XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

XJ Rust Repair/Bed-line Opinions?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question XJ Rust Repair/Bed-line Opinions?

Well guys, I finally got myself to do it. Pulled up the carpet all around the XJ and only my front passenger side is trashed. New floor panel going in soon.

My rocker panels are in even worse condition pretty much rotted away. I wanted to get opinions on what to do on a couple things...

I do light weekend wheeling and mainly my offroad adventures are camping. No rocks, nothing hardcore, and most of time I'm driving it to school/work and back..
1. Should I get some new OEM rocker panels or should I go the extra distance and have some armor sliders welded in instead?

2. Prepping before bed-lining the interior...should I remove the rubbery rectangle (heat shield?) patch in the trunk area before bed line, and should I also remove all the silver rectangle heat patches too? I'm guessing the bed line will act as a good enough heat isolator.

3. Best roll on bed liner kit? I'm thinking of coating the interior with Chassis Saver first. Or is that overkill?

I'm more a function over fashion guy with my Jeep, but I like everything done right the first time so I do not have to do it again...I already get to thank the PO for being lazy on patching things the right way.
Thanks for any opinons!
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"I'm guessing the bed line will act as a good enough heat isolator."

A bed lined interior is like riding around in a 900° dumpster.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"I'm guessing the bed line will act as a good enough heat isolator."

A bed lined interior is like riding around in a 900° dumpster.
I can attest to this--if you don't have any heat shielding. I just finished up my interior bediner (Monstaliner) a couple weekends ago. I've been riding carpetless for the past year, and the floor definitely gets very hot with the muffler under it!

Anywho, I've used Chassis Saver all over my jeep. It's great stuff. I also highly recommend Monstaliner.

I did not remove the big patch in the cargo area, because I deemed it to be too much of a PITA. I rolled the Monstaliner over it and so far, so good. you'll definitely want to remove all of the foil patches. Use a heat gun and putty knife for this, and I also used Goof-Off and acetone to remove residue.

Name:  IMG_3146_zps3bf72e7e.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3147_zps187530af.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  79.6 KB

Missed a fine line by the center console in this one. Getting fixed soon
Name:  IMG_3148_zps88ce9bb2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3115_zps335dae47.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  110.2 KB
Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Here's a shot of Chassis Saver that I painted all above the gas tank when I had it down to change the pump.

Name:  IMG_2784_zps9bce7754.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  75.9 KB

And floors

Name:  IMG_2555_zpsa07f92a8.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  107.7 KB
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I can attest to this--if you don't have any heat shielding. I just finished up my interior bediner (Monstaliner) a couple weekends ago. I've been riding carpetless for the past year, and the floor definitely gets very hot with the muffler under it!

Anywho, I've used Chassis Saver all over my jeep. It's great stuff. I also highly recommend Monstaliner.

I did not remove the big patch in the cargo area, because I deemed it to be too much of a PITA. I rolled the Monstaliner over it and so far, so good. you'll definitely want to remove all of the foil patches. Use a heat gun and putty knife for this, and I also used Goof-Off and acetone to remove residue.
Sweet, looks very clean. The Chassis Saver you use looks like a putty almost? Or it is just thick paint? If I were to do the whole interior in Chassis Saver would Monstaliner role on okay?

Hope mine can turn out as good as yours!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Thermo-Tec makes a great adhesive backed sheet of heat insulation that you can put above your catalytic converter and muffler to cut down on the heat, that way you don't have to worry bout leaving things on your floor and having them melt. Monstaliner is a great way to go, just make sure to prep really well, I wiped the entire floor down multiple times with Denatured Alcohol and then I roughed the floor up a bit with some scotchbrite pads.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wifin
Sweet, looks very clean. The Chassis Saver you use looks like a putty almost? Or it is just thick paint? If I were to do the whole interior in Chassis Saver would Monstaliner role on okay?

Hope mine can turn out as good as yours!

Thanks! It sure was a lot of work! LOL. The CS is a bit thick but it gets into every little nook and cranny. It's also very difficult to remove or even scuff up, which is what you need to do when applying Monstaliner over it. I don't think you need to scuff it at all if you apply the Monstaliner within 12 hours of CS application, or something like that.

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
Thermo-Tec makes a great adhesive backed sheet of heat insulation that you can put above your catalytic converter and muffler to cut down on the heat, that way you don't have to worry bout leaving things on your floor and having them melt. Monstaliner is a great way to go, just make sure to prep really well, I wiped the entire floor down multiple times with Denatured Alcohol and then I roughed the floor up a bit with some scotchbrite pads.
Nice, I might have to check that out. I worry about adhesives though on the underbody. And good tip with the prep--definitely the most important part!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Nice, I might have to check that out. I worry about adhesives though on the underbody. And good tip with the prep--definitely the most important part!
I was thinking the same thing with adhesives for that. The previous owner did a bs job and tried spraying rubberized undercoating under the passenger panel that he "tried" fixing. so now i got some melted coating to try and grind off woo.