Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Towing my xj behind my RV went bust

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Towing my xj behind my RV went bust

I didnt even leave the culdesac. Even going a straight line the xj's tires turned right, then I decided to keep the TC in neutral and put the trans in Park and made a left turn. Then the wheels went left. I see people tow their Jeeps all the time. Granted the ones I saw this weekend were all JK's, I dont want to have to put my xj on the trailer in order to have a vehicle to get around in.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Correct on your tcase in neutral and the trans on park. Which end are you towing from?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by gunmetal_nightrider
Correct on your tcase in neutral and the trans on park. Which end are you towing from?
My guess is from the front with all the tires on the road like most full size RV's tow vehicles, stupid question but did you leave your ignition in the off position?

Last edited by peligro113; 09-07-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Transfer case in true neutral, shifter in park, steering column unlocked, parking brake off.

I have towed my 2 XJs all over the country, in all types of terrain and weather, all wheels down, without a moment's problem.

But I have a very solid tow bar/winch bumper combo on either one. And you don't back up.

It might be that the legs of the "A" on the OP's tow bar are not spread out enough for stability to let the Jeep self-center after a turn.

And/or he is wrapping the vehicle up by making tight turns and switching left-to-right turns too rapidly.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Something's not right in your setup.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Transfer case in true neutral, shifter in park, steering column unlocked, parking brake off.

I have towed my 2 XJs all over the country, in all types of terrain and weather, all wheels down, without a moment's problem.

But I have a very solid tow bar/winch bumper combo on either one. And you don't back up.

It might be that the legs of the "A" on the OP's tow bar are not spread out enough for stability to let the Jeep self-center after a turn.

And/or he is wrapping the vehicle up by making tight turns and switching left-to-right turns too rapidly.
The text in bold is the most important, and where I think the OP went wrong. Make sure it's unlocked by putting your key in the "accessory" position. If you can't turn the steering wheel by hand, you'll not track properly. XJs make great vehicles to tow behind a motorhome. If you did this, then there is something wrong with your setup. Pictures would probably help us help you.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a stowmaster 5000 tow bar with no issues. Tcase in netural,trans in park and key one click forward.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

Originally Posted by RussH
I run a stowmaster 5000 tow bar with no issues. Tcase in netural,trans in park and key one click forward.
100% proper (and only way) to tow it in my opinion.

1 click forward just so the dash lights don't come on or you will kill your battery but the steering column unlocked.

one problem i had flat towing my xj for the first time was the angle of the tow bar. but i was new to flat towing a jeep and not sure if i did it correctly (as listed above), so i aborted that and just used a trailer.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 PM

You are all right. I read the directions and made sure that the tow bar was within 5 degrees to level and that the spread was within 41 and 24" in which I got it pretty close to the 41".
After typing the post and thinking about it all weekend, it came down to one thing in my mind that was the problem.... front end alignment. I was in an accident a while back where the front axle was hit from the side pushing it about 4" to the left. My passenger UC bracket, both LC brackets on the axle and trackbar bracket were shot. The steering linkage was toast and so was the trackbar. I bought beefier LC brackets, 1 aftermarket beefy UC bracket, new trackbar and bracket and had them installed. After installation, the UC was set a little off but couldnt correct it so much b/c my LC arms aren't adjustable.
So here is my next question... Can I correct the front alignment with these problems by taking it to a shop? Or do I go with a long arm kit and aligning it after parts are installed? I will probably use the Jeep before I have the money to install a new kit unless a money tree starts growing in my front yard.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Lots of issues there but if the front end is bad you won't be able to tow it for sure. If it were me I would buy adj. U/LCA's for it then when not needed sell the lowers always someone wanting them.

Then correct any other problems that stop you from getting an alignment for it or put it on a trailer. I tow mine both ways depending a lot on what tires I'm running at the time. I have an older set of 35's that I re-grooved on beadlocks I use on a few trails for off road Only.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:03 PM

Default update on my issues

I had my lca bracket that was welded on cut off as it was put 1.5" too far forward. I bought two new ones at Artec and had Campbell Enterprises (Shannon Campbell's brother) weld them in the right place and was told to take it to Network Automotive in Gilbert, AZ. So I did and right away they pointed out that I needed this and that wanting to charge me over a $1000 in labor and parts. I did replace the drivers side wheel bearing and had a front alignment done at a different shop, Autovahn. It turned out great and have since driven it all around the valley.
Now that everything is the way it was before I got into that accident, I will hook it up to my truck and see if it flat tows correctly. Then in two weeks its off to the mountains towing it behind my rv.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the follow up! Anything wrong in the front end can be amplified when it's being towed flat.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 AM

That was definitely my problem.