Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to Jeep...some basic questions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default New to Jeep...some basic questions please

I recently bought a 2010 JGC Limited Hemi, from a guy that only used to pull his camper. So the nice thing is, it only has 40,000 miles on it.

I absolutely love it. Love the ride, the look, etc. a few things that have come up to me. Even if i solve none I still love it. But figured I could atleast ask.

1. I don't care cause I love it, but can I be doing anything for better gas mileage? I know you don't buy a jeep for it, especially a Hemi, but was just asking. On my dashboard it says I am only averaging 8.6mpg andyway to bring that up a bit?

2. Navi/firmware? What do I do to update the navi and firmware of the system? i assume the navi you have to pay for the new maps? But what do I do to get it? Or how do I update the software in general to make sure its newest release?

3. I filled all the air in the tires including the spare and I still get the check TPMS message when I start the car and usually one ding while driving. Does that mean I have a bad sensor? What do those cost?

4. I notice the back up cam isn't that clearest? I cleaned it on the outside but can dirt can inside there is there a way to clean off inside the dome? Or is it just because it is an older camera?

5.I am assuming my is 4wd all the time/switched automatically?

Thank you in advance. Happy to be in the Jeep world now.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check you fuel mileage the old school way. Fill it up and record the mileage or set the trip mileage counter. Drive it in the normal way you always do, fill it up again and do the math; miles divided by gallons.

Once you have a baseline, you can do a tuneup or change your driving habits. Long periods of idling and letting it warm up burns fuel with no mileage recorded. Being the first off a traffic light burns more fuel also.

TPMS units in the tires have a battery in them and also can get damaged when changing to new tires. In my opinion, just something else you don't need. Problem is, it will keep annoying you until you fix it! Check with any tire store for prices.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-14-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Thanks Dave. I filled up today and will keep an eye out. I never thought of that, remote start causing the tracker to go down......duh. So more then likely I am like 12-15 mpg

Anyone help with the others?

thanks!