Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best MT tire for me and my XJ

Old 09-03-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Best MT tire for me and my XJ

I'm sure this post is all too common but I'm thinking individual regions dictate different recommendations. I'm totally new to off road tires. I have done some reading around and have a couple tires on my radar but still wanna ask the XJ dedicated crowd. So, as for my region, I'm in Northern Kentucky. I would be wheeling here and in the surrounding states. I'm looking for sound advice and recommendations from those most experienced with off road tires and selection. I'd rather not hear the recommendations of those who just pick a scary looking tire, I can screw that up myself. I'm only interested in the best performing, longest lasting, most reliable tire for my specific application. Ok, so I am going with 33's, my XJ isn't a dedicated DD so total achievable mileage doesn't have to dictate here completely. At the same time, I don't want a poor, noisy on road performer that I only squeeze 25K out of. I will typically be traveling 100 or more miles to wheeling locations around me so I guess I'll see 50/50 on/off road usage? I would say I am favoring off road capability over on road for sure. Let me know what you think, any other factors to consider that I haven't thought of, feel free to let me know. Thanks y'all!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

toyo mt and cooper discoverer stt pro a lot of people love them and they aint too extra like a super swamper is.Or a tight budget https://www.treadwright.com/ are recaps but some people love them.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
toyo mt and cooper discoverer stt pro a lot of people love them and they aint too extra like a super swamper is.Or a tight budget https://www.treadwright.com/ are recaps but some people love them.
The cooper was one of the ones on my radar, glowing reviews and a sweet price for me to save $200 towards a better more complete lift kit. That one just moved to the top of my list I think.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

i have the older cooper discoverer stt's and love them, great wear, great traction on the road in the rain as well as the rocks(not much mud here)

i dig mtr kevlars and the new bfg ko2 a/t
Old 09-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

the new cooper stt pro is on my jeep, very happy w/ them & the price aint bad either.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:20 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

I've been running Mickey Thompson MTZ on my JK and I've been pretty happy with them. Granted, I'm running slick rock for the most part, but I've had it in the mud/snow a bit and no issues. I drive the snot out of it and the tires have really held up. Minimal chunking from the rocks and seem to void well enough in the mud.

You might also check out Mastercraft Courser MXT. I ran the old version of this tire and the new ones look even better. I had two sets of the old version and they were great in the Illinois slop and decent in the rocks.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

I have had Pro Comp MT, they were OK, ONLY OK, and then I had some BFG MT, like those alot, but now I am on Goodyear Kevlar MT, I like them alot. Only issue I had with them is they took a few trips and a few hundred miles to the tire shop to get balanced correctly.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

These have worked well for me mostly on trails mud and snow they are Gladiator GR 9000-M/T and the price for 5 of them mounted, balanced, new valve stems, tax out the door was $589.25.
Name:  Jeep3-29-14023_zpscdb1ae5a.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  86.8 KB
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM
LSK

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

convenient thread, lol.

my xj is probably 50/50 and currently on discoverer A/Ts.

Want to stick with 31s but an M/T.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

For us not familiar with your area and the terrain, please inform us of what kind of offroading you'll be doing. I have quite a bit of experience with different tires and would like to recommend something that would better suit your needs.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

The OP if from Northern KY. Terrain is going to be a mix of muddy trails with stumps and some rocks depending on the area. Rocks are slippery mixed with the mud. Hills and v-notches I'm sure.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I will throw in Hankook MTs Good on the street and a fairly aggressive tread at a good price.
These tires are so sticky you can run on the side of a wall. 30x9.50 15s
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
For us not familiar with your area and the terrain, please inform us of what kind of offroading you'll be doing. I have quite a bit of experience with different tires and would like to recommend something that would better suit your needs.
I'd have to go with what emptypockets said. I've never been to any of the local spots like Red River Gorge or Natural Bridge or the Daniel Boone back country byway. His painted picture is accurate for KY though, that's my terrain experience with the few atv parks I've been dirt biking at around here so...
Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 AM
CF Veteran

This is dirty turtle off road park in ky
Thats a easy trail and here is a harder one
Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I wouldn't recommend a true all-terrain with that kind of sludgy mud. You need a tire with wider voids in the tread for better cleaning otherwise you'll be sliding around on slicks. I think you would benefit from more of a mud tire with good on-road quality. Mud tires have come a long way from what they used to be. Their on-road characteristics have gotten much better. The tires that I would personally put into this category would be (no specific order):

Goodyear MT/R Kevlars

Mickey Thompson MTZ

Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

Dick Cepek Extreme Country

One exception to the mud-terrain tire would be a Duratrac. They seem like great tires for just about anything. I just don't know how they do for cleaning. Maybe someone can weigh-in on that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best MT tire for me and my XJ