XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Uh oh... I think I broke something

Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Uh oh... I think I broke something

So, when I bought it, there were a bucket full of issues. The vast majority have been massaged out. When I initially bought, I noticed an odd knock, while the engine was idling. It wasn't a loud steady knock, but more of a faint off beat knock (it would knock a few time... go away... then knock a couple of times ... go away... knock a few times ... go away... and so on). Over time, that "knock" seemed to have gone away. Yes, I know my flexplate is tapping, but this is a different issue.

Well, today, I guess I was having a bad day; had some road rage a few times. This morning, I needed to merge in to another lane, but apparently someone was trying to not let me in. I ended up flooring it and getting in front of the guy that was in front of him. Then, this afternoon, no one wanted to drive the speed limit and I was blocked in, so when I finally saw an opening, I floored it and squeezed out of the slow traffic. During this same trip, a few minutes later, I saw this import from behind flying in and out of traffic, so as he was coming up on me, I could tell he was going to try and swing up around and cut me off; once again, I floored it to keep him at bay.

Anyway, long story short, that random faint knock is back again (kinda' goes knock knock knock, then pause, then knock knock, then pause, then knock knock knock knock, then pause, then knock knock...). Did I screw something up? I know I shouldn't be getting on the throttle, the way that I did. I actually drove the Jeep for the last year, trying to avoid going over 2500rpms; just haven't had to much trust in the motor. Today, just wasn't my day. Oil pressure hasn't changed (it runs 40psi under load and 20 psi at idle... always has).
Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Why are you not fixing the loose flexplate bolts?

Maybe they've gotten looser?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

+1. You admit you know something's wrong that causes this noise, beat on your vehicle a bit, then ask for suggestions as to what the now louder noise is? That thing you know is wrong probably just got worse eh.

A garage here in town has a great slogan out front: "Worrying today won't help tomorrow's tow bill"
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by salad
+1. You admit you know something's wrong that causes this noise, beat on your vehicle a bit, then ask for suggestions as to what the now louder noise is? That thing you know is wrong probably just got worse eh.

A garage here in town has a great slogan out front: "Worrying today won't help tomorrow's tow bill"
You have such a way with words.....And, they're very true words.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM

The po welded the flexplate bolts in place. Not much i can do with that until total failure. Flexplate isnt going anywhere unless it shatters.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by salad

I didnt say the noise got louder. The flexplate still and has always knocked the same, since ive had it. When i can get time to figure out how to break the welds lose and reset the bolts, i will. I just have another noise, which sounds like a faint random knock.. only at idle, not under load.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by Gauge
The po welded the flexplate bolts in place. Not much i can do with that until total failure. Flexplate isnt going anywhere unless it shatters.
Wait... pics of said welded flex plate bolts or I don't believe you...