Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HIDs Aren't Working Properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default HIDs Aren't Working Properly

So I purchased a set of Lead Foot's (Froehlich Suspension Technology) HIDs last year which I finally got, 6 months later but that's another story to tell.

After I finally got around to putting them in, there's a problem with the driver's side light. I'm not sure if it's constantly on high beam setting or what because when I flip on brights, only my passenger side changes. That might indicate that it's only on low beam and it's just not switching to high, however when I went to aim the lights the driver's side was considerably fuzzy compared the passenger's. I do also recall that one of the wire clips that holds the "bulb" in the sockets was missing so I fashioned one out of wire that I thought worked fine. I'm not sure which side has which clip. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Another problem I have is with the Headlight Delay Module. Kris(Lead Foot) indicated that if you bought the kit, you would have to unplug the delay module otherwise you risk burning the ballasts or something. Does anyone have a picture of it and it's location? I thought I unplugged it but I'm still getting the delay when I take the key out. As a side-note: could the delay module have any impact on the previous problem?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Nobody?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KingsColor
So I purchased a set of Lead Foot's (Froehlich Suspension Technology) HIDs last year which I finally got, 6 months later but that's another story to tell.

After I finally got around to putting them in, there's a problem with the driver's side light. I'm not sure if it's constantly on high beam setting or what because when I flip on brights, only my passenger side changes. That might indicate that it's only on low beam and it's just not switching to high, however when I went to aim the lights the driver's side was considerably fuzzy compared the passenger's. I do also recall that one of the wire clips that holds the "bulb" in the sockets was missing so I fashioned one out of wire that I thought worked fine. I'm not sure which side has which clip. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Another problem I have is with the Headlight Delay Module. Kris(Lead Foot) indicated that if you bought the kit, you would have to unplug the delay module otherwise you risk burning the ballasts or something. Does anyone have a picture of it and it's location? I thought I unplugged it but I'm still getting the delay when I take the key out. As a side-note: could the delay module have any impact on the previous problem?
I waited 6 months Kris Froglicker to ship my sets as well.

On each housing, there are some small gauge wires going to a two conductor connector. These activate the high beam shutters. Make sure they are hooked up correctly and that you are getting power to them by checking with a volt meter.

Not sure what to tell you on the fuzziness. Could be how the bulb is being held in. try talking the good clip and moving it to the fuzzy light and see if that helps. Could also be dirt left on the projector lens, or butyl glue fingerprints on the lens. Might be moisture inside the projector as well.

The headlight delay module is just behind the knee panel under the steering wheel. Take off the plastic outer panel, the steel inner panel, and look on the left side toward the top. You may have to feel around, but there is a module up there with a pigtail attached to it that has about 5 wires if I recall correctly. Leaving this module in means the lights can't turn off correctly. It's also suspected that the module allows residual current to continue going the ballast for extended periods, thus ruining them.

If it turns out one of your housing/projector/shutter is bad, contact Choo_31 by looking through this thread. He has a few sets left, and may be willing to sell you one. His sets also use glass housings and Morimoto projectors like Kris's sets, but Choo uses a slightly different housing. From the front, they look identical. i know because I have sets form both guys. I ordered from Choo when I thought I'd never see mine from Kris, only to have Kris finally ship me mine a week after I bought from Choo. So now I have an extra pair.

EDIT::::::::: Just realized I forgot to include the link for Choo's thread. He's got a sale running on them right now.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/hi...6/#post2901582

Last edited by macgyver35; 07-29-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Surprise, Surprise! Just like a box of Chocolates.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

You actually received your order?