Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Cargo box

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Cargo box

I've been toying around the idea of making a little tool box for various things like fluids, ropes, tools etc. So i started to look for ways to do it without taking up too much space since i still have the spare inside. So i decided to look at the little waste of space plastic panel that attempts to be a little cubby hole in the rear since it really doesnt do much. So i thought, what if i make a panel to replace that one that goes in farther to make more USEABLE space. So i took the panel off and found this

I attempted to make a cardboard model....but that failed. So i got some rough measurements and came up with these plans

Dont mind the bottom two drawings just yet. Those are the actual completion of the "box".

I decided to follow the contor of the wheel well just for a challenge and more room and end it just before the seatbelt support.

i started today on the actual fabrication aspect of it today in class. Got some 16 guage sheet, used a plasma cutter and cut everything out. one thing i didnt know was the length of the piece that contours the wheel well and i made it 12" just so i have enough.

one problem already is there is a space difference from about the seatbelt mech. and just before the taillight. the body kinda curves. So instead of having a solid brick, we have an aerodynamic brick!!! WOOHOO!! But that doesnt help me... the space difference is about 1/4" difference from the wheel well and tail light assembly. and some other things is my measurements are off. the top piece is too long and the left panel is too wide. So i'll have to fix that. More will come as i get to building it. but that will start next week. this weekend is opening season for Quail. More to follow.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Wagoneer

theres a dude on this site that has already made boxes that are made for the same spot your trying for...not sure the name maybe someone else can help you out but i want the same thing! so keep us up to date
Old 09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

ya i saw a couple. are you refering to the guy with the red box?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:57 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

I been thinking about doing something similar as well. I would like to keep a nice floor jack, and all my tools and crap back there, but be able to have it locked so it won't go anywhere should I get in a accident. Would also like to have a sub mounted back there.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

i made a tool box for the back of mine just found a plastic crate thats about a foot deep and secured it to the spare tire bracket using bunji cords, shur its a bit tacky but it was free and hold 2 gal of coolant extra oil my tool kit a flash light and more.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Wagoneer

Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

I want a box for the back of my jeep too but I am thinking something taller and thin to rest up against the back of the seat and stretches along the width of the cargo space.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

well at school last thursday i got farther then what i expected. i managed to get the frame aspect of ti done. so without further adoo.....*(drumroll)*

TADA!!!!

right now it almost fits in, i just have to grind the body down just a little and it should slid in perfect. now i just have to cut the back panel and figure out attachment points.

i was thinking about cutting out a strip to just bolt into those lips above and below the box? you guys think that would work?