Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

B/U lite Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question B/U lite Switch

I have a '90 Cherokee w/ that Asien auto 4sp. Can anyone tell me where is the back up light switch. I spent most of the day back tracing the wires all away to the switch on the side of the trans. Juice thru it and back out to the plug, but where does it go from there. There has to be a switch or feed from some place. All the fuses are OK, relaies good. WQhat am I overlooking?? Also can some one tell me how that Power/Comfort button works?? Point me to a write up, couldn't find one on here but I know there is one.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

The power/comfort switch changes the way the torque converter locks up. As far as your switch, you said it was an Asien correct? I'm assuming that you mean the AW4 trans. In that case what your looking for is on the passenger side of the transmission. This is what your looking for in terms of a writeup https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cf...sh-how-182998/
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KC9UWZ
The power/comfort switch changes the way the torque converter locks up. As far as your switch, you said it was an Asien correct? I'm assuming that you mean the AW4 trans. In that case what your looking for is on the passenger side of the transmission. This is what your looking for in terms of a writeup https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cf...sh-how-182998/
Actually the Power/Comfort switch selects 2 different shifting programs inside the TCU.

HappyPappy, you will have no reverse lights if the "trans" fuse in the fusebox is blown.....
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

AW4 (Aisin Warner). The reverse lights are controlled by the NSS which KC9UWZ linked to. The NSS provides simple continuity to the reverse lights when reverse is engaged. When the lubricating grease in the NSS congeals (and it eventually does) it doesn't function properly. Symptoms include failure to start (no crank) in Park or Neutral and no reverse lights.

A simple test for the reverse lights is to disconnect the NSS from the harness (near the trans dipstick) and, on the harness side, use a paper clip to jumper pins A and E. If you're holding the plug with the retaining clip facing away from you, pin E is the upper left and pin A is the lower right. With these two pins connected and the key in the Run position your reverse lights should be on. If they are, it's time to follow the steps in that write-up and rehab your NSS. If they're not then your problem lies elsewhere. If I recall, there is a single black wire with a connector under the driver's side dash between the column and tunnel that occasionally comes unplugged, something to check if the jumper didn't work.

Last edited by F1Addict; 04-09-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Actually the Power/Comfort switch selects 2 different shifting programs inside the TCU.

HappyPappy, you will have no reverse lights if the "trans" fuse in the fusebox is blown.....
Thanks for correcting me Cruser,
Wasn't sure what all that switch did
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by KC9UWZ
Thanks for correcting me Cruser,
Wasn't sure what all that switch did
Here's what I do with those switches. FWIW, the torque converter does lock up sooner in the Comfort mode, along with other obnoxious habits.

Bypassing the Power/Comfort Switch on a Renix Jeep

Remove and unplug the switch. In the harness are 3 wires One has a stripe, one is tan, and the other black. Make a 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one end in the cavity for the tan wire and the other in the cavity for the striped wire and you'll be in permanent Power mode. Stuff the harness back in and reinstall the switch for looks.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like this is going to be FUN!!! Did clean up the switch, fuses are good, will check for that black wire. What your saying is there is no direct feed thru the switch, works on ground??