Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Replacing 2002 Grand Cherokee Heater Core

Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default Replacing 2002 Grand Cherokee Heater Core

Hey guys,
I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee with a bad heater core.
The windows fog up whenever it's cool at all...even if the heater isn't on.
I get a slight antifreeze scent sometimes.

I talked to a couple mechanics. They said it is the heater core that needs replaced.

They want $800 or so to replace it.
So, I am pretty mechanically inclined in general. I have done some work on it in the past.
How difficult will it be for me to get to the heater core?
I have no idea specifically where it is located. I've been told it is buried behind the dash somewhere. Where exactly is it located? Is it in the center of the dash console?

The core only costs $75. Is it worth it for me to try and dissect the dash? How easy will it be? I have a company car that I can drive, so I don't need my grand cherokee at all for a month. (I'm taking a road trip in 1 month, so I WILL need it then.....and I'd like to be able to see out the windows!)

So, given that I have a month to mess with it and I won't need to drive it until then, how would I go about doing this?
Can someone walk me through it and where it's located?
Or, is it just a rediculously difficult job that only a mechanic's shop can do?

Also, if any of you live in the Lawrence KS area, do you know of any cheap mechanics or shade-tree mechanics that can do it? Paying $800 would really hurt the bank account.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 AM

Engine: 4.7 V8
Default Parts Diagram

Also, I forgot to mention, do any of you know where there is a 2002 Grand Cherokee parts diagram that would show me where all of the parts to the heater core system are located, as well as nuts, screws, fasteners, hoses, etc...??
Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Heater Core

i have a 2002 grand cherokee limited as well and believe the heater core is bad. I bought it a year ago and noticedthe fogging and scent of antifreeze immediately and asked the dealer about it. They toldme it was probably just some burning off and not to worry there was no leak. Now the fogging is unbearable and i dont know how much time i have left before the core blows... was wondering what you ended up doing and how much it ended up costing??
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Jaybird808
i have a 2002 grand cherokee limited as well and believe the heater core is bad. I bought it a year ago and noticedthe fogging and scent of antifreeze immediately and asked the dealer about it. They toldme it was probably just some burning off and not to worry there was no leak. Now the fogging is unbearable and i dont know how much time i have left before the core blows... was wondering what you ended up doing and how much it ended up costing??
Welcome to CF. I'll send you a Private Message.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2016
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 5.7l HEMI

Be very very patient. This particular repair rates at the top of the list of any and all major pain in the ***** situations!!! I had this happen to me once, albeit in a Ford Expedition. I decided to go the dealership route, my reasoning was the warranty and my sanity. But that was me. If your feeling froggy enough to tackle this then remember, take your time.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: V8

Plan on it taking 2 full days, that way when it takes a little over a day, you will be happy. My beast was a 93, and between 3 sets of instructions I was able to knock it out in about 11 hours total. Mine took longer because I was adding addtional wiring to run some addtional equipment. Since the dash was already stripped to the firewall I figured why not!

Ron
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Engine: 4.7

There are 3 parts to this video, I changed mine in around 12 hours after careful planning. After watching the videos a couple of times it was no problem at all.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Default After heater core installation

I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new one, I hope I get a response. I just replaced the heater core and a/c core from my 2002 grand cherokee. I put about 40 ounces of r-134a in the a/c and refilled the anti-freeze. Air works but no hot air. How long should it take before hot air starts working? Top hose hot bottom not so hot, new hose.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mcbreeden
I'm bumping this thread instead of creating a new one, I hope I get a response. I just replaced the heater core and a/c core from my 2002 grand cherokee. I put about 40 ounces of r-134a in the a/c and refilled the anti-freeze. Air works but no hot air. How long should it take before hot air starts working? Top hose hot bottom not so hot, new hose.
Welcome to CF. Sounds like you might have a problem with either the blend doors, which is more common, or the temp control ****. This will explain about the blend doors. >http://www.heatertreater.net/jeep-grand-cherokee-98-04
Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Default Reviving an old thread?

Hey guys. Brand new on this forum. Brand new to Jeeps. Just picked up a Limited for the wife. Love it.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that searching this forum and folloing the guides, I just finished replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Was not the easiest job in the world but it wasnt the hardest. Wasnt too messy either. Its pretty time consuming and there are alot of steps. Thats about it.
Just wanted to say thanks for the guides and you'll probably see me around here more as we dont plan to get rid of this thing for a while!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Revv9k
Hey guys. Brand new on this forum. Brand new to Jeeps. Just picked up a Limited for the wife. Love it.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that searching this forum and folloing the guides, I just finished replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Was not the easiest job in the world but it wasnt the hardest. Wasnt too messy either. Its pretty time consuming and there are alot of steps. Thats about it.
Just wanted to say thanks for the guides and you'll probably see me around here more as we dont plan to get rid of this thing for a while!
Welcome to CF. It's great when you can do it yourself and save money.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM

gunna start tomorrow replacing my son's heatercore...

sorry for reviving and old thread from the dead... but are there any new tricks or tips that anyone that's done this can provide that's not in the youtube vid posted here?

anything that isn't obvious that would be required? I have the heatercore, trim removal tools, freon replacement can... I'm a home mechanic for the past 40 years(ish) ahve all the usual tools that come with that and triples or more of most (I like tools... LOL)

or maybe a better way to replace it?

just trying to cover all my basis here before I jump into the weekend hell project :-)

thanks all!!!
Mike B
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The best YouTube video I'm seen yet it is FixinThatUp, "How to Replace The Heater Core in a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2 Parts)" It even gets into separating the halves of the heater itself. The only thing I would do differently is to not remove the steering column, just lower it down. The trans shift interlock is tricky to assemble correctly.

I just had mine replaced TWICE due to a defective part! It cost me $1400 because I bought the defective part, so I had to eat the labor of that one. It was aluminum and cost $39 which I'll get refunded. My mechanic found a brass&copper one for $79.

My original core was brass, but it was so corroded from pine needles and dirt it couldn't be repaired. I looked into a Mopar optional cabin air filter, but at $625, I decided to just fit a flat panel intake filter over the opening. I'll post that after I figure out how.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.