Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Spydertrax stud replacement

So im pretty upset, I got my tires rebalanced and the retardeds cross threaded the nuts so the threads on my spydertrax studs are all messed up. Was just wondering if anyone can tell me if they are just standard studs I can just replace or what. Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

So basically I tryd calling some places to ask about studs and no one will help me because its not for a car.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

you can replace the studs. you will need 1/2-20unf thread stud. an arbor press would be handy but you could press out the original studs with a long socket and conventional vice. ditto for reinstall. now to get new stud check with a local auto speed shop or how about on line with summit racing, they have everything. consider you total cost of replacement studs, shipping, and if you have to employ some help of tech expertise, what do they charge. ARB is a very good brand of fastern if you consider new studs. Hopfully the previous tech experts doing the balance did not screw every stud? you could replace only those cross threaded. measure the original length of your STrax studs and get the new ones at least that long. I got a set of 4 1.25 Strax from Quadratech for $145 include shipping couple years ago. compare prices. Sucks about the morons, hope they compensated you, at least refund the price of balance. If at all possible align the new studs splines with the spacer rings original spline marks, you will only be able to exchange studs a few times before the holes get worn. Best of luck. Any more questions?? PS any chance of chasing the originals with a die to clean up the cross thread and continue to use? How many are pooched? If you can still get 100 ft lb of torque and they don't strip you could continue to use.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by peep
you can replace the studs. you will need 1/2-20unf thread stud. an arbor press would be handy but you could press out the original studs with a long socket and conventional vice. ditto for reinstall. now to get new stud check with a local auto speed shop or how about on line with summit racing, they have everything. consider you total cost of replacement studs, shipping, and if you have to employ some help of tech expertise, what do they charge. ARB is a very good brand of fastern if you consider new studs. Hopfully the previous tech experts doing the balance did not screw every stud? you could replace only those cross threaded. measure the original length of your STrax studs and get the new ones at least that long. I got a set of 4 1.25 Strax from Quadratech for $145 include shipping couple years ago. compare prices. Sucks about the morons, hope they compensated you, at least refund the price of balance. If at all possible align the new studs splines with the spacer rings original spline marks, you will only be able to exchange studs a few times before the holes get worn. Best of luck. Any more questions?? PS any chance of chasing the originals with a die to clean up the cross thread and continue to use? How many are pooched? If you can still get 100 ft lb of torque and they don't strip you could continue to use.
Thanks for the info man, only 2 are cross threaded, but 1 snapped when, and the other I think is still usable
Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

It is easy to replace studs in a stock axle. Knock them out with a hammer and then get them started in the hole and then use a lug nut on outside in and some washers to pull it in. I have done this several times for stripped threads. Next time, use some antisieze and this will not happen to you. This is also caused by torquing the lug nuts too much.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
It is easy to replace studs in a stock axle. Knock them out with a hammer and then get them started in the hole and then use a lug nut on outside in and some washers to pull it in. I have done this several times for stripped threads. Next time, use some antisieze and this will not happen to you. This is also caused by torquing the lug nuts too much.
Well I didn't do it, the place I got my tires balanced at, I got the stud out, but now I cant find any local places that sell the stud
Old 05-28-2011, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by jeepxj19
Well I didn't do it, the place I got my tires balanced at, I got the stud out, but now I cant find any local places that sell the stud
You can get good quality studs at NAPA stores. If you want a Spydertrax stud you will have to get them from them.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK)
Engine: 3.7l V6

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/...t-97000-1.html

or

http://www.autopartsexpress.com/sear...lookfor=610109

I just bought some from a local CARQUEST for 1.50 a piece because of basically the same problem but mine was from the PO...grrrr....

Last edited by En.Ki; 05-28-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

I found the part number for them its 610-183 im gonna try napa tomorrow
Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Both Carquest and Napa here in Ontario have provided me with quality parts and good delivery. Other parts suppliers have not had the quality up to standard.