Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

AX15 to Aw4 swap

Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Cherospeed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingwod,NJ
Posts: 241
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AX15 to Aw4 swap

Hello all,
So im entertaining the idea of the swap mostly because i wheeled my buddy's auto and it was the first time i ever drove an auto xj...so between liking it more and my knee on it way out i figured id start gathering the parts....all the research i did either turned up the swap for wranglers or pre 97 .. mine is a 99 and i know the major parts and how to do most of it but i was looking to see if anyone had any advice or if there was any parts on my list im missing.
AW4
crossmember
torque converter/flexplate if not with trans
shifter/bezel/
shifter cables
tcu
Wiring harness?( when i had my motor and trans out last i dont recall there being a plug to disconnect that harness so do i need a full engine/trans harness ?)
also i read something about the shafts on the TC being different but once again nothing about 97-01


thanks for any help guys
Cherospeed99 is offline  
Old 10-01-2015, 06:25 AM
  #2  
HUH? WHAT?
 
XJwonders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: west chester, pa
Posts: 19,100
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99 View Post
Hello all, So im entertaining the idea of the swap mostly because i wheeled my buddy's auto and it was the first time i ever drove an auto xj...so between liking it more and my knee on it way out i figured id start gathering the parts....all the research i did either turned up the swap for wranglers or pre 97 .. mine is a 99 and i know the major parts and how to do most of it but i was looking to see if anyone had any advice or if there was any parts on my list im missing. AW4 crossmember torque converter/flexplate if not with trans shifter/bezel/ shifter cables tcu Wiring harness?( when i had my motor and trans out last i dont recall there being a plug to disconnect that harness so do i need a full engine/trans harness ?) also i read something about the shafts on the TC being different but once again nothing about 97-01 thanks for any help guys
yes driveshafts are different lengths, mainly because the AW4 is few inches longer than the ax15.

I also am not sure about full engine/trans harness. But you are spot on everything else
XJwonders is offline  
Old 10-01-2015, 02:24 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Cherospeed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingwod,NJ
Posts: 241
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Luckily I have a cv shaft that I picked up when I did the sye that was too long so I'll have that...thanks! I might just have to get my buddy's auto on the lift and see what's going on unless someone else knows
Cherospeed99 is offline  
Old 10-02-2015, 07:07 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
dans98xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vernon NJ
Posts: 616
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Too bad I don't have time I would give you my AW4 and swap in your 5 Speed. I would love to have a stick in my XJ.
dans98xj is offline  
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 PM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
Big David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Murrayville,Ga.
Posts: 2,635
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Don't forget to remove the pilot bearing from the crank.
Big David is offline  
Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Cherospeed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingwod,NJ
Posts: 241
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

That would be ideal ....it is fun with a 5 speed just not when you have a tricky hillclimb with ruts haha. And yes I know about the pilot bearing thanks... It s not getting done for another few months while I gather parts and a plan... And clean the garage from the last project
Cherospeed99 is offline  
Old 10-03-2015, 01:06 PM
  #7  
CF Veteran
 
Fred/N0AZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monett, MO.
Posts: 7,554
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

I would shop for a wrecked 99 XJ with an AW4 in it and have everything you will need plus extra parts if needed.
Fred/N0AZZ is offline  
Old 10-07-2015, 10:00 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Cherospeed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingwod,NJ
Posts: 241
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ View Post
I would shop for a wrecked 99 XJ with an AW4 in it and have everything you will need plus extra parts if needed.
That's what I'm trying to do...Only problem is cherokees really started taking off again in the last year by me so everyone thinks they are sitting on a gold mine.
Cherospeed99 is offline  
Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 PM
  #9  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 444
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99 View Post
Hello all,
So im entertaining the idea of the swap mostly because i wheeled my buddy's auto and it was the first time i ever drove an auto xj...so between liking it more and my knee on it way out i figured id start gathering the parts....all the research i did either turned up the swap for wranglers or pre 97 .. mine is a 99 and i know the major parts and how to do most of it but i was looking to see if anyone had any advice or if there was any parts on my list im missing.
AW4
crossmember
torque converter/flexplate if not with trans
shifter/bezel/
shifter cables
tcu
Wiring harness?( when i had my motor and trans out last i dont recall there being a plug to disconnect that harness so do i need a full engine/trans harness ?)
also i read something about the shafts on the TC being different but once again nothing about 97-01


thanks for any help guys
You are going to have to regear or swap axles. The 3.07 gearing won't cut it with the aw4.

Also check to see if your radiator has the transmission cooler and consider adding and extra.
sreeb is offline  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Cherospeed99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingwod,NJ
Posts: 241
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by sreeb View Post

You are going to have to regear or swap axles. The 3.07 gearing won't cut it with the aw4.

Also check to see if your radiator has the transmission cooler and consider adding and extra.
Swapped in 3.55s last year so that's not an issue and I replaced the rad 2 years ago and plugged the cooler lines to keep crap out but I'll probably run a bigger aux cooler instead
Cherospeed99 is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 06:10 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
Hunter Styres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Yacolt, WA
Posts: 34
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Cherospeed99 View Post
Hello all,
So im entertaining the idea of the swap mostly because i wheeled my buddy's auto and it was the first time i ever drove an auto xj...so between liking it more and my knee on it way out i figured id start gathering the parts....all the research i did either turned up the swap for wranglers or pre 97 .. mine is a 99 and i know the major parts and how to do most of it but i was looking to see if anyone had any advice or if there was any parts on my list im missing.
AW4
crossmember
torque converter/flexplate if not with trans
shifter/bezel/
shifter cables
tcu
Wiring harness?( when i had my motor and trans out last i dont recall there being a plug to disconnect that harness so do i need a full engine/trans harness ?)
also i read something about the shafts on the TC being different but once again nothing about 97-01


thanks for any help guys
how'd this go I want to switch mine to an auto but mine is a 96
Hunter Styres is offline  
Old 04-29-2018, 10:14 PM
  #12  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 4
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default

Originally Posted by Big David View Post
Don't forget to remove the pilot bearing from the crank.
I know the name of that tune! Motor in the Jeep...SOB won't quite pull tight to tranny...WTH...bigger hammer ,, new French vocabulary... grunting and sweating! Just remembered the motor came out of a manual XJ! Pry engine and tranny apart just enough to reach pilot bearing, RIP it out with pry bar... motor and tranny slide together like two hot minks in the forest! Mission accomplished... <wiping sweat off forehead as I grab a cold one>
Dale Johnson is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 PM
  #13  
Member
 
IStoleIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 223
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci
Default

Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
I know the name of that tune! Motor in the Jeep...SOB won't quite pull tight to tranny...WTH...bigger hammer ,, new French vocabulary... grunting and sweating! Just remembered the motor came out of a manual XJ! Pry engine and tranny apart just enough to reach pilot bearing, RIP it out with pry bar... motor and tranny slide together like two hot minks in the forest! Mission accomplished... <wiping sweat off forehead as I grab a cold one>
AMAZING
IStoleIt is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
  #14  
Member
 
IStoleIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 223
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci
Default

Originally Posted by Hunter Styres View Post

how'd this go I want to switch mine to an auto but mine is a 96
First, Good job bringing back a dead thread.

Second, IDK how this went for him.

Third, Youre in the best position because many people are on the lookout for a 5-speed swap. want to get rid of their auto. Find someone looking for the manual and swap them for their AUTO. All of the necessary parts are available on the other guys rig.
IStoleIt is offline  
Old 05-11-2018, 11:57 AM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Model: Cherokee
Default How are your shift points?

I just got my AW4 buttoned up and the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 bog down between shifts. Just replaced my NSS, cleaned my IAC. Any thoughts on correcting this? Also I adjusted my TV cable as directed online.

1998 XJ Sport 4-dr 4x4
2000 AW4 and TCU

Last edited by ggrodregez; 05-11-2018 at 12:03 PM.
ggrodregez is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AX15 to Aw4 swap


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: