Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

seat belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default seat belt issue

hello everyone,

I have a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited.

when i bought the vehicle the last owner told me the electric seats didn't work and the drivers side was stuck all the way back whcih was fine with me as I am six feet tall. however this was a problem with other people needed to use my vehicle (not that i liked that idea anyways).

since I myself don't really like electric seats I went and bought two manual seats from a salvage yard (supposedly from a 1996).

My problem is the seat belt clip portion on the old seat was attached to the side of the seat, this manual seat don't have a place to attach it. I was told the manual seats had the belt clip attached to the vehicle itself but I can't find a spot that it would screw into.

any help hopefully with pictures would be appreciated.

thanks

ryan
Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

IDK if this helps, but my WJ has manual seats and the seat belts are mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel (console). If yours is like that, there should be holes under the carpet.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Seasoned Member

wonder if it would be easier to look from underneath the vehicle since i'll have it on ramps than just cutting into the carpet.

gives me something to look for

thanks Dave

ps still think i need the spacer on the crankshaft position sensor? I bought them so i have them but afraid now since some say i don't need them that using one will cause problems.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

you would think the connection points would be the same. I currently have electric seats and thought about making them manual since they seem to be starting to go out. please post back what you find out.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Old fart with a wrench

[QUOTE=ps still think i need the spacer on the crankshaft position sensor? I bought them so i have them but afraid now since some say i don't need them that using one will cause problems.[/QUOTE]

According to my FSM for my WJ, it states that if you DON'T use one, the CPS will be damaged when you start it.

BTW, the FSM also says the crank sensor is the CKS and the cam sensor is the CMP. I've been going with the forum's CPS for all these years!These abbreviations are as bad as the military!

Last edited by dave1123; 06-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Hello Dave1123

thanks for the info on the spacer so much conflicting info or info omitted. a couple videos recommended on getting a space others did not even mention it. hate to ruin a good mopar sensor by not using a space. i mean i spent 7 bucks on them and got like a dozen of them since no place sold them individually.

i hope i can easily see the spot for the seat belt when under neath the vehicle is there any special i should be looking for? Right now I just image a hole which is covered up by the carpet somewhere close to where the seats electrics come in (assuming they come in from the bottom through the floor which they may not i can't tell as its under the carpet).

And I'd think its there somewhere since not all of these came with electric seats i'd hate to think they had to make different bodys just for various seats configurations.

hopefully i can get to in in the next few days to a week. got to get the jeep on the ramps first which is causing a slight problem seems the yard is too soaked from the rain to get up on the ramp without the back tires digging a hole.

ryan
Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Old fart with a wrench

There should be 2 weldnuts in the sides of the tunnel. They may even be long ones closed on the ends to keep out water. You are right about stuff being the same for different models. My WJ is a base model, yet the wiring is there of the options I DON'T have, like power seats and lighted vanity mirrors. You have to search for them, but they are there. There also is a plug for the seat belt buckle sensor you have to contend with, at least on mine there is.

I replaced my driver's seat with one from an XJ because the bucket shaped one I had was sagging and uncomfortable and putting my leg to sleep. That one had the seat belt mounted on the seat itself, but I took that off and used my tunnel mounted one.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-22-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Dave is it ok to private message you?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes, it's okay. If the attachment points aren't there, we'll have to come up with something else. All the wiring should come from under the center console or along the floor under the striker plate. (threshold)

Last edited by dave1123; 06-22-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Originally Posted by rgs80074

i hope i can easily see the spot for the seat belt when under neath the vehicle is there any special i should be looking for? Right now I just image a hole which is covered up by the carpet somewhere close to where the seats electrics come in (assuming they come in from the bottom through the floor which they may not i can't tell as its under the carpet).

Not to say i know, cause i dont, but it may be difficult to spot from under the jeep. There will be years of road grime and dirt camoflaging these nuts.

Also, I had removed my seatbelts on another vehicle, which were bolted to the tranny tunnel. After fighting with the heatsheild, i found that there was no access or visible sign of where the seatbelts mounted. After peeling the carpet back, which is easier with the seat and center console removed, i found a raised metal bracket beneath the carpet, supporting the nut, with enough clearance for the end of the bolt to stick through.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I know I'm reviving the dead here, but I have an issue with my wife's 98 Grand.

It seems, from fishing around while driving, that the belt is attached to the seat.

The problem is that it is too far to the rear and it's a royal pain to buckle up as a result. Any tips or ideas?
Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I know I'm reviving the dead here, but I have an issue with my wife's 98 Grand.

It seems, from fishing around while driving, that the belt is attached to the seat.

The problem is that it is too far to the rear and it's a royal pain to buckle up as a result. Any tips or ideas?
I don't know if this would apply here but.... I had manual one piece buckets in my XJ. First I swapped over to removable headrest XJ seats with just a power seat on the driver's side. Since then have installed a passenger side power seat base. Anyway since the driver's seat belt is hooked up to the buzzer I decided to use the seat belt from the manual seat base. I knew that the wiring was solid and worked. From day one I noticed it was awkward buckling up. The female part attached to the seat was to far down between the seat and the console. Like it needed to be longer. I figured it was just me. After fighting with it for a bit it occurred to me that part of the seat belt on the power seat base might be different. Longer. Sure enough.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:38 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

I'll have to do some noggin pokin' today. It sure "feels" like the receptacle side of the seatbelt assembly attaches to the seat rather than the tunnel, but the parts blow-ups show otherwise.