Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Going to HIDs

So after researching quite a bit, I feel like I'd be happy with upgrading to HIDs. I was thinking of getting 80/100 bulbs, Autopal housing, and a Putco harness, but I'm see a lot of mixed reviews with either the housing leaking, bulbs burning out, or whatever. A buddy of mine has HIDs and has great road visibility, and that's what it comes down to for me. I searched CF but only came up with a thread about a guy getting a ticket with them. I feel like I might buy the wrong thing if I search eBay.

Is there a trusted site I can go and use, or perhaps a CF vendor who I can buy from?

Here are two links I've found so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X6-PROJECTOR-BLK-HEADLIGHTS-H4-6000K-XENON-HID-KIT-/190800945217?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item2c6c9f6041&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6000K-PURE-WHITE-BI-XENON-SLIM-HID-7X6-H6014-H6052-H6054-CRYSTAL-HEADLIGHTS-/171002931121?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item27d091a7b1&vxp=mtr

Cheers
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I have a friend down in Texas that recommended this place to me: http://www.ddmtuning.com/
He has used them get lighting for his fathers Cherokee and other sports cars.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by alnielsen
I have a friend down in Texas that recommended this place to me: http://www.ddmtuning.com/
He has used them get lighting for his fathers Cherokee and other sports cars.
I have the autopal housings and ddm hid's. I honestly would reccomend a better housing. The hid's and putco harness are great though.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
So after researching quite a bit, I feel like I'd be happy with upgrading to HIDs. I was thinking of getting 80/100 bulbs, Autopal housing, and a Putco harness, but I'm see a lot of mixed reviews with either the housing leaking, bulbs burning out, or whatever. A buddy of mine has HIDs and has great road visibility, and that's what it comes down to for me. I searched CF but only came up with a thread about a guy getting a ticket with them. I feel like I might buy the wrong thing if I search eBay.

Cheers
1. You aren't going to find an 80-100w HID bulb anywhere for an automotive headlight application. Most are 35w, some are 55w. The high beams on all "factory" HID setups (think new BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc) is enabled by retracting a shield in the headlight housing with a solenoid. These bulbs are only a single power output.

2. Autopal housings are great, but not for what you want to do with them. Those are designed for halogen bulbs, and will not spread/focus the HID light properly.

Two common methods for converting to HID that aren't necessarily "legal" but are safe for other drivers (those cheap kits you see on eBay can blind other drivers very easily) are doing a retrofit, using any housing of your choice (cheap ebay ones work good here) and buying a proper projector for your HID's, a great place to get these from is theretrofitsource.com.

The other method is to buy a projector/housing combo like the Norcalm2 Pegasus projector. With the cheaper version of these, you won't get high beams, but the light will be properly focused and dispersed, and your bank won't be fatally wounded.

Of course, you can buy a variety of high-end HID housings in the $500 range, but for most people who drive XJ's, this kind of coin could be better prioritized.

Finally, I would recommend the Putco harness with any headlight upgrade you choose. It was well worth it, in my experience.

Evan
Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 AM

So I have the HID's in my '87; 6000k color (cheap ones made by Xentec; got 'em off ebay for like $55 bux...US seller, very good to do business with, have gotten 3 sets for other vehicles too and only had one issue which they were very quick and efficient to remedy) I used Hella conversion housings...Im happy with the result...far superior light output to the crap sealed beams, but light output a bit unevenly distributed; I have them adjusted correctly, have never once gotten flashed and have driven another vehicle with someone driving my jeep behind me, they are not too bright at all. Would def do it again...BUT...

I forked out the cash (like $450 or something) for a set of those Truck-Light 5x7 LED's in my '96 xj...THAT is the way to go; lots of money but WOW what a quality product and could not ask for any better result (bright, crisp, even light output); also DOT approved right out of the box...I want to say it was American Driveline or somthing to that effect had the best price. Spend the extra couple hundred for the quality; well worth every penny
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EvstaG
1. You aren't going to find an 80-100w HID bulb anywhere for an automotive headlight application. Most are 35w, some are 55w. The high beams on all "factory" HID setups (think new BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc) is enabled by retracting a shield in the headlight housing with a solenoid. These bulbs are only a single power output.

2. Autopal housings are great, but not for what you want to do with them. Those are designed for halogen bulbs, and will not spread/focus the HID light properly.

Two common methods for converting to HID that aren't necessarily "legal" but are safe for other drivers (those cheap kits you see on eBay can blind other drivers very easily) are doing a retrofit, using any housing of your choice (cheap ebay ones work good here) and buying a proper projector for your HID's, a great place to get these from is theretrofitsource.com.

The other method is to buy a projector/housing combo like the Norcalm2 Pegasus projector. With the cheaper version of these, you won't get high beams, but the light will be properly focused and dispersed, and your bank won't be fatally wounded.

Of course, you can buy a variety of high-end HID housings in the $500 range, but for most people who drive XJ's, this kind of coin could be better prioritized.

Finally, I would recommend the Putco harness with any headlight upgrade you choose. It was well worth it, in my experience.

Evan

Thank you very much for this informative post!

Originally Posted by Crf136n
So I have the HID's in my '87; 6000k color (cheap ones made by Xentec; got 'em off ebay for like $55 bux...US seller, very good to do business with, have gotten 3 sets for other vehicles too and only had one issue which they were very quick and efficient to remedy) I used Hella conversion housings...Im happy with the result...far superior light output to the crap sealed beams, but light output a bit unevenly distributed; I have them adjusted correctly, have never once gotten flashed and have driven another vehicle with someone driving my jeep behind me, they are not too bright at all. Would def do it again...BUT...
Do you have any links to what you purchased? It sounds like you had a nice setup.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

Originally Posted by EvstaG

Evan
We sell 125w HID setups. So yes you will find them
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Lyferxb9s
We sell 125w HID setups. So yes you will find them
For HID's in a 6054 headlight? How much do you charge for something like this? (I am thinking extra heavy duty wiring harness, metal/glass housing will be needed, etc.) I am just imagining that would be like a second sun emanating from the front of the XJ.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

The only non metal housing we had any luck in with those bulbs are the Composite ones from Light Force. You will need a custom wiring harness. A metal housing with glass lenses, or the lightforce ones. We had a guy put two sets of 9'' IIRC lightforce ones with 100w HID kits in his ranch truck in Wyoming and he loves em.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
Thank you very much for this informative post!

Do you have any links to what you purchased? It sounds like you had a nice setup.
Sure; just go on EBAY and type in Xentec bi-xenon h4; I think he is the only one that sells them...his seller name is orangemika. Be sure you get bi-xenon otherwise you wont have high beams! I just got the Hella housings at my local summit racing store but if you type in 'hella 5 x 7 conversion' into ebay or amazon.com or something you should find them. Same thing with the truck-lite 5x7 led.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

You do not need a bixenon kit to have high beams. There are 2stage h4 kits. I recommend anything that is a True AC kit. Xentecs are not. Search for something slightly more expensive but more reliable if you want to purchase from ebay. If you want to do with Projectors, the most affordable ones that are worth running are the Morimotor 2.0 or 2.5. I prefer the 2.5s at right around 60 shipped a pair.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Order placed!

Was wondering what bulbs to get.

Originally Posted by Lyferxb9s
H4 dual stage.

Thanks!

Last edited by 92XJGuy; 03-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

H4 dual stage.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Thought I'd give a quick update. I ordered from Lyferxb9s from his shop LegitHIDs. Looks like a really sweet kit too. Excited for them to arrive!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Excited for you to put them through the ringer. I want you to beat the **** out of these things, submerge them in water, do 60 over large boulders and anything else you can think of. PS I'll still warranty them for 5years

Quick Reply: Going to HIDs