Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Newest Jeep Acquisition

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM
ESU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newest Jeep Acquisition

In almost 40 years of driving I never owned a jeep. Now in the last year or so I wind up with 3. The wife has a '10 GC Laredo, last year I picked up an 89 wagoneer limited as a project. Last week a friend of my father gave me his 95 GC Limited for nada. Ive got a few questions about it. Its a white one with the gold trim and a tan leather interior. Surprisingly it has a 6, I thought limiteds would all have a V8? The car has 150,000 miles, the a/c works, drivers side rear pw doesn't work, door locks work, pwr seats all work, 4wd works although there are no indicator lights? WHere should they be? The VIC wasn't working when I got it so I took it out low and behold it was unplugged and the plug was taped back over the wire bundle so it was done intentionally. I plugged it in and it worked, showed correct open doors, I set the date and time etc. Next day it doesn't turn on??? ANy thoughts as to why the guy disconnected it? My Dads friend was the second owner, he said it never worked for him. I don't have any manual for this is there a fuse?
Also, one of the first things I did was change the oil, air filter, fuel filter etc however that's where I run into 1st problem. The oil filter I get at autozone is not correct one. Completely different shape and size. The counterman IDs me one using the code off the old filter. ALso the engine has some white painted lettering on the block so Im thinking maybe the engine was changed?
Also front bumper is gray not white so Im assuming it was changed?
FOr now the 89 will go in the driveway and I'll use this one for a few weeks and see how it runs. That dam little wagoner was the most uncomfortable vehicle to drive. Thx for the help, Cory.
Attached Thumbnails Newest Jeep Acquisition-img-20130507-00023.jpg   Newest Jeep Acquisition-img-20130507-00024.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine

Well There's a way to test your VIC to see if it's the VIC it's self or the wires, The way I tested mine was get one from the JY and see if it works, If it doesn't then its most likely the wiring its self Which then I would just say **** it, It's nice to have but not necessary, and for the bumper, Yeah it's been replaced it should be white because the model you have there is the Limited not the Laredo, The Limited didn't have the gray plastic bumpers.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM
ESU

corvette1099, thx for the reply. Ive seen VICs on ebay for about 50 bux, my local jy doesnt have any. I also seem to have a roof mounted type console with a display that is out also, is this related to or controlled by the VIC? Im one of those guys who likes to make everything work, needed or not. Trying to get the cruise to work on the 89 wagoneer drove me nuts, still doesnt work. Interesting screen name, If my photo was at the correct angle and the garage door was up you would have seen my C3.
Cory
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Well one the previous one that I had it also had the overhead console but I do not believe those two are related because the overhead showed the direction miles till service etc but nothing related to the VIC. I would try pulling the overhead off and making sure the wires are hooked up due to your previous issue. I can pull my VIC out and take a picture of the harness and you can match it up because mine works fine. Let me know.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM
ESU

No reason to pull your vic out. I will pull mine and take a look for anything obvious and see if I can get it to power up on the bench. I will also pull the top unit and see whats going on there as well. Do you know if there is a fuse for these?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM

There should either be a rely under the hood, or a fuse on the passenger side dash sorta in the door jam. Also if I'm not mistaken, there is another rely location under the glove box. There are 2 screwsw which hold the cover thing on. (I'm not sure if your ZJ has the rubber band thing inside. If it does the screws should be near there)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 AM
ESU

Originally Posted by Corvette1099
There should either be a rely under the hood, or a fuse on the passenger side dash sorta in the door jam. Also if I'm not mistaken, there is another rely location under the glove box. There are 2 screwsw which hold the cover thing on. (I'm not sure if your ZJ has the rubber band thing inside. If it does the screws should be near there)
Yes I do have that big rubber band thingy in the glove box, wondered what that was. Now all I need is a diagram to tell me what each one is.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Ooooh that's one thing I don't have haha for the one in the glove box. The one under the hood should have one on the back of the cover
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
ESU

I think I figured out why it was disconnected. Went out today to start the jeep and dead battery. I bet this thing is a draw for whatever reason and that's why it was disconnected. Have it disconnected now, will run it a few days and the reconnect it and see what happens.