Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew 2 35s on passenger front wheel within 200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Blew 2 35s on passenger front wheel within 200 miles

So I'm super confused with my Jeep right now. I buy a new set of 35s and install a front lokka (lunchbox) locker. I drive 150 miles, go wheeling for 35 miles, and turn back to head home. I show up at the gas station to air back up my tires and my right front is completely flat with leaks in the sidewall. Keep in mind this didn't happen wheeling, but the 4 miles I drove to get from Hollister HVA to Hollister, CA to air back up. I say eeeeef it and throw on my full size spare. Same brand, same size, same wheel. So now I'm rolling on four tires again, but 100 miles later on the highway, the jeep starts pulling right again and I realize that I have another flat on the passenger front. Immediately, I check the caliper so see if it was getting hot (seized,) jack the car to see if the lokka was locking prematurely (was rotating just fine with clicks,) and then touch both front tires to see if they were hot to the touch. Left front isn't hot to touch but right was a little warm which is expected after blowing a damn tire at highway speeds, so now I'm confused.
I have a complete set of 33s that I threw back on to get it an alignment and the alignment numbers were straight when I took it in. So it's not alignment, not seized caliper, and doesn't seem like it would be the lokka. I bought my 35s off of craigslist for a ridiculous price ($480 for 5 tires and wheels with fake locks) so could it be that these tires are weather cracked and just keep blowing, or is there something wrong with my rig that I should check that is making these tires blow on the front right every time?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

**** off any girls lately????
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

You can determine how old they are with a code on the tire. The DOT code will look something like DOT U2LL JKJK5107. That tells you the tires were made in the 51st week of 2007. I would check for that code on the tire, because it sounds to me like you got a case of the "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". I can't imagine what would make two tires go flat like that unless they were dry rotted. Or you managed to pick up something when you were on the trails.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the fender lip and fender wheel to make sure the body isn't cutting the tire.Or some one sold you some junk tires cheap which can happen.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

Thanks for the heads up gpXJ. Never knew about the DOT date stamp before, but definitely should have checked that. The last four on mine were 1203 which means these tires are over ten years old. Wish I had known that, but it looks like this is going to be an expensive lesson haha. I just can't unload these on anyone else or I'd feel like an ***. Thanks for all the help, looks like I'm going back to 33s for an oil change or two.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If those tires were mine I would run the remaining 3 "Off Road ONLY" when I get to the trails. Go ahead and buy 5 new ones but just run 1 of them to start and another for a spare till they blow out.

If you air down for the trail you need a compressor to air your tires back up when finished, not running them on hard surfaces at low psi.. This is very hard on any tire old or new, I carry a Viair compressor with me for that very reason among others. Mine is 150 psi. constant duty and comes in a kit with everything you need on the trail, about $300 complete the price of a single 35" tire a lot of times.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Uhmmm.. you do know Hollister has air at the main entrance... And the town is a bit further than 4 miles. More like 10 .
Old 12-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by gpXJ
You can determine how old they are with a code on the tire. The DOT code will look something like DOT U2LL JKJK5107. That tells you the tires were made in the 51st week of 2007. I would check for that code on the tire, because it sounds to me like you got a case of the "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". I can't imagine what would make two tires go flat like that unless they were dry rotted. Or you managed to pick up something when you were on the trails.

Sucks you got screwed on your tires.

I didn't know this, great tip!!!! Will be checking all used tires from now on.