Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recovery points

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Recovery points

Have an 01 Cherokee an I would like to put front and rear recovery points on it. I dot have a rear receiver hitch and I don't really want one... An I'm not big on huge front and rear bumpers. I know there are many places that sell them but I would like to see some home made or something cheap that is clean and up outta the way I have all the fab tool necessary I'm just looking or some ideas or cheap alternatives that y'all have found pics and info would be great!
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by ThE_CaPtaIn
Have an 01 Cherokee an I would like to put front and rear recovery points on it. I dot have a rear receiver hitch and I don't really want one... An I'm not big on huge front and rear bumpers. I know there are many places that sell them but I would like to see some home made or something cheap that is clean and up outta the way I have all the fab tool necessary I'm just looking or some ideas or cheap alternatives that y'all have found pics and info would be great!
check out Detour Off Road's tailbone and backbone system. it allows you to keep the look of your stock bumpers.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994(mostly)
Engine: 4.0L I6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01...item230f134fc1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-01...item3a6392cc1a
Old 09-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

just a few ideas
Old 09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The mounts for you recovery points are more important that the actuall recovery unit, ie bummper or hook. Recommend fabbing mounts that uses atleast 3 bolts alongs the length of the frame rails front and rear. the second link in coyotes post is a bumper with ZERO recovery potential, can't see the mounts for the first link. I would recoment a mounting system that uses the same design as used on a reciever hitch, front and rear. Point being to maximize load distribution. Remember whatever you do you will be ultimatly mounting to VERY thin sheet metal of the unibody, the more you spread the load the better.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

the second one is what my rear bumper looks like, ive gotten stuck so bad that it took 3 trucks to get me out, my bumper was fine, if it didnt rip off from that , its gonna take a deuce to rip it off
Old 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coyote1
the second one is what my rear bumper looks like, ive gotten stuck so bad that it took 3 trucks to get me out, my bumper was fine, if it didnt rip off from that , its gonna take a deuce to rip it off
So, you have a bumper that uses the STOCK bumper mounts. And have had NO recovery issues.... If, so I might reconsider....
As I said it's not the strap attachment I worry about as much as how the strap attachment point is mounted. Seen lots of hooks and bumpers using the stock mounts get ripped out on light pulls, forget about when somebody was really stuck.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Member

who knows , maybe i got lucky, i will i say i used the strongest bolts and nuts i could find, plus im doubled up on nuts
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by coyote1
who knows , maybe i got lucky, i will i say i used the strongest bolts and nuts i could find, plus im doubled up on nuts

I get what you are saying. Heck I've done multi truck recoveries, pulling on axle housings with no damage. When it comes to getting stuck or un-stuck, I don't want to have to hope I'm lucky. Only luck I want is that which prevents me from getting stuck, in the first place.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

i was stuck bad, but i feel if anything was gonna go bad , it would have happened by now. but if youre building your own, make it as strong as you can
Old 09-22-2011, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jcr has good bumpers for not bad of prices. If want to keep the stock look then go with detours
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM

None of that is what I'm really looking for I don't wanna replace my bumpers and the tail/backbone is as much as an aftermaket bumper. If I recall dosent some1 make a bracket the bolts to the outside of the front frame rails on each side that just holds a d ring. I haven't seen anything but a reciver hitch or aftermarket bumper for the rear. And I'm not interested in either. This isn't a hard core wheeler and is never gonna be mid bogged I just want some simple clean recovery points for piece of mind.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

None of that is what I'm really looking for I don't wanna replace my bumpers and the tail/backbone is as much as an aftermaket bumper. If I recall dosent some1 make a bracket the bolts to the outside of the front frame rails on each side that just holds a d ring. I haven't seen anything but a reciver hitch or aftermarket bumper for the rear. And I'm not interested in either. This isn't a hard core wheeler and is never gonna be mid bogged I just want some simple clean recovery points for piece of mind.
Don't NEED the Backbone or reciever hitch. You said you have fab skills and equiptment. LOOK at some hitches and LOOK at the backbone, fab up something that mounts to the rig in simular fashion. What you need is to buy or make some strong mounting points for you to bolt or weld some hooks or D-ring tabs too.
Front tow hook brackets are available from most aftermarket Jeep parts suppliers.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope...NO CAN DO!! You inbox is full Cap'n!!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Yeah I was just hopin to get some idea or a direction from what others have done. But I'll fab something up and post some pics for y'all so you can see what I came up with! And frankz I'll go delete some right now Thanks for lettin me know

Quick Reply: Recovery points