Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside

So after thinking about it a lot, I just can't justify putting in the time into prepping my jeep and painting it just for it too look like crap/get scratched up again. So I'm going to bedliner it. Blah blah don't do that everyones doing that..yeah I don't care. Its my jeep, my money, my time. Not to sound like a dick but go tell a wall, not me..the wall will probably care more..hahah now with that out of the way. I'm thinking about going with a gray, so that if it fades some it won't look like crap. But for that happens I have rust that I need to fix...that my po tried to fix with some JB weld? Lol.

Lucky my rust isn't that much and should be easy to fix.. here's some pictures and I'll keep everyone updated as I go
Old 08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Pictures..there should be 5 buck we'll see...

(If you turn your phone sideways,, the uplaod status goes away)
Attached Thumbnails Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside-forumrunner_20110810_175039.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Double post..and none of my pictures are up but one...will a mod please clean this up for me?

Last edited by Zack92MJ; 08-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Lets try the pictures again...
Attached Thumbnails Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside-forumrunner_20110810_184014.jpg   Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside-forumrunner_20110810_184029.jpg   Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside-forumrunner_20110810_184056.jpg   Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside-forumrunner_20110810_184121.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Model: Cherokee

hey what brand bedliner are you going with? I have been looking and there are so many kinds its crazy. I have no idea which is better or not and I am going to do mine as well. Yes, same with you, I know its being done all over the place but really I don't care about following a 'fad' I just want the protection and forgiveness of the textured paint. Plus, many of them come in tons of colors, so I can actually camo it if those are good brands. Your ideas?
Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

I just bedlinered my bumper caps using Dupli-Color Black in an aerosol can, took 2 1/2 cans as I did 3 coats per cap, and personally, I think it turned out looking like crap. Not saying that I wasn't responsible, but I know I sprayed evenly, and kept as close to the same distance per pass as possible on a surface that isn't straight. The liner turned out "splotchy", with some spots being flat black, some gloss black, others gray, some areas perfectly smooth, and some being textured.

Personally, I have nothing against bedlining any area of your XJ, especially if its a trail rig. The paint can only take so much abuse, and rust is your enemy.

Would love to hear from anyone that used a roll-on bedliner instead of a spray. I'm highly considering using a roll-on if/when I decide to do everything below the upper body line that runs where the factory door-trim sits.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TSea99XJ
I just bedlinered my bumper caps using Dupli-Color Black in an aerosol can, took 2 1/2 cans as I did 3 coats per cap, and personally, I think it turned out looking like crap. Not saying that I wasn't responsible, but I know I sprayed evenly, and kept as close to the same distance per pass as possible on a surface that isn't straight. The liner turned out "splotchy", with some spots being flat black, some gloss black, others gray, some areas perfectly smooth, and some being textured.

Personally, I have nothing against bedlining any area of your XJ, especially if its a trail rig. The paint can only take so much abuse, and rust is your enemy.

Would love to hear from anyone that used a roll-on bedliner instead of a spray. I'm highly considering using a roll-on if/when I decide to do everything below the upper body line that runs where the factory door-trim sits.
Yeah I used the same can stuff you used. Its CRAP. I'm looking to get an actual legit stuff and spray it on. I just can't bring my self to spend 100+ on a paint and 14+ hours of prep work all for some jackass to come key my car the next day.. but my paint job is trashed. There's no rust yet, but come winter..that'll be a different story.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jeeplassie
hey what brand bedliner are you going with? I have been looking and there are so many kinds its crazy. I have no idea which is better or not and I am going to do mine as well. Yes, same with you, I know its being done all over the place but really I don't care about following a 'fad' I just want the protection and forgiveness of the textured paint. Plus, many of them come in tons of colors, so I can actually camo it if those are good brands. Your ideas?
I have a bunch of links bookmarked at home, I'll post em for you and you can read through them too..and we'll work throught it together and figure it out haha

Edit: nevermind I'll have to find em tomorrow, my dad thought because I went for a run, I was done looking at jeep stufff. Silly man :headshake:

Last edited by Zack92MJ; 08-11-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
npk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L

i am not a big fan of using bed liner on the entire vehicle but i like it on the rockers. is this stuff easy to keep clean? seems to me the rough surface would help hold the mud on. also.... the stuff is expensive! compared to cheap paint anyway. you mentioned that you didn't want to do the prep for a paint job. will the bed liner stick without any prep?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

I bedlined mine and I love it. Coolest thing I did to it. I say do it.

Look at this link and post #8 its my Xj.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bed...d-paint-39085/

Also in this months JP mag. there is a article that has some do it yourself spray on bedliners.
alsliner.com
envy4X4.com
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
npk

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L

Originally Posted by The Black
I bedlined mine and I love it. Coolest thing I did to it. I say do it.

Look at this link and post #8 its my Xj.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bed...d-paint-39085/

Also in this months JP mag. there is a article that has some do it yourself spray on bedliners.
alsliner.com
envy4X4.com
your rig is so black it makes your tires look brown!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

Originally Posted by npk
your rig is so black it makes your tires look brown!

Ha Ha, Its not as shiney now so mabe they dont look so brown anymore.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by npk
i am not a big fan of using bed liner on the entire vehicle but i like it on the rockers. is this stuff easy to keep clean? seems to me the rough surface would help hold the mud on. also.... the stuff is expensive! compared to cheap paint anyway. you mentioned that you didn't want to do the prep for a paint job. will the bed liner stick without any prep?
This may vary with different brands, but the bedliner spray/roll-on products I looked at all came down to prepping by sanding the area you're going to apply the product to with a 180 grit paper, and red scotch-brite in the hard to reach areas.

Cleaning isn't a problem, but I use a pressure washer for everything, so I cant speak for a garden hose with or without a high pressure nozzle.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Just to add on to this....

What I plan to do, again, if/when I decide to spray the bottom of my XJ with bedliner, is to go talk to the local 4x4 Shop, as they apply spray-on bedliners, and see what they would charge me to spray the XJ for me, assuming I am responsible for handling all the prep work excluding taping/masking.

Even though I would love to do it myself, with what it looks like I would have invested into the project, it may be cheaper to have them do it.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by npk
Yes with out prep I bet you five bucks within the first month it peals and cracks off...cause there's nothing for it to adhere too

Quick Reply: Fixing The Rust and bedlinering the outside