Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New here, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New here, looking for advice

I stumbled across this forum last night while researching Jeep Cherokees. My F350 is beginning to show its age and I'm thinking of downsizing, the Cherokee is in the running.

After hearing, and reading, about the older I6 engine I'm considering going older if I can find the right deal out there.

My question is: in looking at models for sale between 1996 & 2001, I'm seeing the XJ model, as well as the Grand Cherokee with the newer body style. I really don't care much for the mid 2K's with the rounded over headlights. Other than the body style & interior, is there any MECHANICAL difference between the two? I'm assuming they would both have the same engine, transmission and frame, with just different bodies? or am I wrong?

What should I look for and avoid in my search?

Major differences between the XJ and the Grand Cherokee?

Looking for: a daily driver. I tow a 14ft aluminum bass boat from time to time, and I have a kayak which I can throw on the roof I'm sure. I'm in the northeast so I'll probably have to drive south to find one that isn't rotted out, like my '02 F350 is getting to be after 235K and a lot of plowing n such. I have seen a few out there with under 100K miles for decent prices.

TIA for any input.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by tommyh
I stumbled across this forum last night while researching Jeep Cherokees. My F350 is beginning to show its age and I'm thinking of downsizing, the Cherokee is in the running.

After hearing, and reading, about the older I6 engine I'm considering going older if I can find the right deal out there.

My question is: in looking at models for sale between 1996 & 2001, I'm seeing the XJ model, as well as the Grand Cherokee with the newer body style. I really don't care much for the mid 2K's with the rounded over headlights. Other than the body style & interior, is there any MECHANICAL difference between the two? I'm assuming they would both have the same engine, transmission and frame, with just different bodies? or am I wrong?

What should I look for and avoid in my search?

Major differences between the XJ and the Grand Cherokee?

Looking for: a daily driver. I tow a 14ft aluminum bass boat from time to time, and I have a kayak which I can throw on the roof I'm sure. I'm in the northeast so I'll probably have to drive south to find one that isn't rotted out, like my '02 F350 is getting to be after 235K and a lot of plowing n such. I have seen a few out there with under 100K miles for decent prices.

TIA for any input.

They are completely different vehicles.

The ZJ (93-98) Grand Cherokees are fairly similar (but not identical) to the XJ "Regular" Cherokees frame wise, the WJ (99-04) Grand Cherokees have a significantly different re-engineered frame.

XJ Cherokees have a better transmission than Grand Cherokees (with the exception of some early 93s which have the same trans). The XJ has the Aisin-Warner AW4 automatic which is nearly identical to the Aisin A340E used in the Toyota 4-Runner, Tacoma, and T100. The XJ was also available with a 5-speed manual.

The Grand Cherokees' were available with V8s as well as the 4.0L I6, The XJ Cherokee was also available with a 2.5L I4 but these are severely underpowered and relatively rare.

Grand Cherokees were marketed as an "upscale" vehicle so they have many more "luxury" features, but these lead to more electrical problems.

It is best to avoid 2000-2001 models with the 4.0L I6 in either due to the 0331 head which is known to crack if overheated (it should be ok if it was maintained and never overheated but you never know this with a used vehicle).

For towing both XJ Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are rated to tow 5000 lbs. (with a transmission cooler of course).

Rust is the biggest thing to look for in 91-99 XJs aside from the "Regular" used car stuff (Fluid level/condition, belts, hoses, suspension components, weird noises, leaks, etc.). For 00-01s also look out for signs of a cracked head or poorly maintained cooling system.

It is possible to find one in the Northeast that isn't rotted out (especially if it was undercoated and the salt was washed off after winter), though it is more difficult than ones from the south which are generally pristine underneath.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

One of the main suspension-type differences is that XJs have rear leaf springs whereas the Grand Cherokees have coils all the way around.

In addition to more creature comforts (my XJ doesn't even have an armrest!), an upside to the Grand Cherokee is that you can get up to a 2004 version that still has the 4.0L, whereas the newest XJ with that would be a 2001. I'm given to understanding that the cracked head issue was fixed in 2001, but that none of those engines made it into the XJ (the WJ and TJ did get them).

Some of the really early XJs -- the 1984-1986, I think -- had GM's 2.8L V6. I believe that the engine bay those years is too short to swap in a 4.0L... though I think the odds of many of these still being alive is pretty slim (unless someone was masochistic enough to try swapping in a GM 3.1L or something).

Anyway.

I found my XJ in New Jersey, the heart of the rust belt, and it only had minor rot underneath (the passenger side back seat, over the catalytic converter, was rusted out -- which is apparently not uncommon)... and mine had been beat on prior to my owning it. So it is entirely possible to find them in the Northeast.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

The XJ and ZJ (93-98 Grand Cherokee) are great on and off of the road right out of the box. The ZJ is a little more roomy and has a quieter ride with less wind noise than the XJ. There is a lot more aftermarket support for the XJ for things like bumpers and stuff like that. both share a few things, like front suspension and engines, but they are totally different otherwise. I've found it is easier to find a clean unmolested Grand Cherokee than it is to find a clean XJ at a fair price. The XJs out there have been used off road a lot more than the Grand Cherokees. Avoid the 84-86 XJ because of the boat anchor V6. The 2000-01 XJ has the low pinion D30 front axle, all ZJs and WJs had the low pinion front axle. The XJ, depending on the year, could have a D44, D35 (not a strong axle), or the Chrysler 8.25. The ZJ had the D35 or the D44a (not as good as it sounds). If you're looking for gas mileage, don't look into a Jeep. It will be better than your F350, but it's no gas sipper.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

OP , you mentioned frames. These particular jeeps have no frames. Both the XJ, and ZJ are unibodies. Like was said earlier, it's easier to find a clean ZJ than XJ, but the XJ has a few advantages (potential for a better rear, more aftermarket support, and rear leaves.). Also, the 4.0 is a good motor, and if you drive like a granny, you'll get good gas milage. It's not uncommon for a maintained 4.0 to last upwards of 300k. So if I were you, I'd shoot for a 96-99 Cherokee with a 4.0, 8.25 rear, and your choice of either ax-15 or aw4 (both are good tranny's)

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by XJNVA
OP , you mentioned frames. These particular jeeps have no frames. Both the XJ, and ZJ are unibodies.

Yes, although it is sort of a cross between a unibody and a ladder frame. Jeep/AMC referred to it as a "Uniframe". It has full-length rails like a ladder-frame vehicle, but they are thinner than a traditional ladder frame, are welded to the floor and, the body provides additional support. It is stronger than the traditional unibodies in most cars, though not as strong as a true ladder frame, it comes pretty close at a significant weight savings.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by dmill89

Yes, although it is sort of a cross between a unibody and a ladder frame. Jeep/AMC referred to it as a "Uniframe". It has full-length rails like a ladder-frame vehicle, but they are thinner than a traditional ladder frame, are welded to the floor and, the body provides additional support. It is stronger than the traditional unibodies in most cars, though not as strong as a true ladder frame, it comes pretty close at a significant weight savings.
It also offers greater ground clearance.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies and good information.

I have read about the 0331 heads cracking, but also the opinion that they can be easily replaced if necessary.

How can I tell what rear end they have? Visual cue, or is there a specific number in the vin that would tell me?

6cyl, 4wd, "gas sippers" simply do not exist. I already know this. Even new, smaller vehicles, be it SUV or Tacoma etc. are stated at 14 - 20 ish.

I actually found 3 XJ's at a local dealer last night. All Y2k's, between 115 and 124K miles, description says "rust free" on all of them. Maybe he brought them up from the south. Who knows, but I'll probably stop and drive one just to see if I like it or not.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by tommyh
Thanks for all the replies and good information.

I have read about the 0331 heads cracking, but also the opinion that they can be easily replaced if necessary.

How can I tell what rear end they have? Visual cue, or is there a specific number in the vin that would tell me?

6cyl, 4wd, "gas sippers" simply do not exist. I already know this. Even new, smaller vehicles, be it SUV or Tacoma etc. are stated at 14 - 20 ish.

I actually found 3 XJ's at a local dealer last night. All Y2k's, between 115 and 124K miles, description says "rust free" on all of them. Maybe he brought them up from the south. Who knows, but I'll probably stop and drive one just to see if I like it or not.

Thanks again.
If the XJ has ABS brakes, it will have a Dana 35 rear end. The cover is very round and elongated. There should be a tag on the diff cover if you get down and look at it as well. The Chrysler 8.25 has a more noticeable "lip" on the bottom diff housing pointing downward.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Here's a visual identification: