Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket ECU options

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Aftermarket ECU options

So before all the flaming begins I should say that I completely understand the price tag and labor associated with installing an aftermarket ECU.

I wouldn't be asking for advice if I wasn't serious about the purchase.

I will be having my 4.0 renix block rebuilt into a 4.7 stroker by a local performance shop. Probably late summer-ish. If I am running an aftermarket ECU it will be easier to make necessary modifications while the engine is apart.

Ultimately I would like coil packs, and a drive by wire throttle body with electric gas pedal. I don't feel like explaining my reasoning behind this. I haven't done a ton of research regarding these upgrades, but there will be plenty of time for that later.

I would also like supercharger or turbo support if I feel like going that route.

So far I have been looking at the Holley Dominator and Megasquirt ECUs.

I'm not asking for a how-to guide. I'm really just looking for someone to point me toward a product that I can look into.

Is there another ECU I should consider for this application?

Last edited by craigjacob1; 02-24-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

i think mega squirt is going to be about your only option. or you could do a gm lsx conversion for the same/less money and utilize the stock gm ecu. jus sayin
Old 02-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by s346k
i think mega squirt is going to be about your only option. or you could do a gm lsx conversion for the same/less money and utilize the stock gm ecu. jus sayin

I thought about a v8 swap. I had an opportunity to pick up a full 6.0 conversion kit for less than 2k on craigslist.

I went with a jeep because I like the inline 6 motor. If I can hit the 300hp (something like 220WHP) range with the 4.7 l6 I will be completely satisfied with that. I'm trying to keep it semi-traditional. Even if it does cost a bit more to do so.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 02-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

i get it, i’m just hassling you. i’m not terribly experienced with MS, my only dealings with it were on a 408” na ford motor. after a bit of trial and error we got it figured out, not a huge learning curve if you have any tuning experience.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by s346k
i get it, i’m just hassling you. i’m not terribly experienced with MS, my only dealings with it were on a 408” na ford motor. after a bit of trial and error we got it figured out, not a huge learning curve if you have any tuning experience.
I don't have any tuning experience, however I do have quite a bit of experience with hardware and software programming.
It shouldn't be impossible for me to figure everything out. Especially considering I will have extremely accurate specs for the motor.

I'm planning on doing the wiring myself as well. I already have a few thousand feet of 16AWG tefzel stocked and ready to go, as well as nylon multi-filament braided sleeves in various sizes, crimpers for just about everything, and a ton of teflon heat shrink. Most all of the harnesses will go to deutsch style connectors.

I was looking at both the AEM and Haltech ecu kits. I wasn't aware that there are so many options. The amount of information to sift through is slightly overwhelming.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Most of those stand alone ecu systems you'll have to tune and not something for a rookie to play with it.Honestly a lq4 will give you more power then that stroker kit and junkyard with the harness and ecu under a grand and depending the year you can get that drive by wire you want.Drive by wire on a jeep 4.0 you need a degree from M.I.T. to get it to work.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I am currently running a supercharged 4.0 with an aem 1913 FIC. It's a PITA to tune without a dyno or a co-rider.

I have piggybacked MS2 extra on a 99 turbo neon. I went piggyback so I could run my gauges and swap over to stock control for emissions. I was an amateur at best back then and what really helped was DIY autotune. It does exactly what it says it does. You drive it tunes.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cummins93
I am currently running a supercharged 4.0 with an aem 1913 FIC. It's a PITA to tune without a dyno or a co-rider.

I have piggybacked MS2 extra on a 99 turbo neon. I went piggyback so I could run my gauges and swap over to stock control for emissions. I was an amateur at best back then and what really helped was DIY autotune. It does exactly what it says it does. You drive it tunes.

I appreciate the input.

The megasquirt MS3pro does not support drive by wire. Also the fuel map seems rather limited.
The Haltech E2500 or the AEM 7 series would probably work.

So far I'm really leaning toward the Holley Dominator. It comes with all of the bells and whistles. It is actually less expensive than the Haltech E2500 or AEM 7.
It allows you to keep 4 different calibrations. It also looks like there is an ignition style key you can add for switching between maps without opening software.
And it includes the ability to program an automatic transmission.

Last edited by craigjacob1; 02-25-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

You might want to read in to that holley ecu more it only works with gm and ford trans.To get it just to work on the jeeps 4.0 you'll have to change out every sensor on the engine and maybe the distributor or rig up some gm ls coil packs.And probably have to change out the fuel injectors also.You can get a junkyard ls 4.8 and 4l60e trans with the wiring harness and ecu for about the price of that holley one.Have the anti theft system turned off and youll have more power then that stroker kit makes plus being a ls with bolt ons you can push 500hp or throw on a blower and see 800hp.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
You might want to read in to that holley ecu more it only works with gm and ford trans.To get it just to work on the jeeps 4.0 you'll have to change out every sensor on the engine and maybe the distributor or rig up some gm ls coil packs.And probably have to change out the fuel injectors also.You can get a junkyard ls 4.8 and 4l60e trans with the wiring harness and ecu for about the price of that holley one.Have the anti theft system turned off and youll have more power then that stroker kit makes plus being a ls with bolt ons you can push 500hp or throw on a blower and see 800hp.
It is plug & play with a couple transmissions. It is programmable for others. I will look into it further before purchasing.

I don't mind changing out or relocating sensors. I'm also planning on switching to coils, so no problems there.

A v8 swap is still tempting, but I'm set on keeping the l6.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

From their site Integrated electronic transmission control - Operates GM 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions, Ford AODE and 4R70W with more to come in the future,And last time i talked to them nothing mopar/jeep trans wise will work.