Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 inch lift Helpp

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Question 3 inch lift Helpp

A couple of months ago I put a 3 inch lift on my 92 cherokee limited. Just a couple of months ago my Parking Break light came on. Does anybody know why and how I can get it to go off. And when I first start up my jeep everything is fine, but about 30 seconds after I start it my check engine light comes on and my rpm's drop. Anybody have any idea?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

Originally Posted by OklahomaJeeper13
A couple of months ago I put a 3 inch lift on my 92 cherokee limited. Just a couple of months ago my Parking Break light came on. Does anybody know why and how I can get it to go off. And when I first start up my jeep everything is fine, but about 30 seconds after I start it my check engine light comes on and my rpm's drop. Anybody have any idea?
well first, did you adjust your park brake after you installed your lift?
more distance from axle to body shortens cables, could be dragging your brakes or holding your parking brake on just enough to keep the light on...
And idle issue sounds sensor related, check your IAC or TPS first
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

The first question, just try to check the position of parking brake cable. Who knows snagged. The second, check engine lights up it could very much cause. The most you can do first, unplug the regulator injector. Check that there is a thick white crust that stick? if so, clean them with anti-corrosion spray or with contact cleaner, then reinstall.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM

I appercite all the help, but I am a young pup and don't understand a lot of this stuff. Could you break it down a little. I understand the parking break, but the dropping RPM's still has my stumped.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Vacuum hoses can be another culprit of a low idle, did you mess with anything in the engine bay lately to knock loose one of the hoses. When it's running, do you hear a hiss in the engine bay?

as for the brakes, make sure the e-brake cables aren't snagged and that they are routed correctly. Was the rear lift a full spring pack? Meaning that you had to remove the leafs to put in new ones, and if so, you could have routed the e-brake cables the wrong way when re-installing the leafs?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 AM

I appercite all the help, but I am a young pup and don't understand a lot of this stuff. Could you break it down a little. I understand the parking break, but the dropping RPM's still has my stumped.
Yeah..., don't think so difficult. Look at engine bay and try to find the injector (see the pic). For 4.0L engines, there are 6 injectors located lined the side of the left engine. Each injector has a socket regulators (see the box-shaped object with red on top). Press the clip on the left and right side at the socket and then pull to remove it. On the inside there are 2 metal connector. Typically, these connectors are corroded with whitish color. Take a contact cleaner and spray to remove the rust and then reconnect the regulators.

Hopefully this can help overcome the problem of check engine lights.
Attached Thumbnails 3 inch lift Helpp-img00432-20110118-1836.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

ever check for codes for the cel
Old 01-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the pictures, they helped alot. I understand now and will take a look at them when i get the chance. The weird thing is that when I start it up everyhing is fine, but about 30 seconds into the Check engine light comes on and thats when the rpm goes down.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the pictures, they helped alot. I understand now and will take a look at them when i get the chance. The weird thing is that when I start it up everyhing is fine, but about 30 seconds into the Check engine light comes on and thats when the rpm goes down.
Yup, I grew convinced that the problem was due to a corroded socket injector.