Turbo or Super?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Turbo or Super?

Can someone tell me where I can find a turbocharger or a supercharger for my 4.0L inline 6?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Look down in the Modified section

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/fe...er-kit-159922/
Old 05-21-2015, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Why? You're never gonna do it. Less than 1% of the people that ask about installing a turbo or supercharger on a 4.0 ever do it. I'm guessing you're under the age of 21.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Honestly a stroker is easier and cheaper and will net you about the same power or just a ill less
Old 05-21-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Why? You're never gonna do it. Less than 1% of the people that ask about installing a turbo or supercharger on a 4.0 ever do it. I'm guessing you're under the age of 21.
True, when you consider the cost is usually more than you pay for the XJ itself.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jedijeb
True, when you consider the cost is usually more than you pay for the XJ itself.
Could not have said it better myself.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...ents_c_10.html and http://jeepm62superchargerkit.blogspot.com/ and like everyone said you will not like the price.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 High Output

My XJ is inherited. I might be getting a second Cherokee that runs for parts so I may modify that motor for more power. Or I may put it on mine just for small power. I would like to know where I can get one because if I can find one decently priced I will get it.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by austin17
My XJ is inherited. I might be getting a second Cherokee that runs for parts so I may modify that motor for more power. Or I may put it on mine just for small power. I would like to know where I can get one because if I can find one decently priced I will get it.

If you consider $4k+ or better build an engine to handle the power a good one, then another $3k+ for the turbo/supercharger.......Then come all the extras to make it all work together. That's if your able to do all the work your self and a fabricator to do all of that required, just say'in. You don't just throw one of these on a stock engine and go it takes money, quite a bit of it for little gain.

A good stock 4.0 is a great little engine for an XJ!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-22-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Before you ask that question, you should ask yourself "do I know how a supercharger or a turbocharger works?"
Old 05-23-2015, 02:01 AM
CF Veteran

The two links i posted are for a supercharger kit and a diy turbo kit.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 AM

Default Y so much hate

You r u guys all hating on the guy if you just gonna tell him he's never gonna do it why even reply and you don't have to have 4k to turbo a jeep especially if it's pre 97 you can build a pretty reliable setup for just over a grand if you know how to weld and fab a little however you can't stoke a jeep for that kinda money. It really surprises me more people don't turbo for extra power since it has proven to make about the same power as a stoker not to mention the benefit of being able to thrash your motor as much as you want with a turbo cause if it blows you can pick another up from the junkyard for a few hundred bucks call a couple buddies to help swap it and a weekend later it's like nothing ever hapened. Now if you blow up your 4k stoker say good bye to your jeep for a while and hello to expensive freight charges shipping you motor around to be warrantied if they will even warranty it otherwise rebuild for another 4k or spend a few hundred bucks on a junkyard motor and be back to stock. Check this guy's build out http://www.mngaragegeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2268-1996-Jeep-Cherokee-A.K.A-Project-RX-79G_Ez-8?p=7963#post7963 specifically the turbo part he probably has no more than 800 bucks into it and he ran it for quite a while no problems. Let's try to stop being so narrow minded on here and instead of bashing right away and screaming stoker or nothing let's help people try to do this and point them in the right direction. Seriously most of the turbo xj posts I've checked out are full of bashing and people yelling stoker and it makes it difficult to aquire good info about how to do this and it's a very viable option to making good affordable power not to mention turbo jeeps sound mad like a mini cummins!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by yooperracing23
You r u guys all hating on the guy if you just gonna tell him he's never gonna do it why even reply and you don't have to have 4k to turbo a jeep especially if it's pre 97 you can build a pretty reliable setup for just over a grand if you know how to weld and fab a little however you can't stoke a jeep for that kinda money. It really surprises me more people don't turbo for extra power since it has proven to make about the same power as a stoker not to mention the benefit of being able to thrash your motor as much as you want with a turbo cause if it blows you can pick another up from the junkyard for a few hundred bucks call a couple buddies to help swap it and a weekend later it's like nothing ever hapened. Now if you blow up your 4k stoker say good bye to your jeep for a while and hello to expensive freight charges shipping you motor around to be warrantied if they will even warranty it otherwise rebuild for another 4k or spend a few hundred bucks on a junkyard motor and be back to stock. Check this guy's build out http://www.mngaragegeeks.com/forum/s...=7963#post7963 specifically the turbo part he probably has no more than 800 bucks into it and he ran it for quite a while no problems. Let's try to stop being so narrow minded on here and instead of bashing right away and screaming stoker or nothing let's help people try to do this and point them in the right direction. Seriously most of the turbo xj posts I've checked out are full of bashing and people yelling stoker and it makes it difficult to aquire good info about how to do this and it's a very viable option to making good affordable power not to mention turbo jeeps sound mad like a mini cummins!
Holy run on sentences Batman!

Last edited by Bustedback; 05-24-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I've been down all 3 of these roads.

Stroker- expensive, time consuming, labor intensive, requires other supporting parts, ? tuning
Turbo- can be expensive, no available kits, time and labor intensive, need fab and welding skills, ?tuning
Supercharger- great for low down power, perfect for the Jeeps, bolt on, removable, 1-2 days labor, kit available with everything included, comes pre-tuned, easiest, $2500 done, more power than stroker, safe and reliable

See my site for more info.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

I've seen to many flops offroad caused by just a bit to much throttle so I'd take the more predictable power that a supercharger or stroke provides in an offroad situation

Quick Reply: Turbo or Super?