Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided REAR brake lines.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust
Default Braided REAR brake lines.

Hey guys. Two questions-

1.) Do you guys know of anywhere that sells braided brake lines for the rear of our XJs? Like to completely replace all the hard lines.

2.) If not, I have been scouring the internet but can not find out what size the fittings are. I need to know from the point at which it drops down to the axle all the way to the brake calipers. I assume they are all 3/16 but I want to be sure as I will just order some custom length ones from one of those companies online. (no way to measure them)

Oh- and the reasons I want to replace them are: My front braided have lasted for along time. My rear hard lines have broken several times. The braided ones are flexible and easy to get how I want them- hard lines, not so much. With the truss in the rear it is a giant PITA to get them anywhere close to the housing.

Being as I have seen everything from race cars to monster trucks with all braided line, I am not worried about the risk of the soft line exploding/expanding.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Check out "Crown" I think are where mine came from the rubber covered SS Braided ones.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Check out "Crown" I think are where mine came from the rubber covered SS Braided ones.
Yours replaced the hard lines on the rear axle? there are 1000 companies that sell them for the front/down to the axle but i cant find any that replace the lines on the rear axle. Thanks for the tip. Ill check it out!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The point of the braiding is to protect the rubber and to not let it expand. The hard lines are already the best they can be at this - what is the point in changing them?

If they are rusting out, I recommend getting NiCopp lines - they have a copper tone to them. They won't have the shielding, though I thought of just getting some 4AN line and using that as a "sheild" over the brake lines. If you're doing it for looks, that'd work for that too.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

One place - Crown Performance. I will rep these guys every chance I get b/c they have built me so many unique assemblies and they have been nothing but top notch for a reasonable price. Here is a picture of my rear line setup - I chose to keep the hard line cross over and sourced that from Autozone in their pre-built hard line assemblies. I want to say I picked a 48" one and cut a few inches off/re-flared the end with a tool you can rent there.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BooGTS
The point of the braiding is to protect the rubber and to not let it expand. The hard lines are already the best they can be at this - what is the point in changing them?

If they are rusting out, I recommend getting NiCopp lines - they have a copper tone to them. They won't have the shielding, though I thought of just getting some 4AN line and using that as a "sheild" over the brake lines. If you're doing it for looks, that'd work for that too.
Everywhere I look, the Teflon flexible lines are rated to at least 6000 psi before breaking... an XJs system will never come remotely close to that. The reason I want them is so I can route them easily around my truss/breathers/air line etc. and not have to mess with trying to get the hard lines to bend correctly. On top of that, the fittings on the hard lines are so soft and easy to strip out/break etc.. Granted I dont pull my axle everyday but when I do, I have to get a new set of hardlines almost every time.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Everywhere I look, the Teflon flexible lines are rated to at least 6000 psi before breaking... an XJs system will never come remotely close to that. The reason I want them is so I can route them easily around my truss/breathers/air line etc. and not have to mess with trying to get the hard lines to bend correctly. On top of that, the fittings on the hard lines are so soft and easy to strip out/break etc.. Granted I dont pull my axle everyday but when I do, I have to get a new set of hardlines almost every time.
Contact Frank at Serious Off Road.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Well I found a chain called "House of Hose" that said they make them all the time. Napa does not. Closest one to me is in Spokane, WA so Ill just order some from them?

Does anyone know the thread/pitch etc of the fittings? I can bring my current ones into Napa and they might know but It'll be a few days before I'm able. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2015, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Well I found a chain called "House of Hose" that said they make them all the time. Napa does not. Closest one to me is in Spokane, WA so Ill just order some from them?

Does anyone know the thread/pitch etc of the fittings? I can bring my current ones into Napa and they might know but It'll be a few days before I'm able. Thanks!