Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newby here lookin for some basic answers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Newby here lookin for some basic answers

Hey everyone Thanks for readin.
I am going to purchare a 98 cherokee sport from a friend.(4.0L AT 4WD) The vehicle has 130k miles but the tranny quit just under 4 years ago. He parked it in his yard and hasn't touched it since. He wanted a new truck and this was the perfect excuse! At that time it was his daily driver and he said it ran fine otherwise.
My question right now is: what are some "must dos" before I attempt to crank it? I assume the fuel filter, but what about removing and draining the tank? Is this necessary? Are the tanks on these jokers poly or steel. I will replace the plugs and wires eventually either way but should I go ahead and do this first. What else should I check or do in preparation to bring her back to life? I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic by no means, thats why I'm asking here.
And for what it's worth she is in great shape cosmetically too and his price is only $200. I figure at that price even if I have to do a complete tranny replacement I still got a good deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

i would drain the tank. just pull shraeder valve out of fuel rail fitting and connect a hose. jump the fuel pump relay to energize fuel pump. that will get most of bad gas out.cant remember what terminals to jump but im sure ive seen a post on here.at 200 dollars you cant go wrong
Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

The fuel filter is part of the pump/sender module, it does not get replaces unless troubleshooting points directly to it. I would siphon the gas out of the tank, then as the previous poster said, energize the fuel pump and drain from schrader valve, be careful it will be pressurized to ~49 PSI. Check the spark plugs, while they are out wouldnt hurt to put a dab of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, Change oil/filter, but a battery in it give it a whirl.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.oh

I would check the oil level and see if it fires up, my bet is it will start right up. I wouldnt go draining fuel at $3 a gallon.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

4 years of sitting gas will be very bad for an engine. Definitely drain the gas, check the oil, and crank it up.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Default update on the situation

OK I committed to the purchase. Will have the vehicle probably next week. My new question is did these things come with tranny coolers on them? I purchased a Haynes book but dont see anything about one in there. The reason I asked is when I lasted spoke with the seller I asked for a description of what happened when the tranny quit. He said he was driving at highway speed and the RPMs went way up as if it slipped out of gear and when he got out and looked the trailer he was towing was covered with fluid. My hope is that it just blew a cooling line and I can fix that for a few pennys. I didn't ask but I assume if the entire tranny housing had grenaded he would have mentioned that. I don't know of any other way fluid would get outside the case.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Sounds like he was probably towing in OD and cooked the transmission. If it had a factory towing package then it would have a small auxiliary transmission cooler. Otherwise it has a cooler built into the radiator.

The transmission has an overflow tube so it's unlikely pressure would have built up enough to blow a cooling line. When the transmission gets too hot fluid pukes out of the overflow causing a bunch of smoke and fluid to fly out the back of the jeep and onto whatever it is towing.

AW4's are fairly cheap, might just look into getting a used one and swapping it in.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

A quick swap is what I have anticipated from the start but when he told me this I was hoping it could be something much easier. He was pulling a small empty utility trailer so I doubt weight and heat was an issue unless something else internal was going wrong at the same time. Guess I need to just wait till I get it here and put it on the rack instead of speculating and fishing.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by gpeade
Hey everyone Thanks for readin.
I am going to purchare a 98 cherokee sport from a friend.(4.0L AT 4WD) The vehicle has 130k miles but the tranny quit just under 4 years ago. He parked it in his yard and hasn't touched it since. He wanted a new truck and this was the perfect excuse! At that time it was his daily driver and he said it ran fine otherwise.
My question right now is: what are some "must dos" before I attempt to crank it? I assume the fuel filter, but what about removing and draining the tank? Is this necessary? Are the tanks on these jokers poly or steel. I will replace the plugs and wires eventually either way but should I go ahead and do this first. What else should I check or do in preparation to bring her back to life? I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic by no means, thats why I'm asking here.
And for what it's worth she is in great shape cosmetically too and his price is only $200. I figure at that price even if I have to do a complete tranny replacement I still got a good deal.
For $200, i wouldn't even worry about tranny or engine.....parts alone way exceed the asking price.
Just go get it!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Default update

Went and got her today. Brought it to work and put it on the rack and started inspecting to find the culprit of the problem. Turns out the bolts sheared off on the right side motor mount. When the engine dropped the fan ripped a hole in the tranny cooling line. It appears those motor mount bolts may not be a real joy to repair but if thats all it needs plus a cooling line and a few quarts of tranny fluid I will be dancing in the streets.
In going over it I see it needs wheel cylinders in the rear and I will probably go ahead and put pads on the front as well. Had some issues with signal lights and hazards but appears it was just some gremlins in the switch. Got all those working now. Only lighting issue remaining is I need to replace a headlight and I don't have any reverse lights. Thinking that may be the NSS but still researching. Any suggestions would be appreciated. All my power windows work as well as the power seats. Power locks will unlock only but I aint worried about that. Only vents I can get any air off the blower is the defrost. Im hoping once I get it running and apply some vacuum that problem will fix itself. SO far it seems that even if I end up paying someone to fix the motor mounts I still got a great deal on this thing.
Any suggestions or comments on anything I mentioned is appreciated.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Default It's Alive!!!

Drilled the motor mount bolts out no problem, replaced the broken transmission line, new brakes & wheel cylinders in the rear, new fuel pump and strainers and changed the oil. Hit the key and she fired right up. No smoke, no knock. Purrs along like it was brand new. Have put 4qrts. of tranny fluid in her but so far it does fine. Drove across the field out back and it at least shifts up to 2nd and back no problem(cant get any faster out there). Once I get it registered and inspected I will get her up to speed on the highway and see what happens out there. With less than $450 in it I am as happy as a kid at Christmas!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Awesome find.
Lets see some pictures of your new Jeep.

RSWiser
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by RSWiser
Awesome find.
Lets see some pictures of your new Jeep.

RSWiser
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Default pic

Newby here lookin for some basic answers-jeep.jpg

only pic I have so far.