Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Default gauge cluster 96 to 97+ conversion

So I am doing the whole swap with the front clip and all and doors eventually and I was wondering if I could replace the gauge cluster with a 97+ is it plug and play or can it not be done.what are the details.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done, but plug and play, it probably isn't. I have a 97 cluster in my 90 xj dash, looks a little weird but I don't mind it. The only reason I have that cluster is because I did a whole wiring/ component swap. Ie 97 motor, fuel tank, doors, overhead console, engine accessories ext... The cluster was plug and play after I spliced every other dash component.
The doors were a pain in the rear, but worth it in the end. 97+ mirrors are much nicer than the breakaways. Good luck with your projects!
Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheroheep
It can be done, but plug and play, it probably isn't. I have a 97 cluster in my 90 xj dash, looks a little weird but I don't mind it. The only reason I have that cluster is because I did a whole wiring/ component swap. Ie 97 motor, fuel tank, doors, overhead console, engine accessories ext... The cluster was plug and play after I spliced every other dash component.
The doors were a pain in the rear, but worth it in the end. 97+ mirrors are much nicer than the breakaways. Good luck with your projects!

Yeah I may do the cluster down the road.for now I am just going to do front clip fenders,center console and doors. As for doors I would love a write up on how u did yours.but I have a later 96 xj right before they went to 97 so mine may be different.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Well the only major issue was the door striker pin. Earlier models had a single thick pin and later models had a loop style pin. I would recommend getting the loop strikers from the donor xj if you can. The strikers are also in a different locations on the B and C pillars. Drivers doors are much lower than the passengers. When I did mine I used the early pins and shaved them down to fit in the later model doors. The retaining nut will also need to be freed from its cage. I used a brass punch and a hammer to break the spot welds. Wasn't pretty but it worked. Then redrill the hole lower down, and screw in the pin. Adjust for alignment, you may need a rotary file to get the right alignment location. I'll get some pics and post them monday.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

Well the only major issue was the door striker pin. Earlier models had a single thick pin and later models had a loop style pin. I would recommend getting the loop strikers from the donor xj if you can. The strikers are also in a different locations on the B and C pillars. Drivers doors are much lower than the passengers. When I did mine I used the early pins and shaved them down to fit in the later model doors. The retaining nut will also need to be freed from its cage. I used a brass punch and a hammer to break the spot welds. Wasn't pretty but it worked. Then redrill the hole lower down, and screw in the pin. Adjust for alignment, you may need a rotary file to get the right alignment location. I'll get some pics and post them monday.
Damn well ill try to find a write up and go from that sounds pretty hard to do.im sure I can figure it out though
Old 07-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Banned

My other concern is I have power windows and all thar what do u do with the wires the come out the door in between
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Personally I would NOT swap to a post 97 cluster. There are alot more issues with 97 and later clusters than with the older ones.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I wouldn't do the dash swap because it's way too much work for nothing but problems and wasted money. Just buy a 97+ Cherokee.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I wouldn't do the dash swap because it's way too much work for nothing but problems and wasted money. Just buy a 97+ Cherokee.
I am after my 96 is done. I cant move on to another xj when this one isnt done.itll drive me crazy haha.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Personally I would NOT swap to a post 97 cluster. There are alot more issues with 97 and later clusters than with the older ones.

Yeah not going to just gonna get some other more accurate gauges and throw them somewhere on the dash
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM

Hey sorry about posting those pics, I've been incredibly busy lately. Just bought a house and have been moving stuff with all my free time. So soon I hope, not owning a computer doesn't help...