XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Explain lockers please

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain lockers please

Ok so I know the basics that lockers lock ur axle so the tires spin together. But can someone explain to me if there always on or if u can turn them on and off by electric or air ect and the costs?????
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Many of the cheap lockers simply replace your spider gears, these are called "auto" or "ratcheting" style lockers. They cogs ratchet to allow the tires to spin at different speed around corners, but when torque is applied (give it gas) the cogs will be forced together, spinning both tires. Auto lockers can be $280-350.

As for selectable lockers there is ARB and Yukon which use compressed air.
OX, which is cable actuated
Eaton which is electric actuated

Most of the selectable full case carriers are $600-$900

There is also the Detroit True-Trac, not quite a locker, but a very effective limited slip. These are around $500 I think.

There are also mini-spools and full spools, which essentially attach the two axle shafts permanently locking them.

Last edited by Dan91; 12-27-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 AM
AoA

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.2L bored out 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Dan91
Many of the cheap lockers simply replace your spider gears, these are called "auto" or "ratcheting" style lockers. They cogs ratchet to allow the tires to spin at different speed around corners, but when torque is applied (give it gas) the cogs will be forced together, spinning both tires. Auto lockers can be $280-350.

As for selectable lockers there is ARB and Yukon which use compressed air.
OX, which is cable actuated
Eaton which is electric actuated

Most of the selectable full case carriers are $600-$900

There is also the Detroit True-Trac, not quite a locker, but a very effective limited slip. These are around $500 I think.

There are also mini-spools and full spools, which essentially attach the two axle shafts permanently locking them.
X2 ^
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dan91
So for the auto or ratcheting lockers when going around corners you wouldn't want to give any gas or your rear tires will try spinning at the same time, is that right? Also if you have a front locker and your in two wheel drive will the front ones lock under torque or does it have to be in 4 wheel drive. Sorry if this is considered thread jacking, just looking to get a little knowledge of my own.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
So for the auto or ratcheting lockers when going around corners you wouldn't want to give any gas or your rear tires will try spinning at the same time, is that right? Also if you have a front locker and your in two wheel drive will the front ones lock under torque or does it have to be in 4 wheel drive. Sorry if this is considered thread jacking, just looking to get a little knowledge of my own.
No worries man, good to cover all areas in threads like this. It's true, auto lockers do tend to lock up and chirp tires if you gas it around corners, this can also cause your rear to break traction in snow/ice/slush. It's not that bad once you get used to it, it just requires a little more care than normal driving. With an auto locker in the front it should be pretty much unnoticed in 2wd. Only thing you might notice is the ratchet sound around corners.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
I have a detroit auto locker rear. you REALLY have to get on it around average turns to get the tires to chirp. its fairly unnoticeable and tame. a front lunchbox ratcheting locker you will never feel on the street in 2wd. except in a tight uturn