Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help me decide on tires

Gonna upgrade the tires the PO had on the Jeep. Which were BFG AT's on Wrangler Ravine wheels (which I will be selling). I need something more aggressive for hunting and what not but at the same time get decent tread life out of. Plus I'll be putting them on Moab wheels.

My choices so far that I like are as follows in 265/75r16

Goodyear Duratrac's. Only thing is my Dad had Duratrac's and he only got maybe 20k out of them. Partly due to when getting oil changes they inflated them to 60psi or more. Center tread is almost gone.

GY MT/R's I liked the older design better and had them on my old truck. Just not sure how long they'll last.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Once again tread life is my main concern here.

Cooper Discover STT's. Pretty much leaning towards this tire but don't know much about them.

Plus we get decent snow here so I want something aggressive that will do great in mud and snow and decent traction on wet roads.

Anyone have any experience with any of these tires and how long they last etc or any other brands I can check out. I'm wanting more of a mud terrain and hoping to get around 30-40k out of them.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by JMac202
Gonna upgrade the tires the PO had on the Jeep. Which were BFG AT's on Wrangler Ravine wheels (which I will be selling). I need something more aggressive for hunting and what not but at the same time get decent tread life out of. Plus I'll be putting them on Moab wheels.

My choices so far that I like are as follows in 265/75r16

Goodyear Duratrac's. Only thing is my Dad had Duratrac's and he only got maybe 20k out of them. Partly due to when getting oil changes they inflated them to 60psi or more. Center tread is almost gone.

GY MT/R's I liked the older design better and had them on my old truck. Just not sure how long they'll last.

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. Once again tread life is my main concern here.

Cooper Discover STT's. Pretty much leaning towards this tire but don't know much about them.

Plus we get decent snow here so I want something aggressive that will do great in mud and snow and decent traction on wet roads.

Anyone have any experience with any of these tires and how long they last etc or any other brands I can check out. I'm wanting more of a mud terrain and hoping to get around 30-40k out of them.

I run duratracs on my 01, they hum a little at highway speed but they are very aggressive for an a/t tire. I run 265/75-16's and they only come in an E load range, which is a little too hd for me. I run them at 30psi and have no adverse wear patterns, ive got about 5k on them and they look like the day i brought them.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

If you need snow capabilities then I can vouch for the dura tracs. The reason a tire grips in mud is cause the big lugs that grab the **** in front of you throw it behind you. The reason a tire grips in snow is almost completely opposite; a snow tire relies on siping to provide it's grip. Siping is the little cuts in the lugs, they pack with snow and when they make contact with the snow on ground, create a high amount of friction. Kinda like if you pack a snowball tight and then try to shear it in half. It sticks to itself well. So the tire with the most siping will get you thru the winter, the tire with the biggest lugs will get you to beer camp and as far as the milage youll get out of them... Ill have to check my actual milage but I do a lot of driving on the pavement, probably like 18k on em I guess... Like I said I need to check.. But they over half tread depth.. All this guessing makes me wanna check my milage and current tread depth..
Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I have 235 duratracs. I run 34 in the summer and 35 in the winter. I have about 15k on mine. I rotate them every 5-6k and they stil look like new. Its my dd and I have yet to go offroad. I love these tires I will be getting them again.

Now the coopers are a sweet tire. I love the tread desighn as much as my dt's. They are just more money. So I chose what I have now. Whatever u get... a 31" tire should have about 37-40lbs in them, give or take. Don't fear. Get what u want. They are both an awesome tire. If this wasn't my dd, I would be runnin on 31's. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OEJ
I have 235 duratracs. I run 34 in the summer and 35 in the winter. I have about 15k on mine. I rotate them every 5-6k and they stil look like new. Its my dd and I have yet to go offroad. I love these tires I will be getting them again.

Now the coopers are a sweet tire. I love the tread desighn as much as my dt's. They are just more money. So I chose what I have now. Whatever u get... a 31" tire should have about 37-40lbs in them, give or take. Don't fear. Get what u want. They are both an awesome tire. If this wasn't my dd, I would be runnin on 31's. Good luck.
I found a place online that sells the STT's for 185 a tire. The Duratrac's are running 220 a piece here but said he'd price match Tirerack.com's price of 176. I'm hoping I can find someone to price match the Coopers.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:31 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Def go for the coopers if u can get a good deal on them. I do love that tread. I was back and forth for a couple months. Then I realized I couldnt affor 31's at all. That's when I got these. I even have a 4.5" lift, but I'm only usin 3" of it. I do love my dt's though. I paid 150. Each for them.

I dread when I have to buy tires again because I will def be getting 31's. Haha.
Go for it man. Get the coops and post some pics.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Get what u can afford overall.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OEJ
Get what u can afford overall.
Well price isn't a problem for as of right now. Getting a nice 6k check in the mail next week. That being said I still want the best bang for my buck.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Well then I would buy the one that has the best tread ware rating. And if I'm not mistaken; that's the duratracs. But check to make sure... I could be wrong.haha.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Could look at the S/T's as well as the STT's got around 30k on mine now and still have good tread all around. Its a harder rubber compound than you have in the STT's.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Engine: 4 ohh

I like the look of the GY MTR. The dura tracks are popular
Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a set of STT's on my zj in the 265/75 r16 size, the were great tires, did just fine in the sprinklings of snow we got (no idea about real snow, only drove in stuff that was about 3 in on the roads) they also did good in rain and the little bit of mud i saw. My only complaint is i got them used and the po didn't rotate them so they wore unevenly, but if you make sure to rotate them they're great! Not of any importance but a construction company thats down the road from where i used to live got 3 new big trucks this summer, a week or so before i moved away, and put STT's on all of them, funny the random things you can remember
Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Engine: 4 ohh

A company i work with runs 325 mickey t's on all their work trucks. They are a dirt moving company so they go though mud all the time
Old 09-23-2011, 09:04 AM

I know they are not one your list but you should check out the general Grabber AT2 tire.
I had them on my wrangler and they had 60 k on them when I traded it in and they looked to only have wore about 60%.
they are very affordable and I will be putting them on my XJ when my old ones are shot.
only down fall is I was told to rotate every oil change or they cup. I did it and never had a problem with cupping. I had to re-balance them once.