Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need some advice

Ok so ive always love the wrangler tj but they are quite noticeably more around me in florida and the xj is a much cheaper option to get into for jeeps so i wanna know which is cheaper to own insure for a 17 year old boy maintain and modify what are weak points or both and strong points of both
Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Guy

Welcome to the forum..

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: I6

Welcome to the forum. Both are great Jeeps, but be advised your asking this question to Cherokee lovers.. haha..

I have personally owned both (2004 Wrangler ****** Edition I bought new and had for 8 years, 96 XJ, and 97 ZJ now)

I LOVED my Wrangler but now that I have had a XJ/ZJ I do not think I will ever buy a TJ again (maybe an old CJ at some point) The Wrangler was nice because it was newer and had less problems as I bought it when I was 18 and out of boot camp. I never had to worry about stuff breaking. This is only because it was newer though, NOT because it was a Wrangler.

Biggest issues in my opinion-

Wrangler- Doors and top off (best part) Zero room or storage though.
Cherokee- STORAGE and SPACE!! I love camping and having people with me. I can take everything I need and people now in the Cherokee. Not the same in a TJ. Could maybe take one person and the rest of the space packed with crap.

You can get the same engines and drivetrain in a TJ/YJ or XJ pretty much, so really it is personal preference as far as body style.

As far as cost, both are about the same to modify, as long as they are older. The newer you get, the more it costs pretty much.

Just my opinion, XJ is a better financial option. My insurance was half on my XJ as opposed to my TJ BTW.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Welcome to the forum...
All I can say is, the short wheelbase wranglers have a rough bouncy ride, especially offroad.
thats something new i havent heard actually i knew they were easier to roll than the cherokees
Old 04-17-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mwilliams0311
Welcome to the forum. Both are great Jeeps, but be advised your asking this question to Cherokee lovers.. haha..

I have personally owned both (2004 Wrangler ****** Edition I bought new and had for 8 years, 96 XJ, and 97 ZJ now)

I LOVED my Wrangler but now that I have had a XJ/ZJ I do not think I will ever buy a TJ again (maybe an old CJ at some point) The Wrangler was nice because it was newer and had less problems as I bought it when I was 18 and out of boot camp. I never had to worry about stuff breaking. This is only because it was newer though, NOT because it was a Wrangler.

Biggest issues in my opinion-

Wrangler- Doors and top off (best part) Zero room or storage though.
Cherokee- STORAGE and SPACE!! I love camping and having people with me. I can take everything I need and people now in the Cherokee. Not the same in a TJ. Could maybe take one person and the rest of the space packed with crap.

You can get the same engines and drivetrain in a TJ/YJ or XJ pretty much, so really it is personal preference as far as body style.

As far as cost, both are about the same to modify, as long as they are older. The newer you get, the more it costs pretty much.

Just my opinion, XJ is a better financial option. My insurance was half on my XJ as opposed to my TJ BTW.
yea insurance and cost to purchase vehicle play a large portion of making decision especially since i plan on joining the airforce in the next year so itll be mildy modified driven around for wheeling with friends for my senior year then probably parked for a bit till i know where ill be stationed and when im out of basic
Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DAcherocar
yea insurance and cost to purchase vehicle play a large portion of making decision especially since i plan on joining the airforce in the next year so itll be mildy modified driven around for wheeling with friends for my senior year then probably parked for a bit till i know where ill be stationed and when im out of basic
Congrats on the decision and thank you for your decision to serve!! It is a big one! I spent 6 years in the Marines after High School. Best and worst times of your life.. haha..

Anyway, A nice modified Cherokee (XJ/ZJ) I think would be your best bet brother. Just my humble opinion. FYI, you can get the V8 in a ZJ where as XJ/TJ will only get you the six if that matters to you at all. Again, all equally pricey when it comes to modifying.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Congrats on the decision and thank you for your decision to serve!! It is a big one! I spent 6 years in the Marines after High School. Best and worst times of your life.. haha..

Anyway, A nice modified Cherokee (XJ/ZJ) I think would be your best bet brother. Just my humble opinion. FYI, you can get the V8 in a ZJ where as XJ/TJ will only get you the six if that matters to you at all. Again, all equally pricey when it comes to modifying.
i like the zj but i love the xj haha maybe a swap in the far off future but the 6 would be good enough its gonna be my main dd next to my 01 camry with a good little 4cyl but doesnt the v8 get much worse mpg than the 4.0 i havent researched much into it
Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 PM

also dumb question is it possible to change my name on here not sure how im feeling about it now
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 PM

i like the zj but i love the xj haha maybe a swap in the far off future but the 6 would be good enough its gonna be my main dd next to my 01 camry with a good little 4cyl but doesnt the v8 get much worse mpg than the 4.0 i havent researched much into it
The I6 4.0's are beasts. Take care of it and it will run forever. MPG is really going to depend on your tire size and gearing choice.

I think your stuck with your name unless you make a different profile..Not 100% sure though
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM

The I6 4.0's are beasts. Take care of it and it will run forever. MPG is really going to depend on your tire size and gearing choice.

I think your stuck with your name unless you make a different profile..Not 100% sure though
yea basically plan is 3-4.5 inches of lift 31's and some exterior mods and thats about it in this year and a half ill be really using it
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 PM

yea basically plan is 3-4.5 inches of lift 31's and some exterior mods and thats about it in this year and a half ill be really using it
Sounds like you have a plan!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Sounds like you have a plan!
yes sir also ive looked at cherokees alot and i found one in this gorgeous blue i found out its called patriot blue pearl now is that a hard to find color or have i not looked hard enough for that color
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 PM

yes sir also ive looked at cherokees alot and i found one in this gorgeous blue i found out its called patriot blue pearl now is that a hard to find color or have i not looked hard enough for that color
Depends on where you are. I have seen alot that color back in the mid west and very few here in CA. I like it though!!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Depends on where you are. I have seen alot that color back in the mid west and very few here in CA. I like it though!!
yea ive heard alot of mid westerners with the color seems unpopular here now to scrape up round $4500 haha then ill be into this life for the long haul