Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone PLEASE explain the difference between Warn locking hubs, a locker, etc???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Can someone PLEASE explain the difference between Warn locking hubs, a locker, etc???

I am trying to understand why a person would want to do a Warn locking hub conversion to a front Dana 30, as opposed to a locker, LSD, or other traction device...

I have searched and read, however it's like drinking from a fire hose... the more I read the more confused I get.... HELP!!!! If someone understands the difference and can articulate/compare them, you would REALLY be helping me out. Pros/Cons to both... etc...

I so have a basic understanding of how the lockers/lsd/etc operate within the diff and the Warn hubs operate at the wheel/hub/axle... but that's about it.

I want to get an ARB air locker for my 8.25 rear, but not sure what I am going to do with the front yet. I am running a 5.5 RE lift, will be running 33's, and it will be a weekend rock/mud/combo toy that I will semi-DD when the wife has the "civilized" vehicle and the weather isn't good for the Harley....

Thanks a bunch in advance guys...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Locking hubs are a different animal from a differential locker. With the Dana 30, the wheels are connected to the axles and the differential at all times (with the exception of some older, pre-92 cherokees I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong). This means that when you are driving in 2wd, the front wheels will be spinning the shafts and gears and your front driveshaft. Warn lockout hubs allow you to disconnect the wheels from the axles, so that they are not always spinning while driving around in 2wd. They can be convenient if you have a "locker" in the front axle so the wheels don't bind up on turns.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Locking hubs are a different animal from a differential locker. With the Dana 30, the wheels are connected to the axles and the differential at all times (with the exception of some older, pre-92 cherokees I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong). This means that when you are driving in 2wd, the front wheels will be spinning the shafts and gears and your front driveshaft. Warn lockout hubs allow you to disconnect the wheels from the axles, so that they are not always spinning while driving around in 2wd. They can be convenient if you have a "locker" in the front axle so the wheels don't bind up on turns.
Thanks for the info so far!

So, the Warn hubs can be used with or without a traction device if I am understanding you correctly? So what is the point of having them? Are you saying that having them will allow me to have a locker up front without the dreaded wheel hop/chirp? Why not use an LSD then?....

I know I am dense on this, bear with me guys....
Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Even without them you won't notice a locker up front when in 2wd. I run locking hubs because I tend to break a good bit and I can disconnect the axle from the wheel instead of having to pull the axle right then. Some claim it'll help with gas mileage but most agree it isn't a noticeable difference and not worth the 4-500 bucks it cost to convert a D30. My axle came with them and my only other option is drive slugs and I like the ability to disconnect.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Even without them you won't notice a locker up front when in 2wd. I run locking hubs because I tend to break a good bit and I can disconnect the axle from the wheel instead of having to pull the axle right then. Some claim it'll help with gas mileage but most agree it isn't a noticeable difference and not worth the 4-500 bucks it cost to convert a D30. My axle came with them and my only other option is drive slugs and I like the ability to disconnect.
How so? If the front wheels are going (being pushed by rear wheels in 2hi), wouldn't they be reliant on the differential to spin at different speeds?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Yes but auto lockers rely on torque and if there isn't any they will ratchet in a turn. I've run lunchbox lockers for over 10 years in the front and driven on the street and you don't notice them. My buddy has a Detroit in his front D30 and it'll turn on a dime in 2wd.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I 4.0

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

How so? If the front wheels are going (being pushed by rear wheels in 2hi), wouldn't they be reliant on the differential to spin at different speeds?
It depends on the locker. Of course if its a selectable one then its an open diff when not engaged. If you put a lunchbox locker in the front then they function as an open diff when power is not supplied via the front drive shaft. Some other lockers require hub conversions for front axle applications such as spools but most do not.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Good points...thanks guys I should know this by now lol sorry to jack the thread, didn't mean to do that. Back to the topic of hubs, I know I would like the option for lockout hubs on my D30, but it is just too expensive
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

Year: 2001

I'm about to do this because my front driveshaft drives me crazy at freeway speeds. It's very a expensive mod, but I can't stand taking out the front driveshaft on long trips, then having to put it back on when I get where I'm going. So for me, the two benefits of the warn locking hubs are disconnecting front driveshaft from axle and serviceable hubs (bearings). Plus, if you break an axle, your not totally screwed. ( & My gas mileage has noticeably improved without the front DS in)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering the cost of gas, any improvement helps.

Having the ability to completely disengage the front wheels is a plus.

The downside, obviously it's the price. This seems to bother XJ owners more than anything else.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Not to thread jack but on the same topic. With locking hubs, when they are unlocked does the spider gears and such still rotate or do they just sit there and dry out, figure of speech
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

They do not rotate.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
They do not rotate.
So is that bad for them and the oil on there. Like it can break down. Least when the ds is removed on the d 30, everything is still being lubed
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

No. The gear oil still going to get splashed around just from the movement of the vehicle.

Won't hurt anything at all. Manual hubs have been around for a long time and are a well-proven design.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

How much of a MPGs increase could locking hubs really give?

Quick Reply: Can someone PLEASE explain the difference between Warn locking hubs, a locker, etc???