Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker/welded diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Locker/welded diff

I recently broke my locker for my rear end.
8.25 27 spline Spartan Locker(somehow was convinced to attempt a donut on pavement while at a social gathering)
I put in open spider gears the other day at work.
I drive this Jeep 200 miles every day to school, I'd like to have some dual tire action, not none of this one wheel BS. Is a welded diff really that bad for on-road use? I drive 90+ mph every day and don't want a catastrophic failure that results in my death or injury of me or anyone else. Anybody welded a rear diff and had anything terrible happen to them while driving?
I'm weighing the pro's and con's of just welding the darn thing to avoid buying another locker. Currently saving up for the 29 spline conversion and will be getting a detroit locker when I do so.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

My teacher says welds just break anyways. Picture the welds braking and the innereds of the pumpkin going boom lol! Limited slip is nice for when you go around turns etc. Other ill effects of welding would be tire wear on the rear end (that's why limited slip is good!) It's up to you buddy.

Are you trying to drag race to school???? I mean off road applications sure but our xj's aren't drag racers! Something to think about before you go and weld 'er up!

If I were you I'd look at swapping in an xJ Dana 44 or a 29 spline 8.25 both would be better than welding that up. Why waste your time doing a conversion? Go to the pick and pull and grab a whole new axle.

Last edited by CherokeeChick; 03-25-2016 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:10 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by 94XJ4point04x4
I recently broke my locker for my rear end.
8.25 27 spline Spartan Locker(somehow was convinced to attempt a donut on pavement while at a social gathering)
I put in open spider gears the other day at work.
I drive this Jeep 200 miles every day to school, I'd like to have some dual tire action, not none of this one wheel BS. Is a welded diff really that bad for on-road use? I drive 90+ mph every day and don't want a catastrophic failure that results in my death or injury of me or anyone else. Anybody welded a rear diff and had anything terrible happen to them while driving?
I'm weighing the pro's and con's of just welding the darn thing to avoid buying another locker. Currently saving up for the 29 spline conversion and will be getting a detroit locker when I do so.
First of all...stop doing asinine things at social gatherings...you got a bunch of yayhoos to "convince" you to do something juvenile...and now, who pays the price? YOU DO.

If you are using your jeep as a mainly commuter, do not weld the spiders...you'll hate it. You'll eat tires. If you want to play, you got to pay. Get another Spartan locker if you want the same driveability, welding the gears won't give you that. My suggestion is to leave it open, or get another lunchbox, or a selectable, and to stop beating your chest when the other gorillas in the habitat provoke you. LOL
Old 03-26-2016, 01:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

You'll waste the tires quick but I run a spool 75mph on the freeway no problem. Would never DD it because tires cost too much I just go trail and back. It sucks on the road but there's no issues with it. Rain, snow, whatever just drive careful. You shouldn't be breaking a spartan in the first place
Old 03-26-2016, 02:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No way i would daily drive something with a welded diff.I once drove my mustang a week daily it has a spool and 10.5 dot slicks that was a nightmare in the rain,Even on a dry road it liked to fish tail if you got on it on a turn.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:13 AM

Year: 60th Anniversary
Engine: 4.6

This post amazes me. Is this a serious question?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I would not drive a welded differential daily on road. I'm still not quite sure how you blew out your locker because mine gets used pretty good with no problems. Get another lunch box locker and roll with it. Or save swap In an 8.25 29 spline and you can lock it and swap on disc brakes before putting it in then just swap them out one day. That's the route I would take.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I DDed my Jeep with a welded 8.8 for 6 months but I only drove it 15 miles (25 minutes). I would do it again if needed but never the distance you describe. I could not tell a difference in the tread depth from front to rear.
It's fine until you pull into a gas station or parking lot. Then EVERYONE stares at you. I always try to creep thru in those situations just in case a LEO is sitting nearby. Don't want them to think I'm doing it on purpose.

Just remember welds do break & there is alot of strain on the carrier.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My teacher says welds just break anyways.
if its a proper weld the metal around the weld should break before the weld breaks..
Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by abodyjoe
if its a proper weld the metal around the weld should break before the weld breaks..

Problem being very few are as most really good welders would do it another way or the ones left just glob them up (Mini-Spools are cheap). In reality I have saw some very good welds explode on the line at the Drag Strip on launch.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by roninofako
First of all...stop doing asinine things at social gatherings...you got a bunch of yayhoos to "convince" you to do something juvenile...and now, who pays the price? YOU DO.

If you are using your jeep as a mainly commuter, do not weld the spiders...you'll hate it. You'll eat tires. If you want to play, you got to pay. Get another Spartan locker if you want the same driveability, welding the gears won't give you that. My suggestion is to leave it open, or get another lunchbox, or a selectable, and to stop beating your chest when the other gorillas in the habitat provoke you. LOL
This is oh so true. I drove my 72 Chevelle with a narrowed ford 9" with a full spool in it almost daily when living in California, and like has been said I would not recommend it for a daily driver especially for a 200mi commute. I drove 10mi in the Chevelle a day and while it was an awesome car to drive it absolutely sucked in the rain with that full spool and Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro(29x12.50x15) bias ply tires.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

JMHO, you don't have enough grey matter not to have catastrophic issues with a welded spool on the road.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

^lmao. Larry your in Lapeer? your not too far from me.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is nobody else curious as to why he's driving an XJ 90mph? Lol
Old 03-26-2016, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
Is nobody else curious as to why he's driving an XJ 90mph? Lol
same reason he's doing donuts on pavement, blowing up lockers and wanting to weld a differential for 200 miles of daily driving.

Quick Reply: Locker/welded diff