Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Where to start?

I'm getting closer to having Betty be more of a toy & less of a DD. Shes still 100% stock and over the next few months I'd like to slowly & cheaply start getting her off road worthy.

I plan on putting in some hood vents this weekend (Shes runs REAL hot, even with 2 fans) but I'm at a loss at what to do next. Theres so much I WANT to do.

So I ask - With limited funds what would you do in my position? I'm not looking so much at things to half ***, just some of the cheaper things to tinker with on her. Either mods or upgrades.

Like I said, this weekend I'm doing hood vents, next weekend I'm replacing the rear main seal.

I'll be putting her shocks & a lift on her come income taxes. I know I like a lot of flex but with a lift I have to watch it otherwise I (being under 5ft) won't be able to get in

So lay it on me!! (If my sig isn't updated I've a 91 XJ Limited)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i dont know if you plan to cut your fenders but you could do that and make them look good with little to no money. how big of a lift do you want?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 AM

I'd like a decent lift. Like I said I'm under 5ft (I'm 4'9) so anything too big & then I'll have to fab up a ladder lol

I've got a couple 55gal drums sitting around but my husband has "forbid" me to use them for anything on the XJ.

I don't have plans on any heavy rock crawling in her, just taking her on some trails & to the river. Any suggested lift height would be greatly considered. :-)
Old 09-06-2012, 05:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by TheGreatEscape
I'd like a decent lift. Like I said I'm under 5ft (I'm 4'9) so anything too big & then I'll have to fab up a ladder lol

I've got a couple 55gal drums sitting around but my husband has "forbid" me to use them for anything on the XJ.

I don't have plans on any heavy rock crawling in her, just taking her on some trails & to the river. Any suggested lift height would be greatly considered. :-)
If you're looking to get in it without assistance, i would say a 3in lift and 31 inch tires would be good
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Look further into that overheating problem, maybe its just that Arizona heat
Old 09-06-2012, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

yeah i would do a 3 inch lift and 31s then. maybe some front and rear lockers
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Power73
yeah i would do a 3 inch lift and 31s then. maybe some front and rear lockers
Yeah, but the OP said they werent trying to spend too much money, and i think its a DD, so i would just do an aussie(or preferred lunchbox) in the front. And leave it at that
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 AM

I don't mind spending a bit of $ just looking to do the cheaper things first. I plan on doing whatever lift I decide on with income taxes (so in about 5-6 months) but until then I'd like to tackle the cheaper "improvements" that y'all think 1) would work on getting her off road ready & 2) are functional or just plain kick ***. While I won't do EVERY thing thats suggested they do help me out. I look at all the mod & fabrication thread & feel like I could never stop.

This summer has been a ***** here in Arkansas.

And IDK what an aussie or a lunchbox is. Well, I know an aussie dog & a lunchbox you put lunch in but.... Yep, I sound pretty dumb. lol
Old 09-06-2012, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

I don't mind spending a bit of $ just looking to do the cheaper things first. I plan on doing whatever lift I decide on with income taxes (so in about 5-6 months) but until then I'd like to tackle the cheaper "improvements" that y'all think 1) would work on getting her off road ready & 2) are functional or just plain kick ***. While I won't do EVERY thing thats suggested they do help me out. I look at all the mod & fabrication thread & feel like I could never stop.

This summer has been a ***** here in Arkansas.

And IDK what an aussie or a lunchbox is. Well, I know an aussie dog & a lunchbox you put lunch in but.... Yep, I sound pretty dumb. lol
Hey, you've got to start somewhere. Thats why we're here, to help. Well your going for things that look cool and serve an acual purpose. You could get bumpers(with tow points) they can look sweet, and there's nothing worse than not having tow points when you're stuck. Lunchbox lockers are differential lockers, they help tremendously off road
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 AM

I've been checking out the home brew bumpers the last few days. I've never welded a day in my life so its time to start practicing!!

Any tips? I have a husband and a father in law that "know" how but I feel more comfortable getting advice here. Its nothing against them but.... Well, when I did my brakes my husband kept trying to tell me to take the axle bolt off and my FIL says I HAVE to without any doubt completely drop my tranny to do my rear main seal. .... Thanks to CF I knew/know they are both full of ****. lol CF has prevented a lot of mishaps from following others instructions.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 AM
CF Veteran

I've been checking out the home brew bumpers the last few days. I've never welded a day in my life so its time to start practicing!!

Any tips? I have a husband and a father in law that "know" how but I feel more comfortable getting advice here. Its nothing against them but.... Well, when I did my brakes my husband kept trying to tell me to take the axle bolt off and my FIL says I HAVE to without any doubt completely drop my tranny to do my rear main seal. .... Thanks to CF I knew/know they are both full of ****. lol CF has prevented a lot of mishaps from following others instructions.
I've never done the rear main seal, but i've heard it's a PITA, but as for the bumper, i bought a bumper from nates 4x4, shipping takes a bit, but its a very good bumper at a good price