Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Valve cover gasket

I have a 2000 grand Cherokee that had a bad leak in the valve cover gasket. I took off the valve cover to find a good gasket with a hardened brownish red paste that someone had used as a sealer that did not work. I cleaned everything up , removed a few broken off bolts, put the new looking valve cover gasket back on, tightened it all up, and it leaks as if there is no gasket at all. To me I almost think the grommets are not allowing the valve cover to sit down on the gasket. I have never had any trouble with any valve cover before like this, has anyone ever had any problems like this? Am I missing a piece? I did go to the parts store and looked at the picture of a new valve cover gasket and it looks the same. I would just try some gasket maker but I already had to do extensive work on this engine probably caused by a gasket maker clogging it up and someone trying to flush the engine with diesel fuel.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by munyanb
I have a 2000 grand Cherokee that had a bad leak in the valve cover gasket. I took off the valve cover to find a good gasket with a hardened brownish red paste that someone had used as a sealer that did not work. I cleaned everything up , removed a few broken off bolts, put the new looking valve cover gasket back on, tightened it all up, and it leaks as if there is no gasket at all. To me I almost think the grommets are not allowing the valve cover to sit down on the gasket. I have never had any trouble with any valve cover before like this, has anyone ever had any problems like this? Am I missing a piece? I did go to the parts store and looked at the picture of a new valve cover gasket and it looks the same. I would just try some gasket maker but I already had to do extensive work on this engine probably caused by a gasket maker clogging it up and someone trying to flush the engine with diesel fuel.
You put a new looking gasket on it ? Why not put a NEW one on it ? Is the valve cover warped ? You only need 7ft lbs torque on the bolts.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Seasoned Member

The one that's on it looks brand new and I think it was just put on by the previous owner. That's why I'm asking about it, do they smash down and lose shape or what? No the cover is not warped that I can see. It leaked everywhere not in just one spot. A new gasket will run close to $40 after tax that I don't really have to take a chance on. When I say looks brand new I mean no kinks, no bends , no tears in the rubber, nice and clean.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by munyanb
The one that's on it looks brand new and I think it was just put on by the previous owner. That's why I'm asking about it, do they smash down and lose shape or what? No the cover is not warped that I can see. It leaked everywhere not in just one spot. A new gasket will run close to $40 after tax that I don't really have to take a chance on. When I say looks brand new I mean no kinks, no bends , no tears in the rubber, nice and clean.
is it blue (felpro) with a metal core ? They should be reusable I guess, unless the rtv messed it up somehow that the po used.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Also make sure your ccv lines on top of the valve cover aren't clogged.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Also, make sure the areas around the bolt holes are flat and not caved in by overtorquing the bolts. A hammer and a block of steel or really hard wood will help support it when hammering.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Well I talked to a local mechanic, he says someone may have over torqued it , I can't see any evidence of that but the grommets could be hiding it. He said a lot of guys would double up the gasket to make it seal, it doesn't sound very good to me since it does have a rib. I think the ribs would somehow cross and leave a leak. I could be wrong , it is soft rubber. I did sit the valve cover on concrete, it sat flat but it would make sense if they had been over torqued that it wouldn't let it seat, and with the grommets there does not appear to be much tolerance on that at all. This is getting tough because it seems like a real stooge had been messing with stuff on it and had no idea what he was doing. In fact there should be a website to post people like him on so others know to avoid him, this guy actually works on his own and is doing great and has a big ford diesel that he claims to have 95 k in, I figured him out , he gets his vehicles at aiai. auctions online and resells, claims to be a diesel mechanic. People like him sure make it hard for honest people to be trusted and get business. This guy could get someone killed eventually, now I have to go over the steering and brakes very close to make sure he didn't touch them.I look at everything anyway, but usually you don't have to do a police search type of inspection on things.
But yeah I will look again at the cover and I did when I clean it up earlier , and when I installed it I did not even have to oil cap in or the bung for the air breather tube, I did have the one in for the intake, I wanted to try it before I hooked up the throttle and all that stuff. I'm really just considering junking this thing or selling it as a parts vehicle or taking it to a garage to sell for dirt cheap. It just seems more and more risky to put my name on it. I'm not there yet but getting close, it would be a loss for sure and probably will even after completion. Really I just don't like losing or giving up otherwise it would be gone already
Old 07-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

just so you know I have successfully put together several cars problem free and they still drive fine after wearing new tires completely bald, I've rebuilt a few 318 top ends, rebuilt 2 E4OD ford trannies, fixed solenoid valves in trannies, and much more, I haven't had these types of problems before, but part of this is my work area, on a decent slope and gravel outside and to much other stuff going on. I'm actually getting scared to look at anything on this one, lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You could always use ultra grey on both sides of the gasket, install it and let it cure overnight to be sure.

Max
Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Seasoned Member

I have thought of that , I was going to do that in the beginning and still may, the cover is very tight to get on, being under the firewall/cowl though and I wouldn't feel right thinking some of the gasket maker may find its way into the engine and clog it up. I have some pretty good stuff already called super blue. I was just wondering why I was having trouble with something so simple, and I think I got my answer, it was over torqued and I just missed it, but there were broken bolts in the head and the idiot used Teflon tape also, I have cheated and used it or thin wire on stripped bolts before in a pinch but I know that isn't why he used it, the bolts are on the outside of the gasket, lol.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I bought a Victor-Reinz valve cover gasket from rockauto for $24.79 and it fit slick. It's a steel and rubber sandwich with the torque-stop bushings in it. It's drier than a popcorn fart.