Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Starting Problem, Please lead in the right direction

Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 ltr V8
Default Starting Problem, Please lead in the right direction

i have on 02 grand cherokee limited and i had the starter replaced not even a year ago. at first the problem started when i went to turn the key and nothing would happen not even a click or nothing.. had to leave my car in a public parking lot.. next day i went back and she fired right up.. as the next few days went on everytime i went to start it up it felt as if the starter was getting weaker and weaker everytime i went to start it. then about 3-4 days went by went to fire it up and nothing.. had a starter relay sitting there because i thought thats what the problem was in the first place but when i went back to get my truck from the parking lot i didnt have to put it in because it fired right up.. so i was just waiting for it to do it again and see if that was the problem for sure..so yes. 3-4 days later went to fire it up and nothing happened changed the relay it fired up somehow.. the next day went it start and nothing just some clicking ccoming from the starter . do you thing this could be a solenoid problem or the starter needs to be replaced again.. please help! THANK YOU
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V-8 and 4.0 6 cyl.

Had this problem a month of so ago on my 2002 limited. It did the same thing. Dead and clicking, then starting just fine hours or days later. Check and or replace the wiring harness that goes from the battery to starter and to the main fuse box / relay box. Mine was corroded somewhere in the middle and caused too much resistance for the starter to turn over. A tow to the local dealership and $500+ later it was fixed.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sometimes all it is is a loose connection on the pos (+) battery terminal. If there isn't a gap between the sides of the clamp at the bolt, it may not be pulling the clamp tight enough. I fixed mine with a Dremel tool, cutting the gap wider after removing the bolt.