Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another radiator thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o
Default Another radiator thread

Hello, I have a 1997 country xj with a 3" lift and 31's. Stock axles and gears, no tow package. I added a tranny cooler in front of the radiator so I could pull my pop up camper. So normally the temp is fine but when pulling the camper in the summer with ac on and temps around 100F it gets warm. Also when wheeling in the Mountains of colorado it can get warm as well. I need to replace my radiator because part of the plastic drain thing broke off inside the unit. Whats everybody doing about upgrading the factory radiator? I really dont want hood vents btw.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

A general overhaul of the cooling system may be beneficial. In both my Cherokee and Comanche I've been running generic parts store radiators and don't have a problem. Make sure you have a complete fan shroud on your mechanical fan and that the electric fan is working properly. Replace the water pump and hoses and flush the block and heater hoses with a hose pipe the best you can and it will probably run cooler just from refreshing all the parts. Also might as well throw in a radiator cap and thermostat since they're a few bucks each.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Default Thanks

Cool man I have been hearing alot of horror stories when people put in a 2 or 3 core radiator.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fan relay

Generic off Amazon

Champion Off eBay

Radiator hose adapter

Man. My champion aluminum radiator with three electric fans is awesome. Never goes above 180.But what a headache for me. To me it was a lot of work but was so worth it. First generic aluminium one from amazon fit good exept for the tranny line. I return it Because the fitting lines were made of cheap brass and sucked. But you would probably plug yours of because you have an external tranny cooler. Ialso had to wire in a dual relay system with electronic temp sensor. I wired two fans to the relay system with a manual bypass switch under the dash and the third fan that turns on with the a/c. There were no more openings for the new temp sensor for the relay system .so I had to get an in-line 30mm upper radiator hose adapter. It has a 1/8 npt thread. See pic. I also found a 180 off and on sensor. The champion one I got needed radiator support mods but that was just a matter of cutting it down across the top and around the cap.and I had to remove the studs and use bolts on my serpentine belt tensioner Because it hit the electric fans. Like the previous guy said. Replace the water pump, thermostat,upper and lower hoses ,cap and flush the system. Make sure you use the correct temp thermostat I didn’t the first time.If you do flush your system, use the prestone flush. I used an heavy duty cleaner in my 1996 and my heater core started leaking because the heavy duty chemical flush ate up the heater core. I would also get a new clutch for the clutch fan. I had two Cherokees that got warmer under load then I wanted. Both clutchs were hard to tell but were slightly going out. Once I replaced the clutch I never had a problem again.Hopefully you or someone else can use some of what I wrote.

Last edited by Freddysxj; 02-02-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Freddysxj

Fan relay

Generic off Amazon

Champion Off eBay

Radiator hose adapter

Man. My champion aluminum radiator with three electric fans is awesome. Never goes above 180.But what a headache for me. To me it was a lot of work but was so worth it. First generic aluminium one from amazon fit good exept for the tranny line. I return it Because the fitting lines were made of cheap brass and sucked. But you would probably plug yours of because you have an external tranny cooler. Ialso had to wire in a dual relay system with electronic temp sensor. I wired two fans to the relay system with a manual bypass switch under the dash and the third fan that turns on with the a/c. There were no more openings for the new temp sensor for the relay system .so I had to get an in-line 30mm upper radiator hose adapter. It has a 1/8 npt thread. See pic. I also found a 180 off and on sensor. The champion one I got needed radiator support mods but that was just a matter of cutting it down across the top and around the cap.and I had to remove the studs and use bolts on my serpentine belt tensioner Because it hit the electric fans. Like the previous guy said. Replace the water pump, thermostat,upper and lower hoses ,cap and flush the system. Make sure you use the correct temp thermostat I didn’t the first time.If you do flush your system, use the prestone flush. I used an heavy duty cleaner in my 1996 and my heater core started leaking because the heavy duty chemical flush ate up the heater core. I would also get a new clutch for the clutch fan. I had two Cherokees that got warmer under load then I wanted. Both clutchs were hard to tell but were slightly going out. Once I replaced the clutch I never had a problem again.Hopefully you or someone else can use some of what I wrote.
A factory cooling system should be sufficient as long as it's in good shape. Spending all that money and effort isn't necessary. Another reason I like to stay factory is that anywhere I take my jeep I can easily find parts at any parts stores. It gets hard and complicated when you have to wait on parts to ship to you.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Last year I did a ton of research on cooling system upgrades and ultimately ended up buying OEM parts. Aluminum radiators have very hit or miss reviews unless you spend the coin for a Griffin. You also could get a Mopar HD radiator but they're pricey and hard to find. I advocate picking up a Spectre brand OEM rad from Autozone. Cheap and lifetime warranty. If you read up you'll find many people recommend the same.

Also I'd like to reiterate the importance of an intact fan shroud, strong fan clutch, and functional electric fan. Don't be tempted to buy a thermostat cooler than 190°. The system was designed to run at 190°, not 180°.

Cooling system maintenance is important. Stay ahead of it.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:55 PM

Default Thanks

Well yes I would like to avoid having to modify a bunch under the hood since I drive from Texas to Colorado and wheel it every once n a while. I have not flushed the system with a cleaner yet and I have had it for 8 years oops. The water pump and thermostate were changed about 25000mi ago. I have flushed with hose water every 2 years. I will get a new fan clutch as that's not been changed radiator cap and a specter radiator. My electric fan is working great and the shroud is intact. If anyone else has some tips keep them coming.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD

Man. My champion aluminum radiator with three electric fans is awesome. Never goes above 180.
Dayum, that's a lot of time and money to spend when any parts house radiator is sufficient if the system is working properly.

I'd also be unhappy with it running at 180* all the time, since you're losing efficiency in your engine.

I've gone through more cooling systems than you can shake a stick at between jeeps owned and jeeps flipped/sold.

General parts store stuff has never failed me, but I also go well above and beyond what most do for a complete flush (It can take half a day or more).

The only vehicle that runs slightly "hot" would be my wife's '96, but I'm 99.9% certain it's the temp sender, not the system itself.

OP, there's a good (recent) thread on NAXJA going through all sorts of radiators for an XJ (from Mopar, to Mishimoto, to parts store) I would recommend looking at.

Most people, should be fine with a parts store radiator (as long as it was made correctly) being sufficient for cooling.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:03 AM

I have to agree that a good quality stock $120 radiator is sufficient enough for most. Not for me. But for an extra $250 and about 4 hours of labor. It was so worth it to me. You always run into snags along the way. That’s four wheeling. At least I got a refund on on my crappy radiator and only lost about $50 and a couple hours because I went to cheap.The nice part about it is I just brought my cherokee out of the Stone Age. I have never liked dealing with clutch fans and plastic fan shrouds. Freerder15,I don’t know why you are saying that a constant 180 degrees is inefficient. We can agree to disagree. All my jeep Cherokees I have owned ran between 195 and 200. My jeep runs way better at 180. But that 180 is during the winter. Nothing under the hood gets as hot now. I used to be able to fry an egg on the hood and when I ran it for a couple hours, I would almost burn my hand trying to open the hood. That 15 to 20 degrees make a big difference everywhere.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

I have to agree that a good quality stock $120 radiator is sufficient enough for most. Not for me. But for an extra $250 and about 4 hours of labor. It was so worth it to me. You always run into snags along the way. That’s four wheeling. At least I got a refund on on my crappy radiator and only lost about $50 and a couple hours because I went to cheap.The nice part about it is I just brought my cherokee out of the Stone Age. I have never liked dealing with clutch fans and plastic fan shrouds. Freerder15,I don’t know why you are saying that a constant 180 degrees is inefficient. We can agree to disagree. All my jeep Cherokees I have owned ran between 195 and 200. My jeep runs way better at 180. But that 180 is during the winter. Nothing under the hood gets as hot now. I used to be able to fry an egg on the hood and when I ran it for a couple hours, I would almost burn my hand trying to open the hood. That 15 to 20 degrees make a big difference everywhere.
The engineers designed Cherokees with a 195 Tstat in them, therefore they are designed to run around 195 and are most efficient at that temperature. It's not really a matter of opinion that it was designed to run at a certain temperature and now yours does not run at that temperature. I've seen a lot more electric fans, electric parts, and sensors fail than catastrophic clutch fan failure. I've seen the clutch wear out over a great period of time, but I've also experienced my electric fan exploding apart spectacularly. Electric fans work great when they work, but when they fail you're up the creek. Another note to be made my radiator cost me $60 not $120 and it's been cooling my Jeep just fine. I'm not saying I subject my Cherokee to the most extreme conditions, but I do regularly take it offroad and run it for hours with the AC on at low speeds crawling and bouncing off the rev limiter and it has only got hot once on the trail when the electric fan relay died.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts

The best cooling setup in my opinion is a properly working factory cooling system and radiator with a fan clutch off of a 4cly to pull more air, and the elecric fan on a switch. As said before the 3 core radiators and all electric fan setup is hit and miss, some people like them and others have nothing but problems with them.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998 (buggy), 1998 DD

Freerder15,I don’t know why you are saying that a constant 180 degrees is inefficient. We can agree to disagree. All my jeep Cherokees I have owned ran between 195 and 200. My jeep runs way better at 180. But that 180 is during the winter. Nothing under the hood gets as hot now. I used to be able to fry an egg on the hood and when I ran it for a couple hours, I would almost burn my hand trying to open the hood. That 15 to 20 degrees make a big difference everywhere.
This isn't a matter of my opinion, but just general fact in regards to the motor, how it works, is programmed, etc. (I'm a Mech. Eng. by trade, and have friends who work in the Auto Industry, and one who works for Bosch for emissions, testing, etc.).

Trust me when I say that the operating temp for a 4.0 is ~210°F, and there's a reason for it. The engineers behind the motor didn't just arbitrarily pick that number, or just get it and accept it.

It all ties in as well, to what your emissions system is reading, injector input, etc.

Your system is likely effects from your motor running 30°F off, you just might not be directly noticing them.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:30 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This is hard one to fix.