Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Why are Wranglers so hot?

I live in a fashionable east-side suburb of Syracuse NY. There are enough doctors, lawyers, CEOs, and accountants in this town to make you gag! I live in a 100 year old farmhouse outside the village so you know where I stand.
I was talking to my local Jeep dealer the other day, and he tells me he sells more Wranglers than any other model! Why? I'm almost certain these will never go off-road! He says 'cause they're cheap, rugged, and cool! Can you stand it??? There is also a Mercedes dealership just down the street. I quess they are just Hummer types that want to be enviro correct! GAG!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

to each their own. i don't hate wranglers, i just don't want one. they do look unique compared to a regular suv. I guess people think that wranglers look more trail-ready. whether they are, or not is for them to find out.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by Tural
to each their own. i don't hate wranglers, i just don't want one. they do look unique compared to a regular suv. I guess people think that wranglers look more trail-ready. whether they are, or not is for them to find out.
Well said
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 AM

Year: 1995

Over here in the UK most people buy the Freelander,Discovery or Range Rover for showing off in but if they want to go off road they buy the Defender!

The WRANGLER is very rare over here but the PATRIOT is very popular.

I personally like all the Jeep range except for the Commander whichis called a Cherokee over here!!!
Attached Thumbnails Why are Wranglers so hot?-all_pv_l316_10my_ext_rhd_countryside_bridge_front3qtr-850x425.jpg   Why are Wranglers so hot?-283-blackclearcoat.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

See them all over down here. It's good, even if they buy a 2wd 4 door with no intention of taking off pavement. Keeps our brand strong and relevant, and years down the line when you can pickup a JK for a few hundred bucks, they'll be loads of them for parts & projects. Everything comes full circle.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee

Many people have in their mind's eye a Wrangler when somebody says Jeep.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

You can take the doors off and the top off and cruise around, my mom has one and its fun to drive in the summer.

Last edited by rweaver138; 11-20-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spunkmeyer
Many people have in their mind's eye a Wrangler when somebody says Jeep.
Yep i always got "i thought you were getting a "jeep jeep"". They look good and i would love one but they are way over priced and i see too many yuppies ill call them just buy them lift them on 35s chrome 20s and good to go. WHY? You know they will never see dirt even if its washed onto the pavement haha. It just drives me nuts. I mean i guess im jealous that I cant buy the new 4dr and do everything they can and actually use it but still it bugs me even if i know its only because im jealous haha. End rant.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Say what you wish about the new wranglers but they are capable. I wheeled with a guy who had a completely stock unlimited(09 i think) and that thing went places my Jeep couldnt dream of going yet. Ofcourse my XJ was stock but he was keeping up with another guy in an XJ that was on 33s.

I personally dont like wranglers all that much(they make very poor apocalypse vehicles. Zombies can climb right in. lol) but I dont doubt their capability to wipe the floor with a stock XJ right out of the box. They make great offroaders and they are actually pretty decent daily drivers.

My only complaint in the wrangler is the whimpy V6 engine. Jeep should have left the minivan engine in the minivans(patriot, commander, liberty, etc) and left the 4L in or went straight for the Hemi.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

That Defender has sexy written all over it. I'd love to have a 109 or 110 with modern electronics and drivetrane.

The 4 door JK's i despised when introduced, but with the release of Adventure Trailers AT Flippac i see them in a whole new light.

The older Wranglers i like as well, just need more room for gear when i head out because i'm old and have roughed it long enough! I'd love a custom built YJ with CJ nose stretched to LJ or Scrambler length with full hardtop. Yeah baby..
Old 11-20-2010, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

The JKs should have had a V8 option. You have trouble driving the 4dr with 4 people on the highway and maintaining speed, can just imagine trying to pull anything with them.
Even the 4.0 liter V6 would have been better.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

In my town when the college is open the Wranglers are every wear you look from teachers to students and every single one is bone stock.
Gotta say they are hot selling vehicles and I do think they are pretty cool looking.
But it's not my taste because of they limited cargo room and bouncy ride.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Say what you wish about the new wranglers but they are capable. I wheeled with a guy who had a completely stock unlimited(09 i think) and that thing went places my Jeep couldnt dream of going yet. Ofcourse my XJ was stock but he was keeping up with another guy in an XJ that was on 33s.

I personally dont like wranglers all that much(they make very poor apocalypse vehicles. Zombies can climb right in. lol) but I dont doubt their capability to wipe the floor with a stock XJ right out of the box. They make great offroaders and they are actually pretty decent daily drivers.

My only complaint in the wrangler is the whimpy V6 engine. Jeep should have left the minivan engine in the minivans(patriot, commander, liberty, etc) and left the 4L in or went straight for the Hemi.

I'm always thinking about the day when Zombies start eating people.... I know the XJ will be a great apocalypse vehicle (untill you run out of gas)
Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Ender
I know the XJ will be a great apocalypse vehicle (until you run out of gas)
Which will be sooner rather than later, given the MPG. Aim for the head!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 93
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by rweaver138
You can take the doors off and the top off and cruise around, my mom has one and its fun to drive in the summer.
I agree, Wranglers are very fun to drive. I had an 88 YJ, and driving around in it is comparable to driving a motorcycle in the sense of feeling free and open.

Quick Reply: Why are Wranglers so hot?