Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Is 8" of ground clearance enough?

Old 06-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96"
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Is 8" of ground clearance enough?

My question is, is eight inches enough for moderate trail driving?

I'm an inexperienced offroad driver, I just put new heavey duty shocks and springs, on my 96" XJ country. Also an add leaf in the back. I went from about 6.8 inches to eight inches from the differential to the ground. New tires will come soon, so maybe they will add some height.

not trying t climb rocks or anything yet, but there are some trails in my area that look like some 4x4 required fun.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Should be enough for light trails to medium depending on how well you chose lines. I have about 11' from the bottom of the diff and i drag mine on a lot of stuff doing some moderate to hard trails. But our trails are pretty tight so theres only one line to take good or bad usually. If you think yout going to hit it just easy into it a soft hit is better than a hard hit. The housing seem to beable to tak abuse its the internals and covers you shoudl worry about
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Differential to ground will only change with bigger tires. So lifting won't help that.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by joeschmoe13
My question is, is eight inches enough for moderate trail driving?

I'm an inexperienced offroad driver, I just put new heavey duty shocks and springs, on my 96" XJ country. Also an add leaf in the back. I went from about 6.8 inches to eight inches from the differential to the ground. New tires will come soon, so maybe they will add some height.

not trying t climb rocks or anything yet, but there are some trails in my area that look like some 4x4 required fun.
I'm kinda confused as to how your clearance went up on your differential if you haven't added bigger tires yet?? You counting wrong? Lol being as you are new, I'm going to say search lol search and read about your jeep, what is best to bring along, how to properly drive your jeep off road, etc.... Nothing worse than I kid coming on and complaining about something when a simple reading searching could have prevented it.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

You should be fine, just pick your lines carefully. I wheeled mine bone stock for quite a while.

I'm also curious how you think you gained anything without adding bigger tires though. Taller tires are the only way to gain ground clearance. 8" does sound about right for stock tires though, I've got around 11" of ground clearance on 33" tires.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:15 PM

Year: 96"

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
I'm kinda confused as to how your clearance went up on your differential if you haven't added bigger tires yet?? You counting wrong? Lol being as you are new, I'm going to say search lol search and read about your jeep, what is best to bring along, how to properly drive your jeep off road, etc.... Nothing worse than I kid coming on and complaining about something when a simple reading searching could have prevented it.

I forgot to mention I went from fifteen inch wheels to 17" and new road tires that I'm certain are bigger than the last ones. So my mistake was that I thought the lift added differential height... I'm a herpa derp I know this. I'm getting 31" mud tires So Hopefully I'll have a good bit more clearance. I don't have money for a skid plate or differential covers yet so I'll just be careful
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You are part right there is a point where bigger tires need a lift tho.Do you have a local jeep club or off road club?Most of them are guys just like us who will help you wheel safely as you can.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by joeschmoe13
I forgot to mention I went from fifteen inch wheels to 17" and new road tires that I'm certain are bigger than the last ones. So my mistake was that I thought the lift added differential height... I'm a herpa derp I know this. I'm getting 31" mud tires So Hopefully I'll have a good bit more clearance. I don't have money for a skid plate or differential covers yet so I'll just be careful

if you're in fayette, im not far away...