Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushwacker flats + front splash guards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Bushwacker flats + front splash guards?

I tried searching for this, and literally found nothing. I was wondering if anyone has used the factory splash shields with the flat flares? The flares come with the plastic rivet things which I assume are for reattaching the guards. Most jeeps I see don't run them, but I would prefer to run mine and wondering if anyone has had experience reinstalling them with the flat flares as I may be starting this project tonight.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I don't run flares at all, but I'll give you a bit of input. When I did my cut and fold initially I did it so I could keep the inner liner. However, the pinch seam inside the wheel well became an issue at full stuff. I ended up ditching the liners and beating the pinch seam over. If you keep up with washing the fenders out, it isn't a big deal.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

they actually give you the plastic clips to re install the splash guards... me i just threw them away

http://www.bushwacker.com/Instructions/10922_r0.pdf

look at page 9 image 42 it talks about re installing inner splash.. if you have any other questions let me know i installed these myself took me about 8 hours to do all 4
Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

I reinstalled the inners on mine after installing my BW flat fenders. It works good, just be careful, they tell you to cut/trim them. I cut way too much & now I have to go to the JY and grab.a new set. Just take your time, the install took me a lot of time but I measure twice & cut once (except for the inners, obviously). Good luck.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by mehoff_400
they actually give you the plastic clips to re install the splash guards... me i just threw them away

http://www.bushwacker.com/Instructions/10922_r0.pdf

look at page 9 image 42 it talks about re installing inner splash.. if you have any other questions let me know i installed these myself took me about 8 hours to do all 4
That color PDF is so much better than the one that comes with it. So, only trim if needed seems to be the verdict. Awesome! I'm picking away at it day by day. I've got rust repair and bedlining to do, and I'm very intricate and focused on plugging any potential source of rust, or any entry points for water and dirt. Even still I will probably plug the inner fender where it meets with the rocker panel to prevent any more crud from getting inside the rocker.

I don't run flares at all, but I'll give you a bit of input. When I did my cut and fold initially I did it so I could keep the inner liner. However, the pinch seam inside the wheel well became an issue at full stuff. I ended up ditching the liners and beating the pinch seam over. If you keep up with washing the fenders out, it isn't a big deal.
Well, bending the pinch seam over is part of the instructions for the flat flares, so I think I'll be fine there. I'm still undercoating all the fenders inside and out, and may even bedline the splash guards, too. I am in full war mode with rust!

Here's where I'm at so far with the install...maybe an hour into it, almost ready to start cutting this one. Pay no mind to that rusty OEM shock, haha
Name:  IMG_2246_zpsafcbd2da.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  73.7 KB