Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Ton Steering

Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default One Ton Steering

Hey guys! So recently I swapped out my old steering box for a the Durango upgrade but both steering boxes looked identical, think what was sent to me was the same steering box just rebuilt. It's already installed so I'll just go with it. But anyway, the steering was pretty bad even after the new steering box went in, steering wheel has a few inches of play without the wheels moving at all. Tightened some stuff and it seemed to make it better but I'm wondering if installing a one ton steering kit would help with the bump steer and whatnot. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 173 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

How much is it lifted? What is your current steering and trackbar setup?

You sure they were identical? The Durango box looks very similar, just a little larger. There's also several different variations of the boxes and a lot of misinformation out there about which one you want.

Do you have an aftermarket steering box spacer? Many of us will highly recommend one to prevent your unibody rail from cracking behind the steering box.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Play in your TB will also give a loose steering effect.

Have someone rock the wheel while you inspect and see what is moving around.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about a 6 inch lift. I actually just put in a Rubicon Express track bar and drop bracket last week. Yep, pretty sure. I'm a sgreenhorn when it comes to working on cars and all that but that circle on the steering box looked exactly the same. In pictures I've seen that same circle part or whatever looked bigger on a Durango steering box which is what made me think it was the same steering box. I do! You're referring to that plate right? Don't think the track bar had any play, didn't tighten the jam nut too much though. Sorry for my lack of knowing what things are called lol but the tie rod end for the drag link or whatever it's called (where the drop pitman arm it hooked onto) would move around if that means anything. Not sure if it's meant to move a certain way, I really don't know much D: