Sponsored by: DashLynx

RIP Flat Black XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 4.0L High Output
Default RIP Flat Black XJ

I was driving home from college to sell it (3 hour drive) and someone hit me and totaled it.

Driving down the highway, i'm in the passing lane, minivan in the middle lane, and a Camry on the on-ramp/merging lane.

The Camry somehow merged straight into the minivan, the minivan launched directly into me. I stood on the brakes while going into the grassy median...wheels locked up and I slid around a little bit. While this was happening, the minivan jumped towards the shoulder across all 3 lanes, then back across all 3 into the ditch/median. Rolled on it's passenger side, and then rocked back and forth and came down on the hood of my XJ.

I was able to drive it 80 miles home but my right front tire was all wobbles, due to the wheel being slightly bent. None of the damage is awful, but all of the following has dents, scuffs, scratches, etc:

passenger side - rear quarter, rear door, front door, fender, A-frame along the windshield, both fender flares, bent wheel, tire has shreds hanging off of it

everything else - hood, driver-side fender, front bumper, corner bumper caps, little plastic bumper caps in center of bumper, grille, headlight bezel, headlight, turn signal, piece where the Jeep emblem is, my radiator and radiator hose are now leaking, my alignment is all jacked up, steering rods may have taken some damage, I haven't looked into it too much.

Waiting to hear back from insurance, but i'm pretty sure it's totaled just because of how much would need to be replaced. Here's some pics

Before (also before my 20% tint was put on):

RIP Flat Black XJ-n4p76.jpg

After:

RIP Flat Black XJ-ntnrfh.jpg

RIP Flat Black XJ-zksiuh.jpg
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 h.o. with 703's and a KN&N drop in filter

Hope everyone is ok look at it this way now you dont have to sell it
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Runs

Dude that will all buff out! Now your ready for the woods and rocks. Dont have to worry about that first dent any more! Lift it higher and bash it!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Ya you really could probably fix most of that yourself with junkyard parts and a hammer haha. Might be something to consider if they give you the option to buy it back from them after they total it.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I'd keep it...parts or bush basher. Too bad, it looked pretty clean!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Even if he can "easily" fix it, it's the fact that his whole plan to sell it and have a nice last drive with it was ruined by an accident. That's just ironic but it's good to hear you're alright
Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

Thats easily fixable and maybe the accident was a sign your jeep doesnt want you to sell it
Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Thats easily fixable and maybe the accident was a sign your jeep doesnt want you to sell it
Haha this is what my dad said. If I can buy it back for $1,000 i'm gonna. My dad still wants it to use around town. It needs one new tire+wheel and an alignment. Cutting out the fenders is probably a good idea too. Other than that though, it's not bad. Trail Ready!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

That shouldn't be totaled, it's all cosmetic, If it is Buy it back and Build it with the $ you have left over !

I doubt you'll have to pay 1k to buy it back Insurance companys get bids from salvage places and what you buy it back for would be an Average of what they offer to pay. I was told if mine was totaled I would have had to pay $500

If you have receipts for everything you have done to your Jeep use them to increase the value to make it harder to total. I went through this this past week I was hit Thursday and I'm getting a $3100 check to Upgrade/ Repair my Jeep After I used the Receipts for my sliders, lift, wheels, headunit, brakes, headlights, and headlight harness I was able to increase my value an kept mine from being totaled !

I would go through your insurance an let them go after the other parties insurance You get your $ faster let them do their jobs your delectable will be reimbursed from the other company and your rates will not go up since you were not the at fault party.

Last edited by Tom95YJ; 04-14-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Well I already bought a new car, so I want them to total my cherokee. I'll get more money that way. I already filed the claim with the at-fault insurance, but I will be using receipts to back up my prices