separate the electron bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms. The process of electrolysis is very inefficient for hydrogen yield (That's why we don't use it to derive hydrogen very often) It just doesn't really add up.

I have heard of the big diesel rigs adding an tank of hydrogen to ensure a much more complete burn of the diesel fuel increasing efficacy. As bad as the XJ is I am assuming the Chrysler has the fuel mixture pretty close to ideal for complete combustion. Its all the inefficacy through the rest of the ICE and gear-train that kills gas mileage. Not to mention 6in lift, roof rack, steel bumpers, 33" tires and every other accessory we love
Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by tree392
Energy cannot be created or destroyed you can only change its form in this case you would be burning fuel to create electricity to create hydrogen to burn it again....sounds like perpetual motion and as of yet not possible.
This is true but is irrelevant when referring to HHO generators. They are not designed to replace the gas, just to be used as a catalyst. This causes a much cleaner, more complete burn and results in better fuel economy. The biggest problem is telling your computer that the amount of o2 being emitted is legit. When you install an HHO generator, you usually need to also install an 02 sensor + MAP sensor enhancer that adjusts the signal to accommodate the additional oxygen. otherwise, your engine will run very rich and you will get worse mileage.

I have been playing with these for a while and they DO work. However, you will not pass the visual inspection in California and they are a lot of added maintenance to keep consistent result.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by jcampbell99
This is true but is irrelevant when referring to HHO generators. They are not designed to replace the gas, just to be used as a catalyst. This causes a much cleaner, more complete burn and results in better fuel economy. The biggest problem is telling your computer that the amount of o2 being emitted is legit. When you install an HHO generator, you usually need to also install an 02 sensor + MAP sensor enhancer that adjusts the signal to accommodate the additional oxygen. otherwise, your engine will run very rich and you will get worse mileage.

I have been playing with these for a while and they DO work. However, you will not pass the visual inspection in California and they are a lot of added maintenance to keep consistent result.
Now you are getting into a much more advanced area that most people don't understand. Yes, they do work to a certain degree but not without some supporting devices. Most people think they can hook up a 12V unit, run a hose to the air box and PRESTO, instant fuel mileage and hp. It just doesn't work that way.
We built a unit at home that took up the bed of a full size truck and was able to produce enough hydrogen to make a small block (carbed) Ford run at an idle without any gasoline but not any higher rpm than that yet.

My current path of tinkering is leading toward converting one of my Harleys to CNG.
CNG is going to make a comeback and it will be a big deal soon.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by ETexas XJ
Now you are getting into a much more advanced area that most people don't understand. Yes, they do work to a certain degree but not without some supporting devices. Most people think they can hook up a 12V unit, run a hose to the air box and PRESTO, instant fuel mileage and hp. It just doesn't work that way.
We built a unit at home that took up the bed of a full size truck and was able to produce enough hydrogen to make a small block (carbed) Ford run at an idle without any gasoline but not any higher rpm than that yet.

My current path of tinkering is leading toward converting one of my Harleys to CNG.
CNG is going to make a comeback and it will be a big deal soon.
yeah, I think the biggest problem with HHO is the amount of work it takes to make consistent. I use mine now just for a torch. It works great for that.