Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stereo help please!!! ASAP

Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Stereo help please!!! ASAP

Ok, so I am stumped. I have successfully installed over a dozen stereo systems and for some reason I cannot get this one to work. Its a sony unit in a 94 Gand limited. The stereo will only work when using the radio. It will not play cd's or work with the front aux input or usb input. i have triple checked the grounds and I connected the remote wire from the stereo to the factory amp. What could make it so only the radio works? FYI I returned the deck and tried a new one and it did the same thing. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Casey
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cshell
Ok, so I am stumped. I have successfully installed over a dozen stereo systems and for some reason I cannot get this one to work. Its a sony unit in a 94 Gand limited. The stereo will only work when using the radio. It will not play cd's or work with the front aux input or usb input. i have triple checked the grounds and I connected the remote wire from the stereo to the factory amp. What could make it so only the radio works? FYI I returned the deck and tried a new one and it did the same thing. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Casey
You have the power antenna wire out of the headunit hooked to the amp as a remote. This is why is works on radio and not CD. Use the other blue wire.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee

If you have the Infinity sound system like my Wife's does it has to be eliminated to use the aftermarket CD player. Just disconnect the AMP
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bubbasgoped
You have the power antenna wire out of the headunit hooked to the amp as a remote. This is why is works on radio and not CD. Use the other blue wire.
I connected the blue wire with the white stripe to the remote. that its the remote wire for the aftermarket stereo. The power antenna wire is solid light blue and does the exact same thing as the remote wire though, it just sends a signal to the antenna to either extend or retract, if I'm not mistaken. I installed a similar stereo in my gc about 3 months ago with no problems, this is my little brother's girlfriend's jeep and its a not working out so well. He bought the wiring harness from walmart. I think that might be part of the problem. It looks very generic (as in could be used on many vehicles) and has an extra plug that I'm not what its for. I'm assuming its for a different vehicle. I'm going to go through it today and see if I can figure it out. I'll take pictures if I can't.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by sflxj
If you have the Infinity sound system like my Wife's does it has to be eliminated to use the aftermarket CD player. Just disconnect the AMP
my gc has the infinity sound and I re connected the factory amp and it works just fine. Did you disconnect the amp at the amp itself or did you just not connect the remote wire?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by cshell
I connected the blue wire with the white stripe to the remote. that its the remote wire for the aftermarket stereo. The power antenna wire is solid light blue and does the exact same thing as the remote wire though, it just sends a signal to the antenna to either extend or retract, if I'm not mistaken. I installed a similar stereo in my gc about 3 months ago with no problems, this is my little brother's girlfriend's jeep and its a not working out so well. He bought the wiring harness from walmart. I think that might be part of the problem. It looks very generic (as in could be used on many vehicles) and has an extra plug that I'm not what its for. I'm assuming its for a different vehicle. I'm going to go through it today and see if I can figure it out. I'll take pictures if I can't.
One of the blue wires is a constant 12V remote. I am positive of that.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by sflxj
This is wrong. you can bypass the amp, but you will have to rewire.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:51 PM

Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

I had the same problematic issues when I installed my Alpine IVA-310 into my 01 GC Laredo. What has become normal to me in terms of wire colors did not apply to my jeep.

This website was a tremendous asset to me during my install.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/audiowire.htm

Unfortunately for you, this web site is tailored to 99-04 GC's. I dont mean to tease you with a tid bit of info that may or may not help you. But I just wanted to point out that on my 01 GC, the remote wire that was factory installed for the amp was brown w/white stripe and not the usual blue. My Laredo didn't come with an amp but the wiring was there.

Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM

alright, so I feel like an idiot. the harness that he bought to mate to the factory harness had a solid blue wire coming from the factory amp remote wire (dark green/red). What I didn't know was that the factory remote wire for the amp is also the power antenna wire. I just kinda matched all the wire colors and started soldering. So for future reference for those that may be doing this, attach your remote wire from the unit (blue/white) to the solid blue on the harness adapter. its the pin on the far right of the black harness if you're looking from the input side, #14 I believe, . Thanks for all your help guys, I was really hoping I didn't have to bypass the amp, much more work than I wanted to do for free, hahahaha.

Last edited by cshell; 12-29-2010 at 07:00 PM.