Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Locker setup

So while attempting to remove a lock right locker out of a parts jeep I got I began researching lockers to see how they are put together and work and so on (damn you google with your endless suggestions).
For the longest time I wanted a selectable (e-locker mostly) in the rear and an auto in the front, this way it would be the "cheapest" and affect my on road driving the least.

After my research I'm not so sure if an auto in the front is the best choice. What I'm looking for is something with virtually no difference in handling, noise, etc. while on road in 2wd, and a huge difference off road in 4wd over stock, (here's the kicker) while being relatively easy on the bank account. I'm not in the market for any lockers now and probably won't be for some time just looking for some input from people with real world experience.

Thank you for your input.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:41 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Do you daily drive your XJ? Snow? Terrain that you wheel? What axle do you have in the rear?
Old 09-02-2016, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by emptypockets
Do you daily drive your XJ? Snow? Terrain that you wheel? What axle do you have in the rear?
It is a daily, kind of, I have a vehicle provided by my work so if I'm not driving for work (which is almost never) I drive the jeep.
Mostly hill climbing and mud, not much snow around here unless you go way up in the hills.
Currently Dana 35, but I have a Dana 44 waiting to be installed when I get my 3" lift picked out.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
It is a daily, kind of, I have a vehicle provided by my work so if I'm not driving for work (which is almost never) I drive the jeep.
Mostly hill climbing and mud, not much snow around here unless you go way up in the hills.
Currently Dana 35, but I have a Dana 44 waiting to be installed when I get my 3" lift picked out.
Well, the cheapest option would be lunchbox lockers front and rear. Selectables are great if you run a lot of rock. A lunchbox in the rear isn't that noticeable on the street. There's a slight learning curve, but nothing earth shattering. I dd my XJ for years with zero issues on the street with a lunchbox in the rear axle. If you had a lot of snow I'd recommend a selectable up front for running on the road in 4wd. No matter what you do, wait till you get that D44 in!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by emptypockets
Well, the cheapest option would be lunchbox lockers front and rear. Selectables are great if you run a lot of rock. A lunchbox in the rear isn't that noticeable on the street. There's a slight learning curve, but nothing earth shattering. I dd my XJ for years with zero issues on the street with a lunchbox in the rear axle. If you had a lot of snow I'd recommend a selectable up front for running on the road in 4wd. No matter what you do, wait till you get that D44 in!
Most definitely waiting for the D44.