Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 1999 jeep cherokee S.E

looking at a 99 jeep Cherokee. The guy says its a S.E, but when looking at the pics it shows none of the S.E. stuff

it has power windows and locks, carpet floor, standard dash (not dummy dash)

what else do I look for, so far to me it looks like a sport, here is a link to it...let me know what you think

yes it does have the s.e. factory steel wheels, but those can be swapped out easy (which is what I think happened

but it has a tow package, looks to be original, I guess my question is

how do I tell if its a S.E or not? so far it looks like a normal cherokee

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/4519225617.html
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

If you've got a few days leeway (3-4 days) contact this link. Just fill out the required info and ask for a build sheet. The decor group will be on the list.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/EmailPage.html
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by EZEARL
If you've got a few days leeway (3-4 days) contact this link. Just fill out the required info and ask for a build sheet. The decor group will be on the list.

I do have a couple days, but until I get the vin im stuck

by looking at it, it sure looks like a sport or a just a standard xj?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Here's a pic of my SE if it helps. It's got carpeting w/floor pads and mats,tilt wheel,a/c,radio/cassette,rear speaker bar. More than what you'd expect on a base model. Maybe someone here will be able tell you exactly how to tell the decor group.

Name:  101_2197.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  140.3 KB
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Here's a pic of my SE if it helps. It's got carpeting w/floor pads and mats,tilt wheel,a/c,radio/cassette,rear speaker bar. More than what you'd expect on a base model. Maybe someone here will be able tell you exactly how to tell the decor group.

every s.e that ive come across has had a few big things
1. factory steel wheels like you have
2. rubber/vinyl floor
3. dummy dash instead of the standard

now I don't know what else there is on the SE package...

your jeep seems highly optioned for a se.....almost a sport trim
Old 06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

'99 Sports had body colored flares, grill, headlight bezels, license plate trim, and bumpers standard. The pics show all those things being black which is a big indicator of it being an SE in '99. The seats were the same in the SE and Sport. Also the lack of roof rails (they weren't standard equipment on SE's) says it's an SE. All the stuff that is making you think it's a Sport was optional equipment on the SE's.

You said it has a tow package. Is that because it has a hitch on it? Anyone can toss a hitch on a XJ but that doesn't mean it has a tow package. Factory tow kit in '99 included a trans cooler, class 3 hitch, and the wiring. Easiest way to find out if it truly has the factory tow package is to look for the trans cooler sitting on the front of the radiator (you should be able to see it through the passenger side of the grill if it's there).

Lastly, the above SE is a 96 or older so it's not really the best comparison to a '99 SE.

Last edited by no rdplz; 06-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by no rdplz
'99 Sports had body colored flares, grill, headlight bezels, license plate trim, and bumpers standard. The pics show all those things being black which is a big indicator of it being an SE in '99. The seats were the same in the SE and Sport. Also the lack of roof rails (they weren't standard equipment on SE's) says it's an SE. All the stuff that is making you think it's a Sport was optional equipment on the SE's.

You said it has a tow package. Is that because it has a hitch on it? Anyone can toss a hitch on a XJ but that doesn't mean it has a tow package. Factory tow kit in '99 included a trans cooler, class 3 hitch, and the wiring. Easiest way to find out if it truly has the factory tow package is to look for the trans cooler sitting on the front of the radiator (you should be able to see it through the passenger side of the grill if it's there).

Lastly, the above SE is a 96 or older so it's not really the best comparison to a '99 SE.

great info there....yea I was real interested but then he said no a/c or cruise....I can live without the ac....but I use cruise a lot...

Ill keep looking, but thank you for the great info! you guys are great, love this forum
Old 06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Matt,
It's a '96(Sept 96 build). I've known the PO before she even bought it. So I know she didn't order it. She shopped on the lot and this one had what she wanted. There were others that had things she didn't want. Seems they just equipped these SE's at random w/ random items and sent them out. Only thing I did replace was the "dummy" dash.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Once you get the vin, this site has a vin decoder, was pretty accurate on my 99 sport, which does have all the above mentioned thing except the tow package, but im pretty sure it has a trans cooler, ill have to check though. Another thing is, i've never personally seen a post 97 with dummy gauges, always figured Jeep realized the terrible decision before the transition

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 06-16-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleToxin505
Once you get the vin, this site has a vin decoder, was pretty accurate on my 99 sport, which does have all the above mentioned thing except the tow package, but im pretty sure it has a trans cooler, ill have to check though. Another thing is, i've never personally seen a post 97 with dummy gauges, always figured Jeep realized the terrible decision before the transition
97+ with dummies are rarer than 96- XJ's with 'em but they are out there. There's a 97 in the local JY with dummies actually.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0

My 98 has the dummy gauges on it and its a base model maunal locks, manual windows, no tilt, no sound bar, black flares, grille, bumpers and end caps, plain jane steel wheel, and prob basic radio.

The 99 sport I have is power windows,locks, sound bar, cd,tape radio, tilt, full gauges color matched grille, headlamp buckets and end caps, trans cooler, cruise, reading lights, keyless entry, limited slip rear end, headlamp timer. I think that's it but no tow hooks, skids, fogs, or overhead counsle and power seats or leather. I think the limiteds and maybe freedom editions has everything offered. Some sport may of too but were prob ordered only.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Kap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Done it, thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Lots of info. I got 3 pages from them.