Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New jeep with electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default New jeep with electrical problems

Hey guys I'm new here, I got a 95 gc the other day and I noticed that every time I started it the overhead console and factory clock would reset. So I checked the fuses and the iod fuse was taken out, so I put a new one in and now when I shut it off and get out the overhead console and clock still are on. Also the windows still have power as well as the heater controls. I did some research and found a few broken wires in the boots that go to the doors. Still nothing, but if I pull the breaker for the windows-door locks everything will shut off like it should. Not sure if it matters but two of the door switches are broken out but it doesn't say the doors are open. I'm at a lose any help would be great.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

Anybody?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 95chameleonzj
Hey guys I'm new here, I got a 95 gc the other day and I noticed that every time I started it the overhead console and factory clock would reset. So I checked the fuses and the iod fuse was taken out, so I put a new one in and now when I shut it off and get out the overhead console and clock still are on. Also the windows still have power as well as the heater controls. I did some research and found a few broken wires in the boots that go to the doors. Still nothing, but if I pull the breaker for the windows-door locks everything will shut off like it should. Not sure if it matters but two of the door switches are broken out but it doesn't say the doors are open. I'm at a lose any help would be great.
This sounds like a wiring problem.

When you turn the ignition switch to run, the Ign Switch via an orange/black wire sends power to the fuse block. This wire feeds fuses 17 7.5A, 18 15A, 19 15A, 20 10A, 15 3A, 16 20A, and Circuit Breaker 28 30A.
Fuse 17= heater switches, fuse 19= vehicle information center and overhead console, CB 28=left front window switch. Lots of things are powered by this circuit. The ignition switch, also thru other circuits, turns on other things for normal operation like the radio.

The IOD is the ignition off draw fuse. The IOD fuse 8 15A red/white wire. It powers items when the ignition is off like the console, VIC, radio memory, left and right door lock switches, etc.

Somehow there may be some mixing of these circuits. I don't see how pulling the window/lock breaker would affect the overhead console and the clock. Something is not right. You may have to do some wire tracing to resolve the problem.