Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Few pretty basic Questions and requests (89 Chreokee)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few pretty basic Questions and requests (89 Chreokee)

Always been a Chevy man, but decided to get a Jeep to play with..

Bought a 89 Cherokee 4x4 off Craigslist... Story was he sold it, Kid blew it up, Kid put new motor in, but they repoed it before it was done..

Motor is IN, but most wiring etc is not hooked up.. Not a big deal.. But the motor is locked up. Starter is missing. (New Oil in Crankcase, New Filter) It's not like they Installed a Bad motor... OR they were Idiots and did

First things first, I pulled all the plugs and hosed Cyl's down with Breakfree CLP , Next will be to pull the Dist. and prime the Oil System before I try to turn it over by hand.

BUT ! here is the first Question... How does the Torque Converter bolt to the FlexPlate ? Chevies use bolts, fords use Studs... Jeep ? As it stands, I see Holes in the flexplate like Studs should have come through... But no Studs. If thats the case, the fellow who installed it may have it "Locked up" because the TC / Flexplate and bound up.. Least it sounds good in theory.

Next is a request... I need a few Pics of the front of the motor complete, I'm missing a few pullies and such and need an idea of whats missing, And a pic of where the bappery goes, there are studs sticking up like something should be sitting there (Of course, it does not currently have a battery) Thanks in advance for any help. ~Ace~
Old 02-23-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

the torque converter uses bolts to connect to the flexplate

as for your pictures, i would go to your local parts store and grab a haynes manual for about 20$. it will be the best 20$ you spend on your XJ and it will greatly help you with the little things that need to be done.

-Kyle
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

some online belt routing pictures based on your options and year you should be able to find what you are looking for.

http://images.google.com/images?q=4....-US%3Aofficial

-Kyle