Shocks....

Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Shocks....

Not exactly for an XJ, but since I have a mixture of Commanche and TJ shocks on my XJ whats the difference.

Pricey as heck for should be great for a flexible rig.

http://www.metalcloak.com/MetalCloak...hock-s/229.htm

I also wonder how those dual rate springs ride they sell and if they would work on an XJ.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l inline 6cyl

would be a sweet set up once installed. all that extra movement would come in handy.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Man those are awesome. Why does all the good stuff have to cost so much that only a millionaire can afford. Us everyday jeepers can't afford those. Why the heck do they need to cost that much per shock. There is no way in the world it cost anywere near that to make those. That is one hell of a mark up.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

A) its comanche
B) its cool to see companies think outside the box
Old 11-10-2011, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
Man those are awesome. Why does all the good stuff have to cost so much that only a millionaire can afford. Us everyday jeepers can't afford those. Why the heck do they need to cost that much per shock. There is no way in the world it cost anywere near that to make those. That is one hell of a mark up.
Supply and Demand
Whatever the market will bare.

The end user will always pay for R&D, Prototyping, Test and Evaluation, Marketing, Manufacturing, Packaging, etc, etc, etc.

4 Wheeling is not a cheap hoby, never has been, never will be.

Sure you can build a JY based rig on the cheap, but quality parts that are designed for a specific purpose will always be expensive.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
they have overhead for the shop, paying people to build them and most likely to pay for the machines that take a chunk of metal and turn it into something like that, then they have to make it worth their trouble by making something on top of that.

i guess i couldve just said overhead lol.
i also agree with frankz
Old 11-11-2011, 07:01 AM

Those are real pricey but the other stuff the offer seems to be a good deal and it's all made in the USA!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Supply and Demand
Whatever the market will bare.

The end user will always pay for R&D, Prototyping, Test and Evaluation, Marketing, Manufacturing, Packaging, etc, etc, etc.

4 Wheeling is not a cheap hoby, never has been, never will be.

Sure you can build a JY based rig on the cheap, but quality parts that are designed for a specific purpose will always be expensive.
Originally Posted by sandaddik2
they have overhead for the shop, paying people to build them and most likely to pay for the machines that take a chunk of metal and turn it into something like that, then they have to make it worth their trouble by making something on top of that.

i guess i couldve just said overhead lol.
i also agree with frankz

Say what y'all want. Its people who think like this is why Companys get away with overcharging. Until the consumer puts a stop to it and refuses to buy and spend that much for a product the Greed of company's will never stop. That's why the U.S. economy is in the S*** Hole that its in. Its all about GREED that's why the rich keep getting richer and the poor just keep getting poorer. They are probably making 2-3 Times the amount it cost to make just 1 Shock. There's a difference between trying to make money to keep your business running to make overhead. And just plane out Raping people.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

You really need to start your own company then. If you can come up with a way to build anything without incurring any costs then you'll be a millionare within a week.

Please take Ecomics 101.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

You really need to start your own company then. If you can come up with a way to build anything without incurring any costs then you'll be a millionare within a week.

Please take Ecomics 101.

Read what I poseted. I know companies have to make money to pay for costs and manufacturing and make overhead but there's a difference between making enough and a slight profit, and just flat out raping people. There's no need to charge 400 dollars per shock. That's just outrageous. Now im not saying its not a bad *** shock cause it definitely is... and im sure there's a little more into production cost over a regular shock. Now if ithe cost was more around the 200-250 Range that would be suitable. I bet you if they charged 200-250 Per shock they would still be making profit. Its not even about supply and demand anymore H*** just look at the Oil companies and you can see that plane as day.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but the bottom line is that the manufacturer can charge whatever they want and the market will decide if the price is to high. They have every right to charge whatever they want and you the consumer have every right to purchase or not purchase.

You don't have the right to bad mouth or defame a company simply because you don't like the price or have some perception of what is the proper way to run a business. The company has an obligation to it's employee's and share holders to be profitable.

Neither you or the government have any right to tell any company what they are allowed to earn.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but the bottom line is that the manufacturer can charge whatever they want and the market will decide if the price is to high. They have every right to charge whatever they want and you the consumer have every right to purchase or not purchase.

You don't have the right to bad mouth or defame a company simply because you don't like the price or have some perception of what is the proper way to run a business. The company has an obligation to it's employee's and share holders to be profitable.

Neither you or the government have any right to tell any company what they are allowed to earn.

I know Companys have the right to charge what ever they want. It is a free country and all. And im not bad mouthing anyone. Im just stating my opinion. And until the Consumer takes a stand and says NO im not paying that I will go somewere else with my hard earned cash or just do with out it. Company's Will Continue to overprice just to make a substantial Profit. I don't mind paying for a pruduct that someone took the ingenuity to produse as long as there not trying overcharge someone for that product. Look How The Government had to Bail out all the Banks, Insurance and Car Companies Because they don't know how to run a business. Now Who's gonna Bail out are Government. Sure as heck ain't gonna be these Big Corporations. Its when Company's see other Company's doing something just to make a huge profit they just want to fall in line and do the same thing and pull the rest of the U.S. down with them. The Government should have never Bailed them out they should have just let them fall right on there faces. Now im Not Bad Mouthing MetalCloak I know they make some great stuff and have to sell there pruducts at a reasonable enough price to make a profit. But I just don't agree with what they want to charge for that new line of shocks. When will Greed Stop.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 11-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

Arrogant close minded people who know everything about everything. :shakes head:
Like Frank said open your own business and you'll understand.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

These shocks are pointed at a limited custom market.
They know that they are not going to sell them to the average XJ/YJ/etc.
So only 1 in 100 is their market niche, and people are willing to pay for the
best.

Gabrial knows that over the life of the design, they will sell say 100,000 units of
a shock for an XJ, so they can forecast that they will turn a profit after say 10,000
unit sold so all the rest is pure profit on the rest of the 90,000 so that $29.99 price
is great. These folks know that they're not going to sell 100,000 units in 20 years
most likely and they have to make profit on each and everyone.

Let then charge what they want, as was said its supply and demand.
I ran a trucking company I use to hear crap like that all the time, WHY SO MUCH, because you want a truck and I have one, you could catch me in a good mood and
it might be $2.25 mile or catch me in a bad mood and it was going some place
we didn';t want to go it would be $5+ per mile.

Still its a cool design, want to see real pricey go buy some motorcycle custom shocks.
$700+ is not uncommon at all.