Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 8.8 questions concerning axle width.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ford 8.8 questions concerning axle width.

Hey Everybody, new member here. I have been searching the interwebz and this forum looking for answers about an Explorer rear end swap in my 98 XJ. I know doing the swap is fairly simple especially considering I have access to a welder and found an 8.8 from a 96 Explorer that already has 4:10 gears in it so I think it will be cheaper to do the swap than re-gear my 8.25. Seeing as how I also own a 5.0 I have dealt with the 8.8 before but my question is this.
Has anyone tried using axle shafts from a 96-98 (SN95) mustang in their Explorer housing? The track width on a SN95 is 60.8 inches which is REALLY close to the stock XJ track width.

I just swapped a rear axle from a 96 into my Foxbody but i need to get "fox length" axle shafts and the correct brake caliper mounting brackets which means I will have a set of axle shafts and caliper brackets that should allow me to run the explorer rear end in my XJ without having to use wheel spacers.

Now one thing I do know is the Mustang axle shafts are only 28 spline as opposed to he 31 spline explorer shafts but if these would work I could run them for a while until i find a rear carrier unit out of an 03-04 Cobra which is a 31 spline and a much better unit that the Explorer one and then just buy an aftermarket set of 31 spline shaft.

Hopefully I can find some answers on this and if not I will be the guinie pig on it.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Or buy this kit http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-117...nator-kit.html you gain a inch preside in width,You get to lose the c clips and have better axles.And with it having dual bolt patterns gives you more options on a front axle.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Or buy this kit http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-117...nator-kit.html you gain a inch preside in width,You get to lose the c clips and have better axles.And with it having dual bolt patterns gives you more options on a front axle.
Well dammit. That's too easy, thought I was on to something brilliant. Appreciate the link sir.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And when your welding on the spring perches fully weld in the axle tubes to the center.From the factory the tubes only have 2 plug welds holding them in and with hard use like off road you can pop the plug welds.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 PM

And when your welding on the spring perches fully weld in the axle tubes to the center.From the factory the tubes only have 2 plug welds holding them in and with hard use like off road you can pop the plug welds.
Good suggestion.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 PM

Also in not 100% sure about this but I think the diff is centered on the mustang but the explorer is off centered a bit. So the shafts would stick out further on one side then the other.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Holy moneybags!

Between the price of that kit and an 8.8 and the time/resources going into it you would be better off finding a 9 inch with 31 spline shafts and running disc brakes on it. You for less than the cost of that conversion kit in the link you can buy two 35 spline chromoly shafts for a 9 inch which are good for up to 40s and a heavy right foot

as for your original question, arent the mustangs 28 spline and your explorer 8.8 a 31 spline?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by redjeep1983
Also in not 100% sure about this but I think the diff is centered on the mustang but the explorer is off centered a bit. So the shafts would stick out further on one side then the other.
As far as I know the housings were them same up until 2000. You may be right though, I'll look into that.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
Holy moneybags!

Between the price of that kit and an 8.8 and the time/resources going into it you would be better off finding a 9 inch with 31 spline shafts and running disc brakes on it. You for less than the cost of that conversion kit in the link you can buy two 35 spline chromoly shafts for a 9 inch which are good for up to 40s and a heavy right foot

as for your original question, arent the mustangs 28 spline and your explorer 8.8 a 31 spline?

Yeah that kit is pricey but simple.

You are correct about the 28/31 spline axles but my mustang is getting 31 spline axles and a Cobra posi unit, which means I'll also have the posi unit and axles that came out of the 96 laying in my garage that could be swapped into the explorer rear end and later down the road I could find a deal on another Cobra Posi (can find the for around $150) and buy a set if 31 spline axles for around 200 bucks.

The main reason for the swap is because i think it might be cheaper to do the swap than to re-gear my 8.25. While 31 spline axles are a bit stronger I would assume an 8.8 with 28 spline axles would be just as strong or stronger that the 8.25
Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by redjeep1983
Yup, you were right. Offset pinion. Ok, scratch that idea.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I encourage your innovation, however, many people have not had problems with the 8.8 being a tad narrower.

However, I'm partial to my D44 w/ 8.8 dic's as it is factory width.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
I encourage your innovation, however, many people have not had problems with the 8.8 being a tad narrower.

However, I'm partial to my D44 w/ 8.8 dic's as it is factory width.
Yeah the width may end up being a non issue once it's on there. In my head I'm picturing the look of the old Chevy K5 Blazers where it was very obvious.

This this part of my cherokee project just got put on hold anyhow, overheated it the other day and now there is almost no compression in 3 cylinders. Hopefully I'll be able to get in there this weekend to find out what the deal is. Probably just time for a reman engine