Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Advice on a new GC

Old 03-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice on a new GC

Hey guys,

Currently examining my options as to what 4x4 I should get, list of must haves are a big boot (Trunk? Lol!) moderate to good off road ability, plenty of equipment and the ability to sit on motorways with ease and comfort.
So far I've considered the Land cruiser (Prado), Discovery 4 and Subaru Forester, obviously the new Grand Cherokee is the reason I've landed here.

I don't plan on going too rough off road but certainly the ability to go off track is a distinct advantage for wild camping and getting up welsh mountains, I also work in construction so find myself driving on some nefarious terrain at work too.

Obviously the big seller in the UK is the LR4 but I understand this will be replaced soon and doesn't have the reliability, the Toyota looks a good option but the range is limited to say the least and to get the really good spec means out of my price range, lastly the Subaru is a great little car but is more geared for roads than tracks, has limited space and is a bit utilitarian inside.

So I'm off the try and find a GC to try out, preferably an "Overland" model as the spec on that looks amazing but tell me, are these things really as good and capable as people say? My current vehicle is a new Audi and the Germanic quality is awesome if not a little staid, can the GC really compete with its jap/euro rivals? My mind is totally open so any comments would be most welcome.

Sted in sunny (Not!) UK
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Hmm, well, I guess no answers tells a story too!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Things get kinda slow around here on the weekends. Give it some time. Meanwhile if you haven't already,try here also:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php
Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Get the Jeep. The Subaru is for vegan lesbians. The Toyota is for boring people that like to drive slow in the fast lane, but like a good value. The Discovery is for blokes that like a vehicle that loses value faster than it burns fuel.

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-24-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What about a land rover defender?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Take everything here with a grain of salt. You've wandered into a forum of guys who love OLD jeeps. The opinions you find here may be slightly biased towards serious off road capability.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 AM
Seasoned Member

And bustedback is right 100% right in the USA about rovers values, maybe not so where you call the trunk a boot and the hood a bonnet
Old 03-25-2014, 02:03 AM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

Land Rover's like to leak from the dome light.....
Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

the jeep will be the most capable off the lot.
from everything i've seen the quality of it on road and all the little doo dads they put in new vehicles today should adequate if you love your audi. i'm sure the rovers up there with them but as far as a utility vehicle the jeep wins this one.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 AM

Many thanks for the replies guys, I'm driving one this Friday so I'll see how it goes!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

What kind of Audi do you drive? My wife just got a new q7 over a grand Cherokee. The 3rd row seating was the deciding factor. As far as fit and finish (and being able to say you drive an Audi, I think that's what she wanted) the Audi wins. But for features and capability, I would say the jeep wins. I would prefer the grand Cherokee. Let us know what you think.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by JWheeler
What kind of Audi do you drive? My wife just got a new q7 over a grand Cherokee. The 3rd row seating was the deciding factor. As far as fit and finish (and being able to say you drive an Audi, I think that's what she wanted) the Audi wins. But for features and capability, I would say the jeep wins. I would prefer the grand Cherokee. Let us know what you think.
It's an A6 Avant 2.0 litre TDI S-Line with the tiptronic box, superb engine, averaging 42mpg and like you say the quality is top notch. That's the problem really, I've had 3 Audi's and really rate the German brands but their SUV's are just not built for anything more than a rough track now and then, I would really love something with a better spread of capabilities for camping and hiking trips as well as being a motorway cruiser, I just don't get that from the likes if the Q7 ( which is being replaced this year anyway) or the BMW X5.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sted

It's an A6 Avant 2.0 litre TDI S-Line with the tiptronic box, superb engine, averaging 42mpg and like you say the quality is top notch. That's the problem really, I've had 3 Audi's and really rate the German brands but their SUV's are just not built for anything more than a rough track now and then, I would really love something with a better spread of capabilities for camping and hiking trips as well as being a motorway cruiser, I just don't get that from the likes if the Q7 ( which is being replaced this year anyway) or the BMW X5.
I don't know what they go for on your side of the pond, but the Porsche cayenne actually has some pretty impressive off road capabilities along with the German build quality.