Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I got jeeped!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I got jeeped!!!

I am a new cherokee owner (1991. I had a wagoneer many years ago as a young man. To make a short story long.... This cherokee had warning lights not gauges and being a retired pilot I had to have gauges to look at warning lights were scary !.. With help and information gleaned from this forum I purchased a gauge cluster and sending units and installed it.

Everything worked great but it was running about 220-230 degrees on temp. The cherokee was in storage for a long time so I was thinking stuck thermostat. Changed the thermostat, still ran the same temps. So I take it to my local shop and its diagnosed as a bad radiator which I concured with by a visual inspection. I was wanting a dual core radiator so I had them put one in.

In my **** way of thought. I'm thinking, well if the radiator was plugged maybe the water pump was not getting full flow therefore not full lubrication. With the radiator off good time to change it. Changed it . With the water pump off, good time to change the clutch fan. Changed it!. Filled it up and hit the road. Didn't make any difference. Still ran hot !!

I won't keep you waiting !!! In reading some of the threads on here everyone said it was important to use OEM sending units not autozone. Yep! it was the OEM temp sender...Defective. No NAPA had one in town so I went to autozone got one of theirs. Put it in.... 195 degrees on the money. Had the shop put there diagnosis box on the jeep, temp and oil pressure matched gauges 195 and 52 lbs. PSI oil. So $800.00 later its running great. These were things I had planned on doing, just not so soon. You just never can tell. Should went and had the box put on first. Live and learn.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee

Haha, It always turn out like that! Gotta love it!