Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bastard pack question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile Bastard pack question

Hey guys, I am setting up to start my lift, gathering parts and such, i snatched a second xj leaf pack from a junkyard with an add a leaf in it for what seemed was 3 inches, anyways, my question is, for those who are more knowledgeable about bastard packs and add a leafs, what would be the best combination for a smooth flexy 3 inch lift? use aal or just make a bastard pack? or use the aal and xj leaves? xj main, xj main trimmed, xj 2nd, xj 2nd trimmed, aal, xj 3rd ?

Jeep is a 95 xj country, 8.25 rear, stock height for now
going to be going with 31s
parts planned: have pro comp shocks for rear, getting new shocks up front, and zj coils with 2 inch spacers, and some sort of bastard combo pack for the rear

Thanks, this is my first lift, and I have been reading a lot and searching a lot, i just cant seem to find any info on using a second xj pack for a bastard pack, i know it has very little arch, thats why i am thinking i can combine the aal for the arch and use the bastard for more strength, but maybe im just completely off.
I dont have a way to post pics right now at work
Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joecfran
Hey guys, I am setting up to start my lift, gathering parts and such, i snatched a second xj leaf pack from a junkyard with an add a leaf in it for what seemed was 3 inches, anyways, my question is, for those who are more knowledgeable about bastard packs and add a leafs, what would be the best combination for a smooth flexy 3 inch lift? use aal or just make a bastard pack? or use the aal and xj leaves? xj main, xj main trimmed, xj 2nd, xj 2nd trimmed, aal, xj 3rd ?

Jeep is a 95 xj country, 8.25 rear, stock height for now
going to be going with 31s
parts planned: have pro comp shocks for rear, getting new shocks up front, and zj coils with 2 inch spacers, and some sort of bastard combo pack for the rear

Thanks, this is my first lift, and I have been reading a lot and searching a lot, i just cant seem to find any info on using a second xj pack for a bastard pack, i know it has very little arch, thats why i am thinking i can combine the aal for the arch and use the bastard for more strength, but maybe im just completely off.
I dont have a way to post pics right now at work

AAL and bastard packs are a whole different ball game.

i'd only do an AAL with a long leaf, as for bastard packs, put it together, if you don't like how flexy or the ride height, add or remove leaf springs, its kind of a guess and check game. good luck.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 AM

But my question is if I go the bastard pack route, how much lift would I even get from the extra xj leaves? I have been searching for days and can't find the info on xj+xj bastard packs
Old 11-21-2013, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

But my question is if I go the bastard pack route, how much lift would I even get from the extra xj leaves? I have been searching for days and can't find the info on xj+xj bastard packs
I believe adding just xj leafs gets you somewhere around 2-3" lift and going with the s10 pack with just a cherokee main on top is 3.5-4" lift.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Is it really a ridiculous notion to double up xj packs with the add a leaf in the middle for the curve? if i leave out the overload im assuming it would stay ridiculously stiff? Like i said ive been searching, just not much info on this, i dont see why adding the thinner softer xj leafs with the add a leaf is a bad thing tho but im no spring engineer either :/
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Is it really a ridiculous notion to double up xj packs with the add a leaf in the middle for the curve? if i leave out the overload im assuming it would stay ridiculously stiff? Like i said ive been searching, just not much info on this, i dont see why adding the thinner softer xj leafs with the add a leaf is a bad thing tho but im no spring engineer either :/
I did this exact thing, xj main xj main with the loops cut off then add a leaf then the rest of the original pack and it gave me three inches of lift and a year later of alot of flexing and wheeling its still hasn't saged it sat at 4 inches but settled to three

Bastard pack question-image-2006773524.jpg

And how it is now

Bastard pack question-image-2638292507.jpg
Old 11-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1995xjsport
I did this exact thing, xj main xj main with the loops cut off then add a leaf then the rest of the original pack and it gave me three inches of lift and a year later of alot of flexing and wheeling its still hasn't saged it sat at 4 inches but settled to three

And how it is now
Awesome man! thanks! thats what i needed to read! lol thats exactly what i am looking for man, sweet lookin xj by the way!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

depends on the condition of the factory XJ springs you've aquired, are they all clapped out? if so you won't get as much lift as if they were new.

sometimes its worth it to just buy new springs (i'm on a budget too) i'll probably grab a set of dakota or S10 leafts next time i'm at the bone yard.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Well if you search a bit more and do some advance search, you could find my thread in naxja showing all the common bastard pack leafs used and what their spring weight and capacity is and such
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Awesome man! thanks! thats what i needed to read! lol thats exactly what i am looking for man, sweet lookin xj by the way!
Thanks I'm on a high school budget so it's a slow build that cost to much. But she's my baby and I've lost girl friends because I needed to fix my jeep and couldn't hang out with them but what ever
Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1995xjsport
Thanks I'm on a high school budget so it's a slow build that cost to much. But she's my baby and I've lost girl friends because I needed to fix my jeep and couldn't hang out with them but what ever

take my words of advice

your jeep won't cry when you're in another jeep.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by skife

take my words of advice

your jeep won't cry when you're in another jeep.
Yes she will