Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP steering brace + power steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP steering brace + power steering

My XJ is running 31" tires and a Torq automatic locker in the Dana 30. Im planning on installing WJ steering pump.

Before I install the pump I thought it would be a good idea to brace the steering box, etc. but there's so many options; I would like some feedback on what setup I should use.
Setup Im thinking like a MORE steering brace https://mountainoffroad.com/collecti...brace-87-01-xj and a beefier steering box bracket (compared the the cheap factory aluminum) and maybe use some plate on the outside of the driver side frame rail where the steering box bolts are held.
Then there's this guy https://ironman4x4fab.com/products/x...ring-box-brace and Im like, do I honestly need this for would an above setup be adequate?
Ive also seen this https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJUNF-PC.html but I don't plan on using an aftermarket bumper.. EVER.
Any insight and helpful hints or ideas would be helpful. Not looking to spend a fortune if I really don't have to.

I don't wheel this XJ aside from loose sand at the beach and don't want to go over board on this bracing. Mostly because some of this stuff is the same price as a regear kit... wtf?
Just need something that won't rip the unibody or rip the steering box off.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

In my opinion stock everything is fine with 31s and no offroading.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:17 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I wanted a steering brace and a hidden or removable winch. Not happy with what was on the market, I made my own. I think it's in line with what you want.

The most expensive part of this was the hitch itself. Everything else was the finest cheap stuff eBay has on offer - a knockoff of the Ironman4x4fab steering brace, a steel steering box spacer plate that included a 4th hole for tying in to the rearmost tow hook mounting point, and a heavy duty bumper bracket that ties into the stock bumper mounting points, the steering box mounting points, and the same tow hook tie in point as the steering box plate.

One thing I was pretty adamant on using was a design that braces both the housing of the steering box, as well as the output shaft. You protect both the frame and the steering box bearings from being overloaded. The result is just about as much reinforcement you can get to the steering box area, without using a welder on the unibody. x

I'm not terribly proud of using a complete knock off, but I really can't justify buying a $400 brace just to cut it up and use it as a base for my own fabrication. I have some issues with the design of the brace with respect to fastener placement, and however strong the real deal is, I could see flexing in the brace when it was installed on it's own. It would bend up and down when going lock to lock at a stop. That flex should be basically eliminated with being welded to the hitch in multiple places.

Here's the build thread.

Front Hitch and Steering Brace Combo - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Last edited by OptionXIII; 02-07-2024 at 09:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OptionXIII:
Corky (02-10-2024), Offroadnutz (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

There is plenty of knock-off versions of the ironman brace for around 80$. I got one and the quality is definitely not close to the iron man one but with a hammer and some patience it fit up easy and was one of the best upgrade ive done. Before I fully installed the brace, I just had the big bracket that ties the 2 frame rails together installed and even that was a huge improvement. If you are going to install a brace definitely replace the stock aluminum spacer. I'm on 3.5 inch lift and 31''s
And if you decide to do the WJ pump swap and buy a new pump, dont buy the Lares pump.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by OptionXIII
I wanted a steering brace and a hidden or removable winch. Not happy with what was on the market, I made my own. I think it's in line with what you want.

The most expensive part of this was the hitch itself. Everything else was the finest cheap stuff eBay has on offer - a knockoff of the Ironman4x4fab steering brace, a steel steering box spacer plate that included a 4th hole for tying in to the rearmost tow hook mounting point, and a heavy duty bumper bracket that ties into the stock bumper mounting points, the steering box mounting points, and the same tow hook tie in point as the steering box plate.

One thing I was pretty adamant on using was a design that braces both the housing of the steering box, as well as the output shaft. You protect both the frame and the steering box bearings from being overloaded. The result is just about as much reinforcement you can get to the steering box area, without using a welder on the unibody. x

I'm not terribly proud of using a complete knock off, but I really can't justify buying a $400 brace just to cut it up and use it as a base for my own fabrication. I have some issues with the design of the brace with respect to fastener placement, and however strong the real deal is, I could see flexing in the brace when it was installed on it's own. It would bend up and down when going lock to lock at a stop. That flex should be basically eliminated with being welded to the hitch in multiple places.

Here's the build thread.

Front Hitch and Steering Brace Combo - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Nice custom brace!
Old 02-08-2024, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by XJChang
There is plenty of knock-off versions of the ironman brace for around 80$. I got one and the quality is definitely not close to the iron man one but with a hammer and some patience it fit up easy and was one of the best upgrade ive done. Before I fully installed the brace, I just had the big bracket that ties the 2 frame rails together installed and even that was a huge improvement. If you are going to install a brace definitely replace the stock aluminum spacer. I'm on 3.5 inch lift and 31''s
And if you decide to do the WJ pump swap and buy a new pump, dont buy the Lares pump.
How has the knock off one held up for you? Ive seen photos of knock off Ironmans bent... I wish boostwerks still made their brace; that thing looks tough.

Thanks for the heads up on the pump. I have a factory WJ pump, hopefully it works, I'll find out soon. With the extra WJ pump pressure I think I'll piece together a MORE box brace, steel box spacer, and some plate on the outer frame rail. Its all cheap insurance for daily without extreme offroading.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:27 PM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 2000XJmoredoor
How has the knock off one held up for you? Ive seen photos of knock off Ironmans bent... I wish boostwerks still made their brace; that thing looks tough.

Thanks for the heads up on the pump. I have a factory WJ pump, hopefully it works, I'll find out soon. With the extra WJ pump pressure I think I'll piece together a MORE box brace, steel box spacer, and some plate on the outer frame rail. Its all cheap insurance for daily without extreme offroading.
Holds up good but im only on 31s and have been mostly snow wheeling lately so not much stress there. Alpine peak precision makes a winch mount/steering box brace similar to the boostwork one, except i dont know if the stock bumper can be put back on but I dont see why not.
You will most likely be fine unless you go to 35+s and wheel hard, but sometimes the MORE style brace will rip the steering box off the frame since the two frame rails love to move independently of one another
Old 02-08-2024, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by XJChang
Holds up good but im only on 31s and have been mostly snow wheeling lately so not much stress there. Alpine peak precision makes a winch mount/steering box brace similar to the boostwork one, except i dont know if the stock bumper can be put back on but I dont see why not.
You will most likely be fine unless you go to 35+s and wheel hard, but sometimes the MORE style brace will rip the steering box off the frame since the two frame rails love to move independently of one another
I’m curious on how you say the MORE style brace would rip off the steering box. How do the frame rails move independently of each other?